EWS 2016 - Here We Go!!!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by herzalot, Mar 23, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Looks like the Enduro World Series kicks off this weekend. I LOVE this series. Great riding by up and comers and veterans of the sport. Everything I love in mountain biking - endure the climbs to bomb the descents. Before you all begin bitching about "the coverage sucks" please understand you do not have to have same-day, top-to-bottom course coverage to witness exciting racing.

Can Richie Rude match last year's exploits? Will a healthy Jared Graves on his new (gasp) Speshy return to the top of the game? Will Jerome Clementz regain the form he once had as the man to beat? Or will one of the others make good on their promising finishes (Martin Maes, Josh Carlson, etc). Who will rise in the women's ranks now that Moseley is gone?

Here we go!

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/ews-2016-season-teaser-video.html

tortoise, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  2. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I don't know how to consume Enduro racing without having the spoilers front and center. For me, much of the fun of watching any competition is not knowing who won before I actually watch it. Last year, all I could find was 2-5 min clips in the weeks following the event, not even same day/same weekend. By then, I had accidentally tripped over the winners (boo!). I want to consume it in an enjoyable way for me (30-90min w/o tripping over spoilers in the beginning), and I'm not having a lot of luck :).

For me, the most interesting thing about the EWS this year will actually be on the women's scene. It is a free for all. Tracey Mosley has dominated for years and retired last season. Her only real notable competitor (Anne Chausson) got injured during the season last year and I believe I read she is still injured at the start of this season. So that field is WIDE open.

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Ritchie Rude is a beast! Naturally all my hope a dreams are with Ritchie the Turquoise Terminator!

4. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Unlike cougar, I don't care who wins or if i know it. What I find exciting is watching highlights and videos of the races, and the skill.
    Unfortunately, all that was available for consumption were 3-5 minutes ads with no real riding.

So unless they put up live or filmed riding at length, I won't be interested.
    Let's hope that changes this year.

Just my 2cents, and it's barely with that.

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Perhaps the most exciting way to view EWS races without knowing the full results is to go to Pinkbike or VitalMTB throughout the actual race weekend and look for links to the action. They typically put up slide shows or video snippets of the stories that are unfolding, and you can get a stage-by-stage sense of how things are going. There are also links to live timing sites that you could check periodically to see how things are going.

After the races, manufacturers start rolling out their stories via video clips, and that gives the viewer an understanding of what the riding and riders looked like. Yes, they are ads for Canyon, Yeti, Specialized, Mondraker or whatnot, but basically they just show great riding and awesome courses.

And, since all of that sounds like way too much investment for most of the relatively uninterested riders on IMTB, I will attempt to drum up interest by cross posting things to this thread. I am here for you, people.

kioti, tortoise, Cougar and 1 other person like this.
  6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Herz, it's an interesting and exciting race. And id love to watch it and follow it.
    Just horrible coverage.

That is all.

tortoise and Mikie like this.
  7. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Ditto

Danimal likes this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I doubt anyone will ever put video cameras all the way down one of these stages, much less 5 or 6 of them.

So, for those who don't need video to think bike riding is cool...

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/practice-ews-2016-round-one-chile.html

I have to admit, I have always been a Rude fan, and a Graves fan, but I hate Specialized (the company - not the bikes) so I find myself rooting against Jared. That, my friends, is just plain wrong.

Go Dick!

However, I predict someone other than those two winning the weekend. Going way out on a limb on that one, 'eh?

Danimal, Cougar and Faust29 like this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That was almost better than video... Almost. Thanks for keeping us informed! :thumbsup:

herzalot likes this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    And here's an official introductory video that introduces the viewer to this year's venues and the top riders. And yes, there is competitive bike riding in this video. Consider me your filter so you don't have to go to the trouble of going directly to Pinkbike and wading through all their stories.

I can't embed their videos, so all I can do is provide the link.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/whats-to-come-ews-round-one-chile-video-2016.html

Here's a slideshow that will give you more insight, and has some pretty pictures of people riding bikes.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/feat...orral-Chile-Action,9944/Slideshow,0/sspomer,2

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    No coverage is not horrible coverage. Horrible coverage is what they tried to do at Whistler over the past two years when they showed riders on the last stage for about 15-20 seconds each, and had insipid commentary going on while the "action" was taking place. I'd rather they didn't cover it "live" at all than try to suffer through the fake drama, stupid commentary and tedious video segments into the finish line. (Although I have to admit, it was pretty exciting to watch Rude smash everyone).

ejhorn and Danimal like this.
  12. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    hahaha...
    I stand corrected!

Thanks for the links, enjoyed perusing the photos and comments.

13. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Seems tailor made for an action sports or POV camera brand to do a webcast. Nikon is breaking into the POV space...

The WSL webcasts are incredible. (Surfing tour) and they have to deal with stops and starts based on changing conditions, and incredibly remote Third World venues. Not sure why in Rnduro isn't following the same track. The WSL is basically funded by a sugar daddy right now. I would think there would be some sugar daddies wanting to fund the Enduro series.

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    The surf breaks are often in remote locations, but once they pick a break, the action stays there. Enduro races are run on 3-6 different stages of 1-9 miles in length. Definitely a different logistical challenge. POV cameras could do a lot, but how about a "collective" of all of the different videographers lining all of the courses? A Wiki-Video!

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  16. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Done and done.

Thanks! I liked the intro video :)

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
  18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    OK - as promised. Here is a 22 minute video with plenty of riding, interesting stories and interviews, and Richie Rude screwing around throwing a street 180 in the background at the end. Anneke Beerten had a great weekend, and she is basically a SoCal local (she's been here for years, and you can hear it in her accent and vocabulary). She is actually Dutch, and as such, she makes sure she is first in line for beer!

Fun fact - the top two men's ages combined do not equal Nico Vouilloz, who finished third. Go old man! Put those ten DH World Championships to work on these youngsters!

I believe they had to climb over 9000' over four days, including training runs and the race -pretty good for gravity riders!

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/storie...-the-sea-ews-rd-1-chile-highlights-video.html

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
  20. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    That looks like a fun course with just enough tech to keep you on your toes! .... not that I would go down it nearly as fast as those guys/gals will be doing this weekend!

Mikie likes this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  22. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Ya, that doesn't look that fun to ride in.

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Mikie, Cougar and Faust29 like this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Mikie, Cougar and jaime like this.
  25. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
  26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    And we're back...

Here's a great preview of today's race in Ireland. 7 stages in one day with no uplift assist (riders must pedal up to all of the stages). Rootin' for Rude of course, but wouldn't mind seeing Graves have a great day or Maes get his well-deserved first win. Or maybe Nico winning one for the old guys. The courses look quite pedally, so I'm not sure why Sam Hill is racing there. Training?

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/the-calm-before-the-crowds-ews-rd-3-track-preview-video-2016.html

Bluesrider and Mikie like this.
  27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
  28. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Wait what?! Tracey Moseley is back?

herzalot likes this.
  29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Just while the races are in her relative backyard... She won't be doing others (allegedly).

30. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Okay, I can see that. She still has it (although I'm not sure there was any question about that), she was - and still is - crazy dominant.

herzalot likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?