Gaaaassss TAX!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by hill^billy, Oct 31, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

It’s being unleashed upon us tomorrow. I think it’s going to save the world. Diesel goes up 20 cents per gallon. Can you say pass on the extra cost to the customer? For everything! Will this thread get any ❤️? Did you vote for it?

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Encourage everyone to drive more fuel efficient vehicles....then tax them more later when they do that.

It's B.S.

Especially since I have a diesel.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Yes.
    I think an extra $30-$100 a year is a minimal price to pay for cleaner air, better roads, improved infrastructure and better mass-transit.

safetyslogan.gif

v3ff7FY.jpg

Mikie, LLPoolJ, riiz and 1 other person like this.
  4. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I thought it was also to house the homeless?

Mikie, DangerDirtyD and Cyclotourist like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Those, too!

Mikie, hill^billy and DangerDirtyD like this.
  6. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Typical Moonbeam.

We didn't get to vote for it. In direct violation of the California Constitution the legislature passed, and the gobernador signed, this tax increase.

7. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

“30 to $100 per year?” More like $ 800 to $1,000 for my diesel! And add on for the pay it forward for everything else and I don’t want to think about it! On my way to pay my registration fee now!

8. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo

I do not have the illusion that it will be used as stated. It'll go into the general fund.
    Although LA could use all their roads repaved, it ain't gonna happen.

da big hills, Mikie, kioti and 5 others like this.
  9. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I concur. Maybe slow down a bit on the freeway, and avoid jackrabbit starts off the line at intersections, and avoid drive thrus, and consolidate trips, and pull into your garages and close them behind you and wait a few minutes before you turn off your engines. You juuuuuust might understand, although I doubt it for some of youz.

Mikie, MrGreedom and Cyclotourist like this.
  10. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I'm working off the presumption that this is a business related vehicle, so the extra fuel costs would be an expense you file against your income and write off on your taxes.

Edit: And if everyone else in your profession is purchasing fuel at the same rate, that cost would get passed on to your customers. How many customers do you service a year? 100? That would be another $10 you charge each one over the year. Less than a dollar a month per customer.

And as time is money, if it gets more vehicles off the road, improves the roads, reduces congestion, then getting from point A to B, C, D would be faster. Saving five minutes drivetime a day for five days a week over 48 weeks means you've saved yourself 20 unproductive driving hours. What's your billing at? $50 an hour? Not only are you writing off the extra fuel expense, you're making $1,000 not sitting in traffic. And the air that I share with you is cleaner. Maybe the asthma that two of my three children and my wife have will improve.

Not trying to be contrarian, I respectfully don't see what the down side is?

MattB, Mikie, Danimal and 3 others like this.
  11. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I'm willing to take that chance. I did the math, and for me it is $24 a year. I'm willing to gamble that it will be used correctly.

Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  12. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Remember Prop 42? You have zero basis for assuming this round will be different.

Danimal, hill^billy, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  13. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I am sincerely losing zero sleep over this.
    Except when I need to get albuterol for my coughing kids in the middle of the night.

Mikie, Danimal and DangerDirtyD like this.
  14. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Just another money grab from the great state of California. :thumbsdown:

Danimal, hill^billy, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  15. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    The gas tax won't amount to much for me. The registration increase will be a little more painful. What will be painful is remembering every time I fill up or pay my registration that most of the money isn't going toward roads or improving any form of transportation anyone will use. A big chunk of it is going to pay for Jerry Brown's toy train to nowhere. That's what galls me.

MolarM, herzalot, hill^billy and 7 others like this.
  16. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    This is a volitile subject for me but I totally promise I will keep my cool.
    If the fine folks in government of California treated the California budget as their home budget, this thread would not have been posted. The challenge is our Californian government have no truth in advertising. Name one time... ever, that they actually did what they claimed with public funding.

Over and over and over again they vote in taxes and fees and place bond measures on ballots and Californians vote them (because they make the cause sound so glorious) in, and yet... we still do not have the funding to maintain any one of our State concerns. Underfunded schools, underfunded highway repairs, underfunded water resources, underfunded police force, underfunded Forestry, etc, etc, etc. How much funding comes from the California Lottery and actually pays for our education system nowadays? It promised to solve all world problems for our schools. Did it? No.

We pay taxes to fund our Forestry yet that’s not enough so we have “Wilderness Passes”, I was just up at Wrightwood twice in the same month and both times the bathrooms were so horrid, I wouldn’t use them, plus there was no toilet paper anyway. So is the combined funding making your experience better? No.

Jerry Brown stated during his campaign to once again further destroy California, “No new taxes.” Jerry Brown has been a significant player in vast tax increases in California during his latest debaucherous stay, and when he could not push a tax, he calls it a fee. I pay through my property taxes for fire protection. Two years ago, Jerry did not think that was enough for those who live in high fire areas, so he implemented a “Fire Fee” of an addition $125.00 that I had no choice to pay. That was just recently repealed by the people of California as it should have been.

We have been taxed to death in California. Now an added gas tax and significant jump in vehicle registration. To fix the roads we already pay taxes on to have maintained. The public of California have already been given the go ahead to gather signatures to place the repeal of this outrageous gas tax on the next ballot.

