Flag vandalism at Santiago Oaks

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Obsidian, Mar 28, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I saw this in a Facebook group just now. :mad:

I have no words ... other than it is a long fall off that cliff if the wrong person had caught them in the act.

A replacement flag is already en route, per the same FB group.

166025910_10225238869748263_1804423664439238861_n.jpg

Mikie, ~JB~, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Freakin' Russians. :facepalm:

Faust29 likes this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I won't "like" your post, but I share your sentiment. Douchebags...

Faust29 and Obsidian like this.
  4. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    If they don't like it here why stay?

There is no wall and pretty sure not a lot of BPatrol watching for people leaving the US so that's not a deterrent.

5. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    The flag has been replaced. Facebook groups are the new way to go. Forums are dead.

upload_2021-3-28_23-15-50.png

Faust29, ~JB~, RIGID and 2 others like this.
  6. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Facebook is like the e-bike version of forums. It seems easier, and looks like a lot of fun, but long-term the downsides aren't worth it.

How's that facial recognition screening working out for you? Hope your friends aren't up to anything that your boss would find distasteful... 20 years from now.

Obsidian and Cornholio like this.
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

WTF?

Obsidian and Cornholio like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Soooo they have to set up a Facebook group and a donation to get a new flag? No one can afford to cough up $50 for a high quality Made in USA flag and just put it up?

Maybe they could use the one that was stolen from The Luge after I installed it on Veterans Day.

Cornholio, Obsidian and BonsaiNut like this.
  9. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    How did this turn into a Facebook vs forums thread? :laugh::Roflmao I wouldn’t sign up for Fakebook if they paid me.

10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Can you imagine packing up markers or spray paint for a walk or ride? And waiting until nobody was looking to make your big statement? It’s sad to think someone has so little going on.

I don’t miss OC one bit – or any of the other shitbucket metro areas I’ve lived in or near. If I had my way I’d never go into a city again. All the kooks are not there, but most of them are.

No words; smh.

11. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I don’t consider my home or neighborhood to be a “shitbucket” but I also realize that opinions are like as*holes..

Obsidian likes this.
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    No knock to anyone’s choices. Just stay in your house or neighborhood and everything will be great.

13. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    We are all kooks. We just have different kookinesses. And if you meet someone who doesn't look like a kook, it just means they hide it well. I am immediately suspicious :)

Though I prefer to not hang out with the kooks who think vandalism is what the kewl kids do.

H2oChick, herzalot, mike and 2 others like this.
  14. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    I bet it was done after normal operating hours. Most likely under cover of darkness. That's when most cowards strike. :poop:

Glad the flag was restored quickly. :thumbsup:

Faust29, mike, Obsidian and 1 other person like this.
  15. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    No, that was not what I intended to say. Just that FB is a good source of info and they took care of it quickly.

Oaks has always had vandalism, someone used to deface all the trail signs with their political views. I hope someone puts a hidden camera up there to catch the losers.

The group has been around a long time. I do not think there was anything nefarious going on. Or at least I hope not.

Yeah, I remember that stolen flag. I got up there right as you were finishing up. People suck.

Faust29, Danimal, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I wasn’t suggesting anything nefarious, I just find it amusing that they bothered to set up to receive donations for a $50 item.

mike, Faust29, Obsidian and 2 others like this.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Interesting Thread... and where it quickly went.
    I struggle with anyone defacing our American flag. I mean it's America right? The freedom of expression through our 1st Amendment. Defacing and burning our flag as of recent years, one would think to buy stock in flag makers.
    I believe everyone has the right to burn the flag as tough as that is to say. I think it's an abomination and personally think those convicted should spend a long time in jail. But that is just me expressing my 1st Amendment.

I'm not exactly sure it immediately gravitates into a Facebook vs. Forum discussion. Both are social media and the only reason that Facebook would carry a subject such as this potentially faster is let's face it, Facebook is huge. So much more exposure.
    I left Facebook for several reasons, one of which is it is too linear for me. Trying to go back and find a post sometimes seems impossible. It's why I set up imtbtrails with so many subject forums. If I want to go back and find that great tire review. I narrow it down significantly by having a tire forum. Facebook is a snippet of thought and often gone form of social media. Forums provide the meat and potatoes.

I also don't see a real reason to categorize a whole community in colorful metaphors based off this. It just seems to provoke an uncalled for resentment and division.
    I mean I know for a fact that Frazier Park is an "interesting" place to visit and live but...

Seems there is an underlying anger here and about, and who can blame anyone?
    Lock down for over a year now, significant changes in the Country. There is nothing related to "normal" right now and to be honest, I don't see that returning any time soon.

As I have always "tried" to live by... and we all know I have failed at this... That we just take a moment to check our anger at the keyboard. Take the time to read everyone's post with a philosophy that they had good intentions or "choose" to not take it personal. Then respond with good intentions. It never goes or ends well when we just escalate and it takes away from the community. The goal it to embrace attractive behavior. We actually want people to come and stay.

It would be great if we used Mom's theory that if we haven't got anything nice to say, don't say it at all... Carry on!

:)Mikie

Moving the thread to the Free Zone. ;)

18. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Wait a minute... this is a social media site? I swore I'd never stoop so low as to.... ahhhh never mind. :confused:

Faust29, Obsidian and Mikie like this.
  19. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    It's that kegger that you got hucked up on your shoulder that most is missing it's mark.... :p

blixet and Faust29 like this.
  20. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    My bad @Mikie I was not trying to go all FB vs. Forums. I was pissed about that vandalism and also drunk posting, so not a great combo. :laugh: I am a vet from a family with many veterans, so that nonsense got me riled up. I was more (trying) to make the point that if not for FB, I would never have known about that BS.

And I like social media (to a point). I even opted in to the FB facial recognition :Roflmao.

21. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    No worries! We're good!
    I know all about buzzed posting...:laugh:o_O
    America has a theme as of late and it's frustration and anger.

I'm right there with you on the Flag. Thank you and your family members for serving!!!;)

mike, herzalot, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks for your and your family members' service.

Pardon me – I just dropped in to rip on the stupid human race. Obviously that doesn't include anyone here. :p

23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I refuse to be excluded. :p

24. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I prefer to think of this as an "anti-social" media site :)

Mikie, blixet and Obsidian like this.
  25. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
  26. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Jab, jab, ouch! Sorry but, no.

My way or the highway comes to mind with your posts.

pperrelle likes this.
  27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Have it your way. You won't be lonely. :)

I'll be there. For a month, thankfully. Then to another place that's not ideal. But, like most places, it's a hell of a lot better than the fukking southland. Sorry if anyone is offended. I live there, so I can speak the truth about how it basically sucks.

Carry on...

28. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    I get it, you like your space and your solitude. But what’s the point in shitting on a place where lots of people live and enjoy, especially on this forum.

pperrelle and Cornholio like this.
  29. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Hopefully you realize/remember that not everyone can live in a van and/or on the go. So the next time you are out shopping for your next nomad stint realize that the clerk ringing you up can’t just up and move on a whim. If you use any sort of financial services, including a bank account, the people working at those companies can’t just drive around and call new places home as they please.

I know I am not the only one here who sees the posts coming off this way but it really doesn’t matter at the end of the day, it’s just a website where people like to flex.

pperrelle likes this.
  30. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Seriously… Do I have to pull this car over?!?

Let’s agree to disagree… And drop it.

Voodoo Tom likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?