Fox Ranger Shorts

Discussion in 'Shorts' started by Mikie, Dec 25, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I started riding in the very early 90’s. There was no such thing as “Baggies”. My cycling channeled through racing so Lycra was the shorts. I think Pearl Izumi was the pants of choice. Form fitting, cool in hot weather, padded for hours of seated cycling. Very efficient clothing for cycling and racing.

So when the Baggies came on the scene they made no sense to me. It was fashion before function in my eyes. I stuck with Pearl Izumi. Fun jesting from my compadres sticking to Lycra, I tried a couple of pairs but found them hot or bulky, catching on the nose of my saddle, so I shunned Baggies.

@mtbMike threw out there in a post some Costco shorts for $12 bucks that worked pretty well as riding shorts. I bought a pair and was surprised I liked them. And I went back and bought several pair. So I wore my P.I.’s under them for the pads, but often taking the shorts back off when I got too hot while riding.

A50309FD-8C44-44A5-8851-E665CC6EF68A.jpeg
    ENTER THE FOX RANGER CYCLING SHORTS

@SnakeCharmer bought some Fox Ranger shorts and said they were the wrong size (36). I said I was interested and he brought them to a ride. I took them home and tried them on. Wow! Perfect fit!

So yesterday, I tried them on a ride and I have to say, I was very impressed. To be honest, some things you want to notice, others you don’t. For example, I DON’T want to “think” about my shorts on a ride. Once on the bike and about 50 pedal strokes into the ride, I was already on to other things which is exactly how it should be!

The Fox Ranger seems long legged but it was not at all noticeable while riding. The material is extremely lightweight. This pair had two front pockets with the actual pockets made of a mesh material. There is no zipper in the front, instead it is sewn half way up and has two snaps to close the pants. Didn’t even notice until afterwards. They come with an undergarment pad which is super light. The pad worked great. Completely forgot about my saddle. What was interesting was the padded underpants were sewen together with instructions to cut them apart upon purchase. I left them attached for the first ride, but cut them apart for washing.

What was nice is the crotch is tailored well so I found they did not catch on the saddle nose. That’s a big one for me. The last thing I want is to be bombing some technical section and be focused on uncatching my shorts from my saddle trying to get my weight back and going over the bars into boulders of death! Although I didn’t ride any technical yesterday, getting on and off the saddle was effortless.

Baggy enough to ping the @herzalot fashion meter, yet clingy enough to meet my function meter, these shorts were a win win in both camps.

I would consider these shorts summer riding gear. You would need to add to them for warmth in cold winter.

PROS:
    • Light breathable material form fitting enough to do their job of NOT being noticeable when riding
    • Do not appear to catch on saddle
    • Pad works well
    • Meets @herzalot fashion standards
    CONS:
    • Pockets seem pointless as the shorts are so slim that keys or phone would feel bulky while riding
    • No rear pocket for “after ride” wallet. What’s the point of fashion if you gotta toss your wallet in your front pocket to get fish tacos and beer afterward?
    OVERALL:
    My first positive experience wearing Baggies/Shorts that gave me hope that you can have function and fashion in the same shorts. With an added rear pocket for before and after ride activity, these were a winner winner chicken dinner pair of pantelones!

HBkites, Cornholio, herzalot and 11 others like this.
  2. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    These are my first, current, and only MTB shorts. I've no basis for comparison, but was want for nothing, which I suppose is the point. Just ordered another pair.

Cornholio, herzalot, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  3. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Thanks Mikie. I figured the fashion police had to be hot on your tail—Lycra on a long travel bike is a serious violation in some counties.

I haven’t owned a pair of rangers in a while. They do a good job but I thought the liner shorts wore out too quickly. Please update your review after a dozen or so washes, I’m curious if that’s still the case.

4. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    What on earth is the world coming to!

:bang: Too many changes:gag:

5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Thanks!
    One thing is for sure. We NEVER use a dryer to dry our riding clothes. Always hang dry. Removes the beating and heat they take in a dryer.

