EWS!

Discussion in 'Gravity Junkies' started by Cougar, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    So apparently this just happened this past weekend, and I apparently don't browse the right websites to know this is going to happen ahead of time. I caught a 14min video wrap up here http://www.enduroworldseries.com/ , but I'd love to see a much longer recap or coverage of the event itself.

Paging herzalot, educate my Enduro noobness self please :)

hehe

Mikie likes this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    herzalot....paging Mr. herzalot . . . . . . . . . . . . earth to herzalot? :)

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Dang guys, I don't monitor this site while I'm at work...

OK, so here's the deal. The Enduro World Series is kicking off its third season. It is not affiliated with UCI. The EWS format is designed to mimic the way most of us like to ride mountain bikes - ride to the top in order to have a blast railing down. Cross Country races favor the skinny climbers and become road races on dirt that do not capture the essence of mt. biking that appeal to the vast majority. Downhill is just too specialized (can I use that word?) of an event for most of us to get into, and the injury rate is extraordinary. Thus with the advent of very capable trailbikes came a race format specific to mountain biking.

Races are usually run in two days and include five or six timed stages on different courses. The stages are about 90% downhill and range in length from 3 mins to 20 mins per stage, with most being in the 6 minute range. Riders often have to ride to the top and have a fairly relaxed amount of time to get there. Sometimes there are shuttles or chairlifts involved. Riders have to run the same frame, fork and rims for the entire event. Only the downs are timed, and the winner is the guy/gal who finishes all the stages with the lowest total time. Strangely, the top racers are often separated by less than 10 seconds by the end of six runs.

That brings us to Rotorua, NZ. Last year's champion Jared Graves hit a tree training two weeks ago and separated both shoulders, so he didn't compete. Jerome Clementz won it, as expected. Graves and Clementz are the two best, but they have traded injuries.

What else do you want to know? It's not particularly spectator friendly, but the riding is unbelievable, especially since much of it is being ridden blind or with one little practice run.

Mikie likes this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Mikie likes this.
  5. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Yup, I caught the tree taking down the defending champion post.

I was just hoping there would be some coverage of the event more than a 14 min recap video. Something where you get to see more of the riders go on the course and give yourself a bit of perspective as to how the good riders take features versus the bad ones. I guess sort of like Red Bull does with some of the UCI Downhill events. But if there isn't anything like that for these, then so be it ;)

Thanks all the same!

Mikie likes this.
  6. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    All I can say is the pucker factor on this type of riding is more than my fragile body can contemplate. Mucho props to the folks who can do it. I'll stick with riding slowly up hills. ;)

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Try this: href="http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2236&p=14709#p14709

It doesn't show you more riders, but it gives you a different perspective.

Also, in the week following an EWS event, the various teams and manufacturers start "dropping their edits" which includes a lot more riding footage. Again, not perfect, but a hell of a lot of great riding.

Mikie likes this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Mikie likes this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    EWS Round 3 today in Scotland. 1/2 the stages in the books for today, and another 4 stages to race tomorrow. With Jared Graves out with injury, Jared's protege Richie Rude sits atop the results sheet just two seconds in front of last week's EWS round 2 winner in Ireland (Greg Callahan). Richie took 3rd in EWS2 last weekend. The Man Child knows how to ride. Remember, he won the Junior World DH Championship two years ago.

Go Richie Go!

Mikie likes this.
  10. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    It's nice to have a top American to root for. Curtis Keene, unfortunately, is off to a rough start. A few new faces at the top so far this year too. It's shaping up to be an interesting year. Wasn't sure what would happen with Jared Graves out. I thought maybe Clementz might dominate.

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Jerome has been ill, then I believe he had a mechanical today. Jared might be back for the next round, so the EWS is wide open. What if Nico Vouilloz or Fabien Barel take it? The aging French guys vs the younger French guys, with a few others in the hunt for good measure. It would be cool if Richie could win this one and make it interesting.

Mikie likes this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Well, Kiwi (and former Yeti rider) Justin Leov won EWS #3 in Scotland. That'll work. He was 2nd place last week. Richie Rude had issues on the 5th stage and finished it 32nd knocking him to 7th at the end of it all. Looks like they had to cut out stages 6 and 7 due to weather. Leov killed stage 8 winning by 10 seconds over runner up Rude. Of course, it was a nearly 12 minute stage. There were 236 names on the Men's Elite results sheet, and SoCal's Curtis Keene came in 68th.

Can't wait for the videos to start popping up, although it appears these Scottish tracks don't translate to video very well - not much gnar and not much light, just a lot of tight trees and wet surface.

Mikie likes this.
  13. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Lots of seriously muddy post ride pics coming out of Scotland. I'm not surprised a few stages got canceled due to weather.

Good thing he has that front mud guard!

14. shawndoh

shawndoh Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    All bikes Giant.

