Exploration x2 for 3.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Tom the Bomb, Sep 18, 2016.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Planned on riding Sunday with T-2 ,Tom Shaffer just not sure where. With the Inland valley heat we knew it would not be local. We settled on Exploration in Running Springs. It was supposed to be a high of 75. Sounded good to me. Rossage sent me a text saying he was available so he and Tom showed up at 7:30. We got there at 8:20 and the temp was 70 with a cool breeze tempting us to take some insulation. We climbed up to the top on the pavement, had a bite and jumped into the forest. The trail is loose in spots but generally in good shape. We proceeded to rip through the buff then the rocks then the buff then the rock! This trail keeps your focus all the way down. I was looking forward to a tricky rock step up switch back and a rocky step down narrow switch back but did not clean it. Tom did it last time but not today. Bad boy Ross schooled us by cleaning both of them on his full rigid! Great moves Rossage! Made a couple stops on the way to keep us together ,Turns out Ross went down twice, once on the first loop and then a rock stuffing endo on the second. Tom went down in a soft corner on the second loop. The temps heated up a bit on the second loop with Ross getting a reading I think of 98.9 on his garmin and Tom of 103 on his cyclometer. It did not feel that hot but it definitely was toasty in the sun. Luckily there was a lot of shade and some cool breezes to be had on some of the straight aways. We pushed to the top and were glad to get there. The second time up was a grunt. Even Ross was a bit worked being up at 7000 ft. We took a nice extended food break then dove in again. A bit of fatigued unfocused off trail mishaps by me in the beginning but got the mojo going. Half way down I showed the guys how to roll the big boulders but after a couple crashed and being spent there were no other takers. All tolled a bit over 16 miles, big smiles, lotsa hooting and hollerin, a few educational crashes as Ross called them when you do not get hurt and a high you can only feel on a Mountain bike. I am still buzzing! On the way home Tom tried to sleep but Ross I made quick work of that! We love ya Tom!
    No Exploration ride would be complete without hitting up Rocky's, awesome vittles! Do not know where the pic of Tom stuffing his face went.
    Enjoy,
    TTB

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

Sidewalk, Danmtchl, Mikie and 21 others like this.
  2. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Too much fun to take pics...

The "Junkyard Dog" at Rocky's afterward was a total gut bomb!

Danmtchl, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  3. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Beef bomb too!

Danmtchl, Mikie, rossage and 3 others like this.
  4. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
  5. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Love that trail.

Tight slow tech sections I am better at making on my fully rigid bike. I can fitness a 20lb much easier than a 30lb trail bike.

Dean

6. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Ya Dean Ross was rockin his rigid too. It really makes things interesting.

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  7. T-2

T-2 Member

Name:
    Tom Shaffer
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Stumpy EVO
    Just when I think I'm doing good styling on my fully suspended rig, Ross shows me how it's done a full rigid! I feel like a wimp. Good riding guys.

Danmtchl, Mikie, Tom the Bomb and 2 others like this.
  8. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Wait, wha!!!! A vary rare T-2 sighting on iMTBtrails! I've seen you on the trails in the mountains and deserts under sunny skies and amidst snow flurries. I've seen you at gas stations and on freeways, but I never saw you on iMTBtrails until now! Good to see @T-2!

Danmtchl, Mikie and Tom the Bomb like this.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    Picture Slot Machine!
    Who "IS" this crazy man!
    img_0092-jpg.20767.jpg

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower; Revel Rail
    Hard to tell without the bandana!

Tom the Bomb, Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  11. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Maybe this will help

IMG_20180828_133951.jpg

12. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    hahah! My best actions shots are of me feeding my face! You guys are good!
    Roger and I drove by Exploration Wed. after boarding at Summit. Bummer too much snow.

herzalot likes this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?