From the Oaks to Weir Canyon to CHSP to Weir to Oaks...I think I'm dead

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Runs with Scissors, Feb 7, 2016.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    MtnbikeJ called this ride. Faust29 and I, being the naive sheep that we are (okay, that I am) thought this would be fun.

It was.

I'm not doing a long RR. I don't know 90% of the trails I was on - this was the first time I've been to CHSP and I'm not that familiar with Oaks yet. Weir's aren't officially named.

Bovinian Delight and Raptor Ridge in CHSP are worth the price of admission. :thumbsup: Every ache and pain. Absolutely gorgeous, fun singletrack. By themselves they make the ride worthwhile.

J is a taskmaster. He made me finish. We went a long way and climbed a lot. It was fun. It hurt. About mile 40 my legs started barking. I told them to shut up and they LAUGHED at me.

I walked a hell of a lot of the second half, but I'm not proud. It was still good. Major kudos to J and Faust for patiently waiting for me.

J mentioned that I must have reached in the drawer this morning and pulled out my 4,000 foot legs. :geek: Too bad it was a 7,000 foot ride.:eek:

Couldn't ask for a better tour guide or riding companions. I almost didn't notice how much it hurt.

EDIT: I think this is Raptor Ridge.
    20160207_120346.jpg

upload_2016-2-7_16-30-23.png

2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Great ride... Jason is a great tour guide, and I always enjoy riding with Mark. Any time... :thumbsup:

I'll add that the variety of terrain is pretty crazy. We rode pavement, fire roads, mulch, sidewalks, double track, single track, planked horse trails, SART, railroad beds, and probably a few more surfaces that I'm forgetting. A little bit of everything... :thumbsup: I think at one point J was ready to get on the freeway. See picture below...

image.jpeg

The highlight for me has to be Chino Hills... It started off as the kind of fire road that Herz complains about, but everything was green, as far as the eye could see. Green hills and valleys that looked like Ireland. At the top of the fire road climb, we turned onto pristine single track, surrounded by green... And we capped off our Chino Loop with an equally impressive single track descent that reminded me of some sections of Golden Eagle.

That was a good ride...

Flag in Santiago Oaks:
    image.jpeg

Riding along the tracks to Chino Hills. This was not fun going into the wind. Much better on the way back!

image.jpeg

Lots of green! As far as the eye can see.
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Horses... Please keep the gate shut. :stop:
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    The 1st word for the day is WINDY. We had a bit of it today.

The 2nd word for the day is WARM. We had a whole lot of that today.

I have done a version of this ride several times, so I knew what was ahead of us.

Put the call out to @Runs with Scissors and @Faust29. Both were game.

We knew it was going to be windy....just didn't realize it was gonna be this windy. I rolled out the house at 6:00 to ride over to meet the others...it was already 65* . Got to Trails End and met up, and we were off. We had a couple of miles of flats to allow the others to gets the legs warmed up. Then we hit the bottom of the 3 B's....er Oak Trail. UP and over the top, we were welcomed with very gusty winds. Dropped down and climbed up to the top of Deer Trail. Chose to descend Deer early in the ride, that way we could bypass it on the way back later....turns out it was the right call.

Onto the trails out in Weir Cyn, going up the Weir Cyn Trail climb, noticed that RWS was pushing his bike....uh, oh. Too early for that. He wasn't sure he was going to be able to do the whole ride. Said he would reassess when you got over to Chino Hills. I kept telling him he pulled the wrong legs out of the drawer this morning....maybe it was dark, and he just grab the first ones he put his hands on....4000' legs don't work well on 7000' rides.

We fought the wind all the way to Chino Hills....all the way to the back entrance at Lower Aliso...at this point we got our first National Geographic moment...one horse mounting another...sorry, no pics. Finally heading up Lower Aliso, we got some tailwind. I warned the guys about the climb up Southridge to Telegraph to 4 Corners. Made a quick stop for water refill and we were going up. Wind seemed to be blowing across the trail going up Southridge. Just above the Spur Connector from Southridge to Telegraph RWS was ready to allow Faust and I to go on without him.....NOPE, no gonna happen. We continued to push on, and before long we made it to 4 Corners. Quick break and we headed up Bovinian Delight. Fun mellow singletrack climb and topped out on Southridge. Rollercoaster up and down along Southridge and finally down Ditmer. Then the right turn at the bottom and we head back up Telegraph towards 4 Corners. Fortunately, again it is a pretty mellow spin up to 4 C. At one point RWS says the sitting and spinning was killing his legs....my reply, "stand up and hammer".

Back at 4C we head up Raptor. Pass a couple of horses at the top, then look back and RWS is playing Horse Whisperer. Fun, fast, and furious run down Faultline and spin back over to water refill spot. At this point we were once again facing a bunch of miles fighting a headwind. Hit a couple of the singletracks along the way back to the Lower Aliso gate. Saw our second Nat Geo moment....a coyote hunting for small critters.

Making the right turn to follow the RR tracks we were finally welcomed with a tailwind....yea!!!!!! Actually we would have a tailwind all the way back to Weir Cyn. One last stop at Ronald Regan Park for water, we began our final assault to finish. With the tailwind, it went by pretty quickly, even RWS was able to ride a bit more, but he was pretty much done. Once back into Weir Cyn I finally gave in and showed RWS a few of the alternate/easier routes, while Faust and I stayed on the intended route.

One last climb past Deer Trail....think we would have just had to bury RWS's body out there somewhere had we made him climb that at this point. Finally it was all downhill. Short time later we made it back to Trails End. It was still warm and pretty windy, so I chose to just hop on the road and take the short route home.

I told RWS that my routes usually don't have easy bail out points....that I purposely make them so you still have to pay the penalty to take them. Plus riding solo usually, makes it less likely that I take one.

All in all a good ride. Felt good most of the day. Fun day on the bikes with the guys. Glad you all joined in for some suffering and fun, but mostly suffering.

67.5 miles / 7575' ascent

Screenshot (201).png Screenshot (202).png

4. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Nice ride guys, way to power through it RWS!

Also, Faust you should really look for your missing derailleurs. :p

5. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    I'm just starting to get confident with the one gear! Catalina Stagecoach climb here I come! :thumbsup:

6. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I still need to sign up for that.

7. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo, Ripley V4 & Timberjack
    Nice ride. I've ridden all of those trails, but definitely not in the same day! Kudos to you guys.

8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    You're going to love the beginning climb! The first aid station is at mile 3. :whistling:

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  9. Louis Zegarra

Louis Zegarra Member

Name:
    LouisZ
    Current Bike:
    Giant Stance
    Wow, you guys did what I would do in 4, maybe 3 rides. At this point, my limit is a paltry 12-15 miles ride. Did you guys made the Southridge climb non-stop, or was there some death march involved.

Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

2 of us made it all....however there were a few stops to regroup...this was by choice not necessity. Normally I don't stop.

11. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    <---is number three, who required the regroup stops. And I am always grateful for their willingness to make it a no-drop ride. It allows me to go places I'd probably not otherwise go. :thumbsup:

12. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    There was only one guy out there who didn't need the stops... And his avatar is not a cup of espresso from Augie's in Redlands. :whistling:

13. Louis Zegarra

Louis Zegarra Member

Name:
    LouisZ
    Current Bike:
    Giant Stance
    You sound like my kind of ride partner :)

Runs with Scissors and mtnbikej like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?