Epic dreamin'

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike, May 17, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The end of one is the beginning of another. Just add selective memory, and voila...

Do you know the first sign of a mountain biker dying? He ceases to plan and execute epics. Next thing he knows, he's riding a trike with a basket with a diaper on. If he's lucky!

I refuse to believe that, for the upcoming months, you all gonna just ride your bikes at your local haunts like good little MTB soldiers. No, I wanna hear about the epic trip up your sleeve. A bike safari, badass ride(s) or whatever far-flung plot you hatched for summer. Dish it here, and don't worry about the actual definition of "epic."

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I may ride a little further to the left next time I descend Rock-It! :cool:

Epic, right? :thumbsup:

dustyyoungblood, Faust29 and mike like this.
  3. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    You had to wait til the end of prime riding season to ask this....!

mike likes this.
  4. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    IMG_2901.JPG Today I rode to CVS to pick up drugs. Epic is as epic does.

Grassblade23, herzalot, Luis and 7 others like this.
  5. Tedroy

Tedroy Member

Name:
    Ted Knecht
    Current Bike:
    2015 Turner Flux LG
    Good post. I'm gettin old just reading this. My fitness ain't what it used to be and "epic" is now a relative term.
    My epics are about 20 miles.

DangerDirtyD, mike and Faust29 like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Well... Aside from a few death marches, I've carved out at least one day in Oregon! Woo-Hoo!

It will either be the Alpine Trail for a second time, or the McKenzie River Trail... Or something else near Eugene if you guys have any suggestions!

7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I will be spending a week up in the Downieville and Tahoe area in July to ride, camp, and possibly surf the American River!
    Each day will be filled with epicness, gratitude, and love. It will be a memorial to the dead and a celebration of life.
    The epic journey begins each day, and ends with pleasant slumber and dreams of tomorrow.

Luis, DangerDirtyD, mike and 3 others like this.
  8. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    It'll be epic the next time I have time to ride for more than an hour!

kioti, herzalot, jaime and 4 others like this.
  9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Hehe, Ev, I'm just early for the upcoming season per first line in my post. And, isn't it always happy hour somewhere? :) I know you got an ace up your sleeve...you always do!

@rossage, unless you're running a classified mission, throw your LT dates at me. I've had LT on the docket since last summer, vowed to do it this year; got a couple bros up there wondering what's taking me/us and why I'm still a SLT MTB virgin. Maybe we can connect for dirt?

Gotta hit Jackson State Forest this summer, too. If for no other reason, the nice drive up the coast and visiting friends en route. I have a guide friend there, and rode it once with him. A must-ride locale for the wife. There is no dirt up there, only leaves on swoopy trails in a dank forest. And no signage or maps – hence the guide!

The AZ Trail is conspicuously unchecked from my list. I love BP, but it's somewhat a foregone conclusion that, with enough time, any long route can be gotten through. So, what's a funhog to do, except figure out a way to make it more involved? (No, I do not want to go faster!) :cool: I love that you can get on your bike and pedal like a mf for a few days and be in another state or country – that's the joy of the Great Divide, and I want a little of that spice...

So... Later this year I will find myself near the start of the CT (Denver metro) and wondering how to get to the AZT N-S. Every molecule of fun-seeking DNA I have tells me to take the CT to Durango then take a break from ST and roadie to Page, then do the AZT. It's only lost wages, right? I thought to add some GDMBR (Continental Divide would actually be more apropos) to the front of the ride so I could go Can-Mex, but I'm imposing a 8-week cap (go ahead, laugh) on myself this year. The ColoZona Trail...looking to make it real :)

10. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Epic for me will be some time up in the mountains. San Bernardinos probably; Sierra Nevadas if I'm lucky.

11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I'm hoping to do at least one Epic next week while I am off. My buddy Tony, who has already ridden 5k miles and climbed 400k', mostly on the MTB, invited me on one has his midweek rides. I'm guessing it will be in the neighborhood of 50 miles and over 7k'. As I'm writing this I'm remembering another buddy of mine is doing a 50 miler Saturday the 27th.

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Sounds like a spectacular week of riding.

Cornholio, mike and UPSed like this.
  13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    What are you gonna do up there (or there)? Got any objectives aside from time in the mountains (a worthy objective itself)? Possibilities seem overwhelming!

@UPSed, amputation plan sounds good... :thumbsup:

Cornholio and UPSed like this.
  14. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Bike! Maybe even without pedaling uphill. And some r+r with the wife and kids. Hike. Find some puddles to jump in. Fish. Check out some geologic wonders.

15. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Aside from my bitching and moaning about lack of free time I do still try to get out when I can. I dream up rides from time to time and hopefully my son likes bikes and we can tackle them together.