Dat seat angle though

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    See if you can spot the rider in The Path argyle jersey in this video from the Trans Provence Enduro.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-trans-provence-day-six-2015.html

(For those of you out of county, The Path is one of the greatest bike shops in the universe, right here in Orange County - where, if you need a spring for a 2010 Fox 40, they will ask you titanium or steel, and then ask you the degree of firmness - because, they have it. Need a 44mm Zero Stack headset? They will ask "Cane Creek or Chris King?", and then ask you color preferences - because they have it - in stock).

StrandLeper and Mikie like this.
  16. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Looks like the front mud guard worked. Nothing on his face, nor on his controls.

Oh and the Transprovence is awesome. I love seeing coverage on that, to the point that I don't think there's nearly enough coverage for it. I totally want to do it some day. I like that they used the kind of music that I primarily like for the soundtrack.

Mikie likes this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    EWS Round 4 in France this weekend. I'm pulling for Graves and Rude, as usual. These tracks are steeper and chunkier than the last two races, with mostly lift-assisted transfer stages - so we should see the DHers dominate. ACC will finally have a chance against Moseley.

Mikie likes this.
  18. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    I'd like to see Curtis Keene place better this round. He seems to be struggling this year.

As long as one of the Frenchies doesn't take the win I'm good. I can't keep them all straight. Seems to be a lot of them. (I know. Spoken like an American. What can I say? That's how I roll. [emoji3])

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Richie Rude in 2nd after today's racing, with 2 long stages to go tomorrow. Graves had a tough Stage 1 and ended the day 7th. Old man Nico Vouilloz is the day's leader, by a handful of seconds over Richie. I guess his 10 DH World Championships are still in his blood.

As for Frenchies - well 7 out of top ten, so...

I think Mr. Keene finished 21st today.

Mikie likes this.
  20. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Search and try as I might, can't find where to go to view the race. Doesn't seem to be on EWS site, just little short vids.
    any help on this?

Mikie likes this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    As far as I know, it is not filmed by anyone for broadcast. EWS has its official videos that come out after the race. Then all of the teams/sponsors/manufacturers put out their videos. Typically, those videos are awesome. I think it would be quite difficult to broadcast a full EWS, given that it's run on 4-7 completely different trails that are typically much longer than a WC DH. If you want to watch the entirety of an exciting race, watch NASCAR! :twisted: :wave:

Mikie likes this.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    YEEAAAHHH RICHIE!!!! Dick Rude wins EWS #4, and may take over the series lead, since he was recently 2nd and 3rd. Interesting though, Fabien Barel won 3 of the 6 stages and was 3rd in one of the stages and finished 3rd. Rude won none of the stages. Nico Vouilloz was 2nd. Seven Frenchies in the top ten. I can't find Curtis Keene on the list of 200 Elite men finishers. He seems to struggle and/or get unlucky under race conditions. However, in Enduro, luck has as much to do with your preparation (equipment choices and trail intel) and on-course decision making as it has to do with actual luck - otherwise the top racers would not be consistently at the top.

href="http://www.pinkbike.com/news/results-round-4-samoens-enduro-world-series-2015.html

I am sure the videos will start pouring in this afternoon and throughout the week. Oh - and Graves finished 6th in his first EWS of the year coming back from injury.

Edit: Keene - 126th overall. Disastrous 5th stage, but respectable 6th stage, so I am guessing he didn't get injured. That's good.

Mikie likes this.
  23. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Ok thanks, for whatever reason I thought you watched it. :?

How do you confuse a nascar driver on the way to the grocery store?

Ask him to make a right turn....

Mikie likes this.
  24. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    Wow! Congrats to Richie, what an accomplishment at such a young age too. I follow Keene as he rides my local trails frequently. Results show he had some difficulties on day two.

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Mikie likes this.
  26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    For those who care about those riding at the top of our sport, Richie Rude just bested the field for the win at the Whistler/Crankworx Enduro World Series event to take his second EWS win for the season. Richie is a man-child beast - like - he has tree trunks for biceps, not the skinny little sticks found attached to most cyclists' shoulders. He puts down the power in an impressive manner, but also seems to have the endurance to manage five stages in a day. Well done Richie! I am a little biased. RIchie is an American kid who switched to Yeti from the evil red S corporation while still a teenager and then won the Junior Downhill World Championship - then shocked everyone by announcing he was not doing DH anymore in order to focus on Enduro. He's still not old enough to buy a beer.

Standings after 5 events. This was round 6, but round 5 was cancelled after the death of a rider in competition.

http://www.enduroworldseries.com/emba-rankings/men
    Rude Chopper.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Mikie likes this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
  29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    What if there were a competition featuring the best all-around MtB riders in the world, and an entire website of over 650 supposed MtB fans didn't care?

:cry::sick::speechless::thumbsdown::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  30. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    ^^^I liked this. But I hate how frustrated you are with the lack of DH Following here....^^^
    Don't be sad, continue to build and they will come. Every time I come back to this thread and click on the links I am marveled by the most excellent bikemanship and intensity of the stoke. I for one love it!