First time at Santiago Oaks

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by stevers, Sep 10, 2018.

1. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2016 Devinci Troy
    I live just 20 minutes from Santiago Oaks, but never rode it before last Saturday. I'm usually biking alone, and the trail map (and reputation) are quite intimidating. I headed out in the morning and figured I'll follow some riders and ask for directions.

1. Thanks to random dude on a Moots titanium 29er hardtail. He slowed way down for me climbing Oak Trail to give me directions, then took off like a rocket.

2. Met with some cool dudes that took me down Grasshopper, up mountain goat, and down chutes. Funny how trails intimidate people differently. They clearly said that chutes is milder than grasshopper, but I do NOT agree. I ride the same trails every week for the last several years and forgot how it felt to hike a bike DOWN a trail.

Very cool to finally ride with people again.

Photo Sep 08, 10 52 01 AM.jpg

Photo Sep 08, 10 54 21 AM.jpg

Photo Sep 08, 11 09 46 AM.jpg

2. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    Nice. I need to get back out there one of these days.

3. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Nice!

My first time down Chutes I did the "bucking bronco" routine at the top. The next couple times were HAB. :oops: Fun now...

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Is it possible to ride alone at Oaks??? I mean when normal people are awake. :whistling:

5. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    What IS chutes like? What's a good description? Similar trails in L.A?

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Chutes isn't that bad......I mean really.

IMG_5309.JPG

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    So the took you down Grasshopper? Or did you take the left fork(Hawk) up at the top and drop down the really steep, steppy, loose trail?

8. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Chutes is unique... chunky drop start..slamon to jumps.. to ridge line to berms... just a great unique trail...and therea a parallel climbing trail..so usualky one way...nothing like it in la...

9. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    And, did you enjoy Oaks Steve? There is a lot of variety and I agree, Chutes and Grasshopper are NOT the same. Chutes proper is roller chunk (see above) that can bounce the bee-jeezus out of you or just mild turbulence as you egress.
    Just a wild guess but the dood on the Moots may have been Hugh who knows the trails well and is a seasoned rider.

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Doubt it was Hugh.....

11. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2016 Devinci Troy
    Very possible to ride at oaks alone, if you know where you're going. Every time I try to learn the map, I end up heading to Whiting or Aliso...

12. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2016 Devinci Troy
    Stuck to the right and kept on Grasshopper. If hawk is steeper than Chutes, I'll have to work up to it. I thoroughly enjoyed Grasshopper. Just within my skill level to not really be scared, but definitely a ton of room to learn.

13. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2016 Devinci Troy
    Agreed. Haven't really done a ton of LA trails except Las Virgenes, Cheesbro, and Chumash/Hummingbird. If you've done chumash, I'd equate that to the Luge down in OC. Can't really equate Chutes to anything else. It has some clear jump lines that look great for those who know how to jump (not me), and it feels pretty much straight down (no switchbacks or berms that I can remember).

I did not know there's a climbing trail. I'll have to check it out and try and session the downhill.

14. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Stevers if u live near oaks.. i still think the oaks w weir has so much to offer.. it has so many quick downhills...
    If i had ride only one place... oaks might be it

15. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2016 Devinci Troy
    I did enjoy Oaks, very much so! It'll take some time to learn the trails, but definitely not as intimidating as the map suggests. I just saw a ton of bikers going in the same direction, and followed blindly.

16. luskie

luskie Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Randall Loscutoff
    Current Bike:
    Piviot Mach 5.5
    2. Met with some cool dudes that took me down Grasshopper, up mountain goat, and down chutes. Funny how trails intimidate people differently. They clearly said that chutes is milder than grasshopper, but I do NOT agree. I ride the same trails every week for the last several years and forgot how it felt to hike a bike DOWN a trail.

its a kick how people rate trails. my buddy wont ride chutes, but would hit grasshopper over hawk and chutes everytime.
    rode there Saturday love me some Oaks!

17. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Um, are those tires touching the ground?

18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Maybe :whistling: :unsure:

Actually, yeah.....the roll in from the top is kinda slow for the bus. A little farther down we got the tires off the ground.

19. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    There's quite a few for whom the Oaks is a go-to location...99% of everyone there is nice and willing to show people around. One great part about it is that the trail segments are long enough to get you in shape, but short enough that you'd consider doing that same loop again so you can nail the line properly or "that's not as steep as it seemed"...its almost "sessionable" without need to shuttle.

