Forest Gump Ride....I Just Kept Going Til I Got Tired

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtnbikej, Sep 5, 2016.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    After a weekend of small rides, I figured I would get in a longer ride today. However it would be different. Slept in til 8:00. Had breakfast. Sat around and watched the WC DH Replay.

Finally got on my bike at 11:00. I know....usually I am finishing about that time.

The plan.....Ride from the house, through Oaks/Weir Cyn, over to Chino Hills, do a loop, then head back through Weir/Oaks.

In my head I had 57 miles and about 7000'. Sent my wife a text that I would be home before dark.

11am start had me worried a bit about how warm it was gonna be. It actually would not be an issue all day.

Gotta admit, I didn't feel that great when I rolled out. Legs just felt heavy and tired. Up Oak, down Yucca Ridge then up Coachwhip. Ran into some friends at the top of Deer. Dropped down and headed out to Weir Cyn. Breeze felt good and felt like I was fighting a headwind....again, which had me looking forward to the tailwind on the way home. Out into Weir Cyn and then out the bridal trail. Made a quick stop at Ronald Reagan Park for water before continuing on. Down Wood Chips and onto Santa Ana Canyon. I was making a good effort of not doubling back on the trails if I could avoid it. So I hopped on SART and took the trail to Green River Golf Course. As i approached the new parking spaces that they put in next to the freeway, I was surprised at the 3 different piles of broken window glass. :eek: I'd recommend never parking there.:thumbsdown::stop:

Over the RR tracks and on over to Lower Aliso Trail.

IMG_1913.JPG

As soon as I turned on to Lower Aliso, I was smacked in the face by a stout headwind. Wasn't looking forward to this. :cautious: o_O Put my head down and just pedaled. Short time later reached the Rolling M Ranch and refilled my bottles. I was finally starting to feel better.

Around the corner and started the climb up Southridge to Telegraph. Again, fighting the headwind. By this point I had turned my Garmin onto the map screen so I was not seeing stats, especially my heart rate. Was just gonna go by feel. The climb up went ok...not fast, not slow. Short break at 4 Corners then headed up Bovinian Delight to Southridge.....

IMG_1914.JPG

Not a hard trail, but it is getting loose in some spots. It goes by quickly and you reach Southridge. Turned right, and a bunch a series of ups and downs...one stout little climb, then down Diemer. Another right turn on Telegraph and I was heading back up to 4 Corners. Legs were feeling pretty good about this time. At least it felt like I was moving pretty good. Back at 4 Corners in no time and a quick break.

IMG_1915.JPG

Raptor takes you over to Faultline.....the 2 combined make for a great fast flowing singletrack. There was quite a strong crosswind in sections...that would cause a little havoc when the front end would get off the ground.

IMG_1916.JPG
    IMG_1917.JPG

This drops you down back onto Lower Aliso. It had been a very quiet day out there to this point. However I did have a pair of surprised horse riders.....ooopsies. :eek:

I bypassed the Ranch cause I made the plan of going up Bane Canyon and coming back down Bane Ridge, and knew there was water up a little ways. Made short work of the climb up. Bane Ridge is going to get taken over soon by the Russian Thistle. Again the crosswinds were a little tricky on the high speed singletrack. Hit up a couple more singletracks on the way back out Lower Aliso. Seeing how open most of the trails were, I hopped on to Avulvall Fenceline Trail....today it was great. It becomes impassible when the thistle/tumbleweeds take over.

This drops me back at the RR tracks.....and the afternoon headwind from hell. Nothing you can do except pedal. Good thing this section goes by quickly. Back out on the bike path heading back to Santa Ana Cyn Rd...this would be one of the small sections that I doubled back on. Instead of heading back up the bridal trails at Serrano, I continued up SA Cyn Rd a little and detoured over into Deer Canyon Preserve.

IMG_1918.JPG

I little more climbing over here....but there is also water. Quick refill and I was off. By this time, it was getting late, but I still had about 1.5 hours of daylight. Made my way back into Weir Cyn and back into the Oaks. Was still feeling good so I headed up Deer Trail.

IMG_1919.JPG

It was about 6:40 now. I knew daylight was disappearing....so down Chutes into IRP. Hopped on Santiago Creek Trail and ran into some more friends. Quick stop for socializing. Back on my way, up/down the Dam Hill, down Pony Trail, and around on my extra credit loop to Sage Ridge. Thought I was gonna run short on the 8000'....I made the right hand turn and climbed the 1st B/Oak to the first Gazebo. Turned back and finally headed home.

Made it home after dark....missed it by about 1/2 hour :cry: . Oh well....I did much more than I had l planned when I left. I probably would have stayed out longer, had I had the daylight.

Was really surprised how dead the parks were given that it was a holiday.....not that I am complaining. :thumbsup:

https://www.relive.cc/view/702095021

Screenshot (450).png Screenshot (451).png

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    I was going to suggest, "Seeking Help", but I enjoy the ride reports so much I will refrain... (seek help).
    Awesome job J-Zilla! It truly was awesome to see you and @Faust29 just the other day.

3. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I'm disappointed in you J. When you do 75 miles, you usually break 10k elevation. Not some paltry 8k. :devilish::p:D

Hell of a ride J-Zilla :)

herzalot, pperrelle, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  4. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    nice ride report. A weeks worth in one day.
    that bovinian trail is 100 times better going the other way... into 4 corners...
    raptor/fault one of my favorites in chino...

pperrelle, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

I know, I know.....such a slacker these days. Just my route choice made elevation gain a little tougher. Had I planned properly and started early...I probably could have reached it...but since I ran outta daylight.

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    it is too short....have done it that way. Coming in from the back of the park, it really doesn't fit into my loops....I really hate doing down Telegraph from 4 Corners....it is just to flat and boring.

pperrelle and Mikie like this.
  7. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    I always did bovinian going up hill and did not realize how fun it was going the other way... carbon canyon/chino becoming more fun, as I explore off the fireroads...

pperrelle and Mikie like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    :eek: I stopped reading right there. My eyes teared up and I could no longer see. Tears of great joy! :inlove:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool::cool: