Fashion advice

Discussion in 'Helmets' started by tick, Jul 6, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    After Mike’s Patagonia thread turned into an underwear discussion, I was thinking I need more Fashion tips...

I’m aware of the roadie fashion rule to run your sunglasses outside the helmet strap. With the advent of MIPS helmets I’m not able to comfortably do so anymore—the straps sit farther outboard.

Am I doing it wrong?

Does anyone do a bike-worthy polo shirt? Since I often have to catch ride time in between mowing the lawn and trips to Ace Hardware, I like having riding clothes I can sweat in all day. There are days I’d prefer be less day-glo than TLD, and less Sadie Hawkins dance than Club Ride...I know some folks offer “bike lifestyle”/commuter polos, do they, or any of the golf shirt brands stand up to a 1 hr ride and 2 hours of sprinkler repair?

mike, mtnbikej, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Paging @herzalot our very own imtb-Fashion Police, and @Tom the Bomb who is certainly the most fashionable mountain biker in the Western Hemisphere!

mike, mtnbikej, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I've been summoned.

Yes, long ago when roadie helmets and dirt helmets were designed similarly, the glasses over the straps preference (or Rule #37) was in play. But that ship sailed about 5 years ago. Now if you put your sunglass arms over your helmet straps, you shall be ridiculed mercilessly and driven from the realm. That is, once you find your sunglasses, which ejected from your face due to the outward pressure applied by the straps of your modern mtb helmet. The Rules need amending.

Can't help you with the polo shirt jersey idea. Riding clothes are meant for riding. Polos are meant for casual Fridays, golf courses or coaching high school sports.

Side note: There are some fairly subdued TLD jerseys currently.

I now yield the remainder of my time to the magnificent and resplendent @Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb, Danmtchl, mike and 4 others like this.
  4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Try to dig up some of @Faust29's salmon jerseys. :thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb, jaime, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  5. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
  6. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Simple, understated. Will blend right in on a ride, at Home Depot or getting post ride beers at Flemings.

Tom the Bomb, Danmtchl, mike and 4 others like this.
  7. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Club Ride have some casual / multi purpose technical shirts as do Kuhl and Coolibar (non MTB specific)

8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    How about those Pattagucci henleys? No one will have any idea you were mountain biking. They’ll think you were chopping wood behind the shed.

Tom the Bomb, mtnbikej, tick and 3 others like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Does anyone actually not change his/her clothes after a ride?

I suppose this is the perpetual dilemma of the bicycle commuter.

10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Depends on how grubby I am afterward and if there are after ride food festivities planned. I do generally come prepared with a change of clothes.

Tom the Bomb, tick, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  11. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I have caught myself lounging in my Demo pants after a ride. The fit and 4-way stretch fabric makes them super comfortable. And they have crotch vents!

Tom the Bomb, tick, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  12. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I thought wearing goggles with your half lid was the new way forward. Maybe I'm wrong about that and society isn't doomed after all? :laugh:

Tom the Bomb, Redman, tick and 4 others like this.
  13. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    The only thing I have in common with @Tom the Bomb is I wear the same Road ID bracelet...:oops:

and I believe that pic was taken at Palm Canyon Epic trailhead...

Tom the Bomb, tick, rossage and 2 others like this.
  14. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I don't quite understand the desire to look like you haven't been mountain biking, after you have been mountain biking. In fact, if I'm not going straight home to shower after a ride, I want my garb to scream that I have been mountain biking. Mildly fashionable, but still says "Yes, I realize that I stink, am covered in dirt, and have some prominent early stage scabs. I am not homeless, nor have I been in a fight. I am a mountain biker".

Tom the Bomb, Redman, tick and 8 others like this.
  15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I agree!
    Cathy made me go in to an Arco Am Pm yesterday to get here a soda after our ride. I asked why are you not going in? She said it was because she was dirty.
    I said, dirty from mountain biking is a badge of honor!

Tom the Bomb, Redman, tick and 4 others like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I just want to get out of my stinky, sweaty, uncomfortable clothes as soon as the ride is done. As a surfer, I know how to change at my car quickly and discretely, and that same towel can be used to clean oneself to an acceptable degree, and then roll up your stinkies for transport home. Fresh as a daisy in 5 minutes. I don't need to be wearing my "badge of honor" clothing and dirt when I go in to get my chocolate milk recovery drink, or grab a burrito and a beer.

17. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I tend to think of it more as a bold disclaimer than a badge of honor. And I will amend my procedures depending on post ride activities and the length of the drive after.

The level of grime in mtb is a thing, to the point that, even as a backpacker myself, bikepacking vexes me. I don't think I could handle multiple consecutive days, and the ensuing level of filth, without proper sanitization in between.

18. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    You guys still shower every week during these stay at home orders?

19. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
  20. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I think that was the point of his Sadie Hawkins comment...

22. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    Road Holland Den Haag Jersey.jpg
    better?

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Goggles with a half lid is ALMOST as dorky looking as a full face helmet with sunglasses. Do not cross over, my friends. Full Face with goggles, or half lid with sunglasses.

Side Note: At least goggles with a half lid serves a practical purpose (better eye protection for going EndurBro speeds). Glasses with a full face makes no sense. If you are going fast enough to warrant the full face, you will need better eye protection.

24. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    I don't. If you've ridden with me and you think I should change my clothes nows the time to let me know, lol

25. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Huh none of you are commuters... do chores on your bike... commute to a destinations.... mix ride and lunch and ride....(pre-covid)
    I don't need to scream mountain biker ... in fact I am wearing more and more non MTB specific Shirts... getting better value / fabrics / design etc...

OTOH I do generally immediately change my shirt after a "Real" MTB Ride

26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Maybe you don't sweat. I can't imagine sitting in my car with my soggy riding jersey and slimy chamois. Maybe if it's cold out.

I've never ridden in a car with you after a bike ride, or sat next to you in a restaurant, so I can't comment on that. But it's not just about how one smells, it's a matter of personal comfort - at least I thought so. I am learning that others aren't as uncomfortable after a ride as I am. Good to know.

Tom the Bomb, mtnbikej and tick like this.
  27. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    I can't find that pic.... :whistling:

28. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    I have one of those. In fact, I believe I was mistaken for him once...

Don't believe they're available anymore, and I'm not sure Ive seen any other polos. But I am seeing a lot of Henleys lately. Patagonia, Pearl Izumi, Club Ride .... And CR has some much more subdued designs in their button-down-appearing jerseys.

I get the appeal - I've been known on a Friday when I don't have much to do to go ride, stop at Board & Brew or Laguna Beach Beer Co. for a bite and brew before pedaling home. Other days I'll walk the dog with my wife right before a ride. Something not so jersey-ish is nice in those circumstances.

29. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    YEAH!

30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    At least he didn't say "I'm a cyclist!"

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?