I’m sick and tired of Jackwads like Jerry Brown and cronies who follow and believe in his governorship, who are giving free reign to “Illegal Aliens”, giving them drivers licenses, health insurance, Santuary State BS, and social security numbers all of which comes out of yours and my tax collection.

Trump is right, we need a government cleansing to drain the swamp, and if there was ever a State that needs it more, it’s the State of California.

So in short, yeah, I’m totally against income theft of the California resident.
    I think I’m done... :rolleyes:

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Well considering I just drove 2000 miles in the last week and a half...some for work, some for personal, that equals 75 gallons....so $15 in extra taxes. Yes, I will be able write off and recoup some of that money....but it is still $$ that I have to lay out of my pocket throughout the year.

I bought a diesel because it was supposed to be cleaner, and get better fuel economy.

Not looking forward to how much my registration is going to go up.

18. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

@Cyclotourist > I did go pay my registration renewal today and payed $301, the nice lady at AAA had told me that her friend in Arizona just paid hers, for a 2017 vehical and it was $55. The way that you put it sounds all neat and tidy, yes being a buisness owner I can write off my gas and charge my customers more, but at the same time I and we, will also be charged more for all the merchandise that is trucked by diesel vehicles, I don’t think that the small percentage of my write off is significant. Besides the money never goes where they say it’s going.
    I can aford it, but I am blown away at the poverty these days all around us, people are barley getting food on the table the way it is, and now to pay more at the pump. I guess we have no choice, I can’t wait to see it clear all the homeless off the streets and out of the washes ,and fix us all up. Well that just would not be California. Pessimism, I try to push it away, but history won’t let me.

MolarM, Cyclotourist, kioti and 4 others like this.
  19. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Well damn said Mikie!

20. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I hate the homeless and illegal immigrants that blight communities and don’t contribute much more than fast food wrappers on the streets. I hate Chinese cash offers and money laundering; I hate raging Persians on the roadways; and I hate Greeks who like NASCAR and sport fishing in jurisdictions that do not regulate catch. Behavior and culture is learned, but it can be coerced too. I agree when people lie they shouldn’t expect or deserve to be acknowledged again. But I don’t care if the money collected through SB 1 gets sent to Pyongyang, getting people to drive less is better for everyone, and making it more expensive for them to use their vehicles is an effective, humane way to reduce driving. Buck up bitches. It’s gonna be a long road ahoe.

MolarM, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  21. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    The World According to Jerry (and legislature minions):

It doesn't matter one bit that the air today is 90% cleaner than it was in the 1960s. Or that we have l0wer emissions with twice as many cars on the road and three times the population. 35 years ago (I know this because I lived here back then also) it was rare to see the San Gabriels or the Santa Anas. If we just increase the gas tax, then people will get out of their cars. But then, which Metro line do I take to Golden Eagle?

The World As It Is:

We can see the mountains more often than not, because the air is already cleaner. If you move the bar every year, then you'll never get to "clean air." Reality is we will impoverish everyone by trying to make an infinitesimal improvement in air quality, and to fund the toy train, and we will still fail. At some point you have to accept that we've gone about as far as we can go and you have a tradeoff for a decent standard of living vs "clean enough." Asthma is an allergy condition; it can be exacerbated in some (there are no absolutes) and not in others. My daughter had asthma when she was younger, she has had no symptoms in ten years.

22. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Well written Mikie, and I agree 100%. I think all of us are for clean air and well maintained roads. The challenge is seeing how wasteful and inefficient the government is with our money that could and should have been used to maintain the infrastructure.

Cyclotourist, Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  23. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    The reality is that the majority of us drive to go to work and run errands to be able to live. People are still going to HAVE to drive to get to their office or workplace. The public transportation system here is lacking and non-existent in most areas. Nor is there really any plausible way of building a public transportation system here that will work. We're not New York City where everything is compacted into a few square miles. This tax will not reduce the amount of miles driven, it will just take money out of the pockets of people that could have spent it on other things.

Cyclotourist, kioti, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  24. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    There is a Senate Bill 743 for that.

Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  25. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I wouldn’t want to breathe the air in your Utopia.

Cyclotourist, Mikie and sir crashalot like this.
  26. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Coercion works in both directions...guess who will be first up against the wall when the revolution comes? And make no mistake, it is coming.

27. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    You already are. That's the beauty of it. I don't suffer from hubris and assume it's Utopia, nor will I force you to conform to my vision. You are free to get out of your car. What you are not free to do is ruin my quality of life with Utopian schemes that are going to fail every single time. I'm not willing to pay for those failures just to prove you wrong in the end.

28. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    No I’m not. You didn’t get your way with sB1. You’re still complaining about the state of affairs in California. Let’s not regress to the air quality of the past, which is what would happen if we let people chose for themselves. You epitomize the tragedy of the commons. And that you can continue to take yourself seriously in the face of that means this conversation is risky and will result in an impasse. On a personal level, you have helped me on multiple occasions, and I appreciate you for that. Also, thank you for commuting.

29. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    The money is not going to go towards fixing anything. I'm glad my car gets 42mpg and as others have said slow down 5mph on the freeway and the cost will be negligible.

30. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Another well said statment, I remember how bad it was, now there is the additive for diesel fuel, all the new trucks are equipped with an extra tank, makes for cleaner exhaust. It’s good to at least slow down our demise for a future generation to figure out.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?