Ergon GE1 slim

Discussion in 'Grips' started by RS VR6, Sep 13, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    I picked up a pair last week just to try out...and so far I like them. Initially they didn't feel as cushy as the ESI Chunkys they replaced. The rubber felt alot harder and the grip felt thinner. After spending two days at Mammoth...I can say that they are some of the best grips I've used. My hands would tire like they usually do, but wouldn't hurt as bad the bottom of a run. Feels like I have less arm pump also. The funky shape of the Ergon grips seems to reduce the pressure to the outside of my palms.

I usually end up going back to my trusty ESI's...but I don't think I wil this time...at least not on this bike.:thumbsup:

IMG_20160913_170558.jpg

2. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    I got the same ones and pretty happy with them. The original ones that came with my bike are good as well but at the end on the day at snow summit less arm pump. :thumbsup:

Mikie, herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  3. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Ditto here. I bought a pair of red ones for my Enduro and I really like them.
    I like the single inner clamp better than the double since my hands tend to wander to the outermost edge of the grip.

Mikie, herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    That's a new requirement for me now as well. And a single sided lock on is bliss after wrestling those silly ESI grips. I have the ODI Elites, but these particular Ergons look equal if not a bit better.

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Thanks for the rec! Have you tried the ODIs @herzalot mentions? Those seem to be the go-to grips 'round these parts.

6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Any idea on the longevity? I like my ESI chunky grips, bit I never get more than a couple months out of them. This might be something to try.

7. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    upload_2016-9-14_12-16-51.jpeg

I've been running these and very happy with them. BUT, I think I will try those Ergon's come replacement time.

8. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Never tried them. The ODI's look like they flare at the end. It wouldn't work for me since I like to grip the ends of the bar.

No idea on longevity, I've only had them for a week.:D

I did rip the end of one of my ESI's on a chain link fence...which led me to get the Lizard Skins DSP grips. They are basically held on by tape. The tape was a huge pain to remove from the bar.

I had the North Shore grips. Something very similar to the Oury's with the big cushy blocks. Its the outer lock on ring I couldn't get along with. I grip the very end of the bar. The metal ring felt like it was real hard in the outside of my palm.

It feels like the GE1 slightly raises the outside of the hand. Putting it at a slight angle vs a flat grip.

Mikie, Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I do too. The end of the grip is a soft rubber flange. Something to hold on to , but does not feel awkward or painful like a metal ring does.

Mikie, Danmtchl and RS VR6 like this.
  10. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    I wish there is some kind of demo program with grips...like saddles. I have a drawer full of used grips that have been used a handful of times (see what I did there?).

Mikie, Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    @RS VR6 I have a drawerful of forks. At $1000 each, I think experimenting with grips is a little more palatable....

mtnbikej, Mikie, RS VR6 and 3 others like this.
  12. love love love the Oury lock on. The extra DIA is really nice for larger hands.

Mikie and Redman like this.
  13. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I just did my first ride with the GE 1 grips. Even though I knew they still needed to be rotated a few degrees, I found them to be excellent grips.
    I was getting numb fingers using ODI Rogues and Ruffians. I blame the outboard grip clamp because my favorite position, other than doggie-style, is cruising with my hands on the outside edge of the grips.
    The Ergons definitely worked as advertised, noticeably reducing vibration and providing a soft outer edge.
    Me likey, so far....

mtnbikej, Cornholio, jaime and 3 others like this.
  14. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    :rolleyes:

Cornholio, Cyclotourist and rossage like this.
  15. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Same experience here after a few rides (well other than the doggie-style part). Coming from Rogues I went with the larger GE1s.

Thanks to the OP and others here that brought this grip to my attention.

16. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    I've ordered a pair of the Ergon grips on advice of my trusted IMTB friends. Thanks!

herzalot, Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Yup!
    I'm heading in the same direction. The companies philosophy makes sense, and there are too many folks on here I trust, not to listen.

herzalot and Cyclotourist like this.
  18. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    These are what I run on my full-suspension bike and I have to say that I like them just fine. Small thing, but there is a little smooth spot on the forward side near the clamp that forms a perfect fit for my forefinger when it is not draped over the brake lever.

herzalot likes this.