And if you want to suffer, its really easy to get 1k of climbing for every 5 miles of riding.

Welcome and enjoy.

20. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2016 Devinci Troy
    Went back todayfor my lunch ride. Parked at Irvine regional park, through willow into santiago oaks, then climbed oaks to bumblebee then back. Felt kind of unsatisfied. A lot of flat and climbimg for a fairly short downhill. Hitting chutes would make my lunch ride too long.

As a side note, are there trails that are typically up/downhill? There were sections of bumblebee and mountain goat where i was afraid someone would be bombing down as I climbed

21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

It's been posted numerous times:

Chutes Trail: most climb, some descend
    Chutes Ridgeline: DH
    Oak: climb
    Yucca: DH
    Deer: can be ridden CW or CCW......CCW better DH, CW better climb
    Cactus: DH
    Mountain Goat: most climb, some descend
    Coachwhip: most climb, some descend
    BumbleGoat: up or down
    BumbleBee: up or down
    Peralta Hills: DH
    Barham Ridge: most DH, some climb

22. tick

tick Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    My personal favorite way to ride Deer is neither CW or CCW, but rather down from the park bench a la CCW, then turn around whenever I feel done. Taking a break near the bottom gets you about as much peace and quiet as you can find at the park. Last Sunday I stopped there to watch two actual deer as they nervously looked up the slope to monitor the coyote patrolling the ridge.

Oh, and Bumblebee & Mountain Goat are very two way, but not in a “bomber” sense. All the trails that are climbable by the average rider also get dh traffic, but it’s typically slow & easy, not Strava style. Except coachwhip. For some reason folks like to get rad and slide every corner on coachwhip...but still you should feel fine climbing there. I don’t ride Saturday mornings if I can help it, and the crowds are getting worse at all times, but in general we follow the “rules of the road” pretty well and yield to climbers everywhere. (Though I wouldn’t try to climb Chutes Ridgeline on a weekend morning unless you want to provoke a confrontation.)

Years ago there were more horses, and the bike-horse etiquette thing is still a big deal at some times. Make sure you announce yourself, be on your best behavior, and if the horse rider knows, they will tell you if it’s a calm horse that you can ride past, or a jumpy horse you should walk or wait for. Otherwise just wait.

23. da big hills

da big hills Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Chumash: baby but smooth except some mild tech sheet rock at the top and a short screed section. Lots of air, very fast drop, 1200 feet top to bottom in about 12 minutes. Can be ridden as an out n back
    Hummingbird: double black diamond. Many rocks have chain ring tatoos. Many switchbacks with axle high drops on the exit. Lots of air especially on the top. 1100 feet top to bottom in about 2 miles. Can be ridden clean but there is one place it is best to HAB. Cell phone coverage, It is a Good place to Medivac. Call Voodoo Tom for help. Very few riders so you are on your own especially later in the day. I seem to be the only one after dark.
    The weather is cooling off so they are great trails that are coming into play. Just ask yourself: do you want to ride scary fast or scared?
    Happy Wicked East Simi trails

DangerDirtyD, stevers and kioti like this.
  24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Personally I like Deer as an out and back CCW.....drop down to Anaheim Hills Rd. then turn around and climb back up.

stevers and tick like this.
  25. tick

tick Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I always seem to be on my last swig of water by the time I get over to the top of Deer, so I tend to cut it short. Kona and their single bottle cage, and riding in the heat of the day...

Runs with Scissors and mtnbikej like this.
  26. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2016 Devinci Troy
    It is interesting how people rate trails. I've done hummingbird many times and only HAB one area with some high consequence rock drops (skeeves me out). I found chutes much more intimidating, and steep, though the chunky stuff doesn't scare me as much as the decline (and going OTB). I just try to survive downhills, so that might be the difference. Hummingbird might be difficult to shred, but easier to roll slowly. Or I'm getting older.

It's been years since I've ridden in LA. I should make a trip out once the weather cools. OC is nicer to ride in the summer/early fall.

27. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I guess it depends on the bike. My Kona has 5 bottle cage mounts. :)

tick likes this.
  28. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    On One Lurcher Single
    I’m guessing Nick Stilwell, lives near there, rides a moots and is fast.

mtnbikej likes this.
  29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    That’s what I was thinking, but he rides reallly early.

pperrelle likes this.