On my short list is St. George, UT. My dad has been working on some construction in Nevada and my mom goes out to stay with him quite a bit. They've gone out to visit their friend in Mesquite a few times and they all go out to St. George to go check out the scenery and tell me how cool it is. I don't think a trip there will happen this year but maybe after baby #2 gets here I'll get a chance.

We may also go up to our friend's place in the Sierras, Vermillion Valley Resort, but I'll probably leave the bike at home and wander on foot up there.

16. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Although I haven't ridden everything in Orange County, (and haven't even scratched the surface of LA, OC, and IE rides,) I'd like to take a few days riding what Kernville has to offer.

Doing a big loop road trip, hitting Downieville, Auburn, Santa Cruz, and SLO would be awesome, but I don't think that's practical this year.

mike, UPSed and Cornholio like this.
  17. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I've always had a pipe dream of finishing the CT, then float/paddle the Animas and San Juan Rivers from Durango all the way to Lake Powell, getting out at Page. Or bail off the CT above Durango, follow one of the hut to hut routes to Moab and float the Colorado River down to Page. Then bike ~45mi pavement/dirt to the northern AZT terminus and continue south. Google searching said these river sections have plenty of rapids so maybe only doable as a guided river trip with someone to ferry the bike to Page. But one can always dream!

More realistically is to connect them by bike, finding dirt where possible. I've heard talk of a trans-Utah route from StG to Moab, then you just turn south off that and make your way down through Kanab and over to AZT. Or maybe it is possible to go south from Durango into NM, and then over toward Flagstaff. Late Sept would be the time to start, so you have 4 months to plan!

Luis, mike and Grassblade23 like this.
  18. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    2 laps of the fully loop without dabbing ;-)

Grassblade23, Luis, Danimal and 6 others like this.
  19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    North Umpqua River Trail should be on your list. I don't think it's as popular as McKR, but it is good. Totally modular sections, most any can be bypassed on the parallel highway. More climbing than you think while following water downhill.

Maybe grill the experts at Willamette Marcantile in Oakridge.

20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    That's the stuff, ev! Carried by water after a long ride...Nirvana!! Dirt sounds cool, too. I've found I really enjoy rural road touring as a reprieve between dirt stints. OTOH, reservations are the most sketchy places I've toured through, so the excitement may remain high... :eek:

littlewave and mtnbikej like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    mike, kioti and CBone like this.
  22. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I thought the drug cartels ran Colombia. Never knew the British were in there. :p

Couldn't resist....Carry on.

mike, herzalot and konakc like this.
  23. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    mike and herzalot like this.
  24. Bryon

Bryon Member

Name:
    Bryon Walsh
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC
    After reading all the reports on Counting Coup and Vision Quest, I decided that I'll get in on that action for next year.

25. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I will sign up for CC...and I intend to finish said CC.

However, for a real epic, I think I'll go for Dawson Saddle. Supposed to be the longest sustained climb in California. :)

Faust29, mike and Grassblade23 like this.
  26. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Did a bit of sketching... try this out Mike: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21281412

CT to ?? to Moab. Float Colorado River from Moab down to Hite crossing, should be mostly flat water. Then pedal 240mi to AZT.

I've never had luck finding the hut to hut routes, maybe riders are sworn to secrecy. The float seems like it could be costly and difficult logistics, so if you'd rather pedal the whole way it should be possible to find a good mostly dirt route from Durango to Hite.

Faust29, mike, Luis and 1 other person like this.
  27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Look - if one country has to spell it Colombia then they all do!!!! :confused: Even a province in Canadia! :cool:

Faust29, mike and Runs with Scissors like this.
  28. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Not sure why your dissin' tricycles? They're the future of the sport! Plenty of room for a plus-sized basket, too!
    rungu-electric-off-road-tricycle-bicycle-640x533.jpg

As for the diapers.. isn't that just good environmental practices--pack it in, pack it out?

29. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    North Lake Tahoe area 09/11-17 - 09/16/17
    I'll be riding the Tahoe Rim trail again from Brockway summit to Tahoe city on the CA side. On the Nevada side, Tahoe meadow off Mt Rose Hwy through the flume trail around Marlette lake or down to Spooner lake, and hopefully no snowstorms like last year! :confused:
    Hole-in-the-ground up in Truckee/Donner area. Maybe meet up with the OTBmbc crew that will be at Squaw Valley :cool:. South side of the lake has a lot of stuff I missed last year too...
    Lets ride! :thumbsup:

w_ors21SiAyxncXK9bVSbfFoxVZUP49nsGXgYc_LgZE-2048x1536.jpg

Faust29, mike, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  30. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Wait long enough and someone will do the hard work for you! Interestingly the route they laid out is the same I drew in above from Hite AZ to Boulder UT. They go north of Boulder which is a bit of a detour but it avoids a lot of pavement. You would just have to peel off somewhere and head south to AZT rather than Vegas. Giddyup!

http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/plateau-passage/

Grassblade23, Faust29 and mike like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?