GE to Lake Hughes Out-N-Back ....but!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    GE to Lake Hughes Out-N-Back
    ...aka, Mikie's Shuttle of Shame

@Voodoo Tom and I desperately needed to get some serious mileage in. We have GOT to get ready for Kokopelli which is coming up in just a couple weeks! (Can you flippin' believe it!)
    GE.LakeHughes.PNG
    So I put together an unannounced ride with Tom to do an Out and Back from GE to Lake Hughes. Sounded good. I calculated around 60 miles of dirt mostly fire road but with SOT mixed in. We got together at the Golden Eagle Trailhead at 9:30am to find approximately 65 hikers! Fortunately 1) We would probably never see them on the trail and 2) I think they were actually going to hike N2 and look at some site ruins from days of old when Old Ridge Route was a bustling major highway pre Interstate 5.

An Army of happy Hikers! They were are very friendly. Good thing... I'm sure they could have "took" us by their numbers alone!

DSCF0038.JPG

No matter, they were all very nice, and we were nice back being stoked for their outing for them.

We got ready to go and took off on our usual route down N2 to the fire road climb. Voodoo Tom brought his new secret weapon all dialed in for Kokopelli. Sheesh! It looked awesome with his all new gearing.

VT and his new gearing and rear derailleur Supah stuff!
    DSCF0039.JPG

Cruising knowing this was going to be an all day affair, we talked the whole way up the fire road climb and for that matter most of the ride. We skipped all of the GE singletrack (I know, a felony in most States) but our focus was distance and miles. We did try to get some pics from well beyond the normal GE run so here they are....

The Antelope Valley with the Edwards AFB Dry Lake bed dead center of the picture.
    DSCF0041.JPG

DSCF0040.JPG

Getting us some extra credit on SOT.
    DSCF0043.JPG

Lake Hughes ahead!

DSCF0052.JPG

Arrest that man! Who let him take a flipped up visor selfie!
    DSCF0053.JPG

These tall Yellow Flowers were everywhere in this burned section near Lake Hughes. Absolutely beautiful!

DSCF0056.JPG

DSCF0054.JPG

DSCF0058.JPG

We finally got to Lake Hughes and cruised over the General Store. I called Mrs. Watson to let her know we were half way. Just under 30 miles and it took us 4 hrs 29minutes. I forgot to grab some water from the store. To prove a huge mistake later...

The Yeti and Ibis behaved very well together.
    DSCF0061.JPG

DSCF0064.JPG

DSCF0063.JPG

Across the street was the famous "Rock Store", traditionally a motorcycle hangout, bikes of all types gather for brew and grub. Today it was the Harley clan.

Tom wanted to
    "Get on his bad motorcycle and ride alright.. alright.. alright.. alright alright!". Looks like that Chopper is sporting No2!
    DSCF0065.JPG

The Rock Store.
    DSCF0062.JPG

So we turned around and headed back the way we came. It starts off with a VERY long grind climb back up to elevation. I started out feeling great! But about 2/3'rds into the climb, I started to unravel. I should have picked up some water for my water bottle. The Tailwinds was getting that chalky taste that just does not satisfy thirst. My legs started cramping up, my shoulders were beginning to get sore from propping my upper body up for 6 1/2 hours straight, neck muscles were getting tight. Crap! We were not even close to the "WALL OF DEATH". How was THAT going to go. Nearing the top, I decided to pull the plug. At least for me.

Tom said he could finish but was NOT relishing the thought of the "Wall of Death" either.
    We hunted for a cell signal and I finally called Cathy and asked her to meet us at the connection of Sawmill Road and Elizabeth lake Road. I had, had enough!

We finished the climb which was excruciating for me and got to the Burnt Peak Junction and dropped down Saw Mill road to the highway where we only waited for Cathy for like 15 minutes. Nice!

I was toast. Legs were cramping really bad now. Voodoo Tomwas tired but a lot better off than me.

Cathy took us to the GE trailhead head and we unloaded the gear and we headed our own ways. Tom is really a strong climber.... I used to be. I'm pretty disappointed with my performance today. But I will regroup and re challenge!

Bike On!
    Mikie

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Nice RR.