Cornholio, DangerDirtyD, tick and 4 others like this.
  6. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Agreed!

DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  7. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Fox Ranger, Troy Lee Skyline and Shimano Boardwalk shorts are all "trim" great fitting shorts. Not too baggy and not too tight. All are longer on the inseam, but not too long and all are super-comfortable.

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I use the Specialized Enduro Comp short. Very similar to the Ranger, with no back pockets, and you can wear, or not wear, any liner you like.

Mikie likes this.
  9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    @Mikie, I rarely ever bring my entire wallet on a ride and if I do, it stays in my pack and I only pull out whatever I need (my debit card/cash) if we are going to stop for chow after a ride. So, that erases the "bulging wallet syndrome" concern.

But,...I take it a step farther. Being the "closet weight weenie" that I am, bulk/dead weight is not something I easily agree to haul on rides.

I suggest that you leave the wallet at home all together (unless you are on a multi-day road trip). I simply grab my ID, debit card, AAA card, med ins card, auto ins card, and auto registration. All of that if I am driving and none of the auto stuff if I am not driving. I add whatever cash I will need for the ride and I rubberband it all together. A clip also works.

This makes for a slim, low profile, light weight bundle of necessities that will fit into a secured pocket. Try it if you have not already. :)

DangerDirtyD, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Agreed on not bringing the whole wallet. I usually just stick my license and debit card in the back of my phone case... Sometimes, I use the heavier phone case that has a card holder built in.

And I just ordered a pair of Rangers. Damn interweb reviews on random forums!

herzalot, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  11. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Roger that. The ones I owned years ago had chamois that would degrade long before the shorts themselves were done. So I’m partial to separate pieces now.

But the fit is good and the price is usually right.

Mikie likes this.
  12. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Love Rangers!!! Miss that they don't have a zipper for dehydrating, but not a game changer. I've noticed too that some of them are lighter/cooler material than others for some reason:confused:

Mikie likes this.
  13. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Lol, also per @herzalot ,
    "Wash them after each use for God's sake!" :Roflmao

herzalot, Mikie and Voodoo Tom like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Rangers have undergone a lot of revisions over the 4 years I’ve been wearing and buying them. My original black/gray Camo fit great, had just the right pockets, and the liner worked pretty well. They had a zip fly and double snaps. The next version I bought eliminated the zip fly. Still very comfortable, and cut perfectly for performance, and still the right pockets. Improved liner. The current version eliminated Velcro waist cinching in favor of an integrated belt with a strange hook system. They are still cut perfectly for me, still have useful pockets and the belt system works really well, even if a little awkward to unhook. The liner is improved yet again.

@Mikie, isn’t there a fairly spacious pocket in the left leg with a flap that you can put a wallet in easily? Phone in the other leg? Leaves hand pockets for keys or whatnot. I’m talking after ride of course. I don’t like stuff in my pockets while riding.

I also like the Troy Lee Ruckus, but the Fox liner is more comfortable. Rangers are winners for me.

15. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I’ve had the same pair of Rangers in my shorts rotation for 4+ years but the zipper has just started lowering on its own. I thought I was forgetting to zip up after making lemonade and got a few “psst, your fly is down” comments from strangers. Turns out the zipper is shot so I am retiring them.

The liner that came with them wore out but I liked the fit and pockets so much I kept wearing them with other bibs and liners, my most worn shell by far. Other than the seat bone wear spots the material looks good, even after drying them in the dryer. I’ll be heading to the Path this week to try some new shorts on. We’ll see if I end up with Rangers or something else this time, just depends if they have fushia or not. I’d maybe settle on magenta.

Mikie, tick, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  16. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    fox rangers.. they go on sale.. I buy one.. they keep getting a bit better w/ each new version...but then the Costco shorts work fine too.. w/ the fox ranger liners...

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  17. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    I have a pair of size 34 Shimano Boardwalk shorts for sale on classified if anyone in SCV is interested almost 40% off for the 2019 model. I needed the 32s and the 34s are just sitting here in the bag. PM me...

Mikie likes this.