Sucks that you had to bail out.....but at least you know where you made your mistake and how to correct it next time.

Even on days where everything lines up correctly, you can still have a bad day.

Sure you will slay it next time.

3. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Not what you wanted, but still a good ride... You and Tom are always welcome to come south for some good death march training rides. There's a guy down here who specializes in arranging them... :thumbsup:

4. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Sounds familiar Mikie.
    Voodoo> What kind of weapon is that and, it is a 29er?

5. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Here's my take...The company was great, the views were great, the bike was great, the new e13 9-44 cassette was beyond great, just the 2 hour granny gear climb 35 miles deep in to the ride wasn't so great. I donated a little blood from the bushwacking otb episode so it seems the day was complete to me.

Strange seeing pics of myself not riding the Kona. That chopper was a voodoo death trap if I've ever seen one.

And most importantly Cathy rocks...

6. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Ibis Ripley..29er that doesn't feel like a 29er..great all day bike

7. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Nice job, guys. Nice job, Cathy! TFPU.

High gravity days show up unannounced. Nothing more to say. Way to give it all you had! That'll serve you better on Koko than finishing a ride feeling perky.

8. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Mikie,
    Have you tried pickle juice or sweet relish packs??? They really work for cramps!!

9. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yes! I have...
    But it had been so long since I've had leg cramps, I stopped carrying. Thanks for the reminder @scan ...

10. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    How about trying some real food. Everyone I ride with has dropped the flavor of the week-Tailwinds.
    I stick with nuts, fruit, sandwiches, and power bacon. No gels, no shakes, just real food.
    Gotta have real stuff, because sometimes I get the munchies!

11. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    Good work @Mikie and @Voodoo Tom. That's what you get for not inviting me on that ride. When I did that route with @William the first thing we grabbed from the store was water, duh! Second, grab the twinkies and whatever else you're craving.

Real food is a very good point dehidrated fruit works for me, dates, mangoes. That one time I packet hard boiled eggs with salt and mustard. You should try the trail side tortas like @Sasquatch9billion

12. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
  13. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    50 miles over 8,000 feet... Tailwind + one handful of trail mix that I brought just in case. You guys should have come south for our death march.

14. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    You all are very kind. Here's the deal.
    Since I started using Tailwinds I have bonked less than ever. I happen to be one of those guys that hydrates A LOT on all my rides. Guys like J-Zilla that carries two water bottles for a trip around the moon? That ain't me...:unsure:

At the Lake Hughes store, I did eat a small bag of mixed nuts, but got side tracked and did not get water for my water bottle. I have found I can go all day on Tailwinds PROVIDED I have a bottle of water to cut the chalky feel you get after hours on Tailwinds alone. I just plain got low on Tailwinds and was out of pure water.
    I started getting cottonmouth real bad and trying to cure it with Tailwinds ain't gonna happen. That threw my mindset, on top of starting to get tired AND getting some leg cramps.

After the fire in Lake Hughes a couple of years ago, they closed the road due to horrendous erosion from unfettered rain flooding off the bare hillsides. So the road is closed, and narrowed to sandy Singletrack with a lot of exposed rock making for a really tough climb back up.

Plus next time (which I am thinking about doing it again next weekend) I will be a little more mentally prepared, and wiser....

15. MTBHotRod

MTBHotRod Member

Name:
    Rodney Thompson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Mikie, I remember when you and I finished that ride several years ago in preparation for Koko. If I remember correctly one of our compadres had to have his wife pick him up at the general store. That was one hot day in the saddle but you finished. I think it was the big pickle you were carrying. Haha. My point is it happens to the best of us. Don't be too hard on yourself.

16. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    This ride popped up and I couldn’t resist! I’ve done this ONE WAY and it was pretty big! The first time I attempted it I had to be picked up as well, we were trudging through deep snow and ice and freezing our cans off! The second time I was prepared and really had fun! Someday I’d like to do the out and back with you amigo! Great RR! :0}

17. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Let's plan a repeat! I missed it the first time around.

Mikie, Runs with Scissors and Faust29 like this.
  18. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Looks good to me!

Mikie, UPSed and Runs with Scissors like this.
  19. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Hmmmmm....

Mikie and UPSed like this.