Endurance Nutrition

Discussion in 'Health' started by Faust29, Jun 24, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Thx J-Zilla!

Danmtchl, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  2. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    FYI, more local OC availability for Tailwind ... For those of us in or near Huntington Beach, Core Sports Nutrition (Beach & Atlanta in Huntington Beach) now stocks Tailwind. I picked some up there this evening and they had a pretty good selection in stock. They even gave me a deal on 2 of the 30 serving bags (50% off the 2nd bag) since they didn't have the flavor I wanted (Mandarin Orange) in the 50 serving bag. Their prices seemed to match amazon or ordering direct, but without the shipping. They were very friendly, and by giving me 50% off the 2nd bag, I ended up with 60 servings for a little less per serving than the 50 serving bag.

It's also eligible for Prime shipping on Amazon now, but it was nice to be able to pick it up locally when I ran out, and support a local brick & mortar shop.

kioti, Faust29, OTHRider and 6 others like this.
  3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Great info here guys!

I just ordered one pouch of naked and one pouch of berry Tailwind.

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I forgot to mention, but yesterday's death march was fueled entirely by Tailwind until we hit the General Store at mile 50. That's roughly 50 miles and 9,000 feet... :thumbsup:

jaime, MattB, Voodoo Tom and 5 others like this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Tailwind, or the 1st Endurance I use, tastes pretty nasty by that point. :eek:

6. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Just pinch your nostrils closed, hold your breath, and swallow it down. You know, like we all used to do as kids when mama was giving us cough syrup?

Danmtchl likes this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Recent Tailwind subject here. Procured mine from Endurance House in LagNiguel. Friendly and helpful staff, full selection of SKUs, expected prices.

I've used it twice with excellent outcomes. I don't think I can go all day just on TW and no food, but I see it as a very useful tool. If you get a weird relationship with food during long pushes like I do, TW is a way to nullify the issue. For outings less than half a day, no problem living on TW. Looking forward to dialing in my all-day regimen.

Q: What do you TailWinders do before a ride? Something for breakfast?
    (Steve, what besides caffeinated bevvies :cool:). TIA.

MattB, kioti, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  8. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Oooooh K. The Great Divide MTBr is on board...now I gotta get me some, you know, for my 2 hour epics.

kioti, Faust29, littlewave and 3 others like this.
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    For morning rides....I'll eat breakfast about 1-1.5 hrs before the start. Usually a couple of eggs or a bowl of cereal. Sometimes on the way to the ride, I'll drink a half a bottle of water with 1 scoop of TW just as a primer.

You will get used to not eating on the all day rides. It's only an issue when you are watching everyone else enjoy a sandwich or pieces of chicken.

10. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    What works best for me - YMMV - is finishing an omelette and pancakes about 45 min prior to wheels up.

That has taken me on some long rides. There's a Dennys at the perfect spot on the way to the bottom of GMR.

Much harder to accomplish on the way to an epic in the Santa Anas.

UPSed and Faust29 like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'm similar to the others, except for the coffee part... I have at least three coffees before big rides. I usually have two eggs, my seeded toast from Sprouts, some oatmeal, and a glass of water...

On the way to the ride, I will either have a cup of hot green tea or a small bottle of Tailwind. As the weather gets warmer, it will be more often Tailwind than tea. I like being a bottle in the black when we start.

I can go all day on Tailwind, but I really like food. Some trail mix, even in small amounts, breaks up the monotony. I should have taken some yesterday. I was tired of the Tailwind at mile 50, and we still had 17 to go... switched to plain water for most of that part, and would have cramped if I had to go any farther...

UPSed, Runs with Scissors and kioti like this.
  12. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    I stick to my standard breakfast (big bowl of cereal with a bunch of blueberries) in the morning before a ride as soon as I wake up. Between getting ready and a decent drive to wherever I've riding, it's probably a good hour and a half between breakfast and hitting the trail.

I fill my Camelbak with Tailwind for the ride. I'll usually bring a bottle of water in the car for the drive home in case I've finished off the Camelbak on the ride. I should pre-hydrate more often than I do, but I will drink a little of the tailwind from the Camelbak on the way to the trailhead if I want to hit the ground running.

I'll also put a lot of ice in the Camelbak with the Tailwind even on a cold day since it tastes better to me when it's cold and stays tasting good longer into the ride.

If I mix it at full strength, I've done 4-5 hour rides only using Tailwind and not been terribly hungry when I get home. If I don't use it (or make it too weak), I'm starving when I get home.

13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    @MattB brings up a good point... Even after the death march yesterday, I wasn't really hungry. I had a burger when I got home, but that's all I was in the mood for, and that didn't cover the 5,000+ calories I burned yesterday. My wife was the smart one, though... She said, "you'll be up in the middle of the night raiding the fridge." Before I switched to Tailwind, I used to come home starving!

Three eggs and toast at 2:00 this morning. :whistling::thumbsup:

14. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Oh that's easy cause it's the same every time, "Subway eat fresh" about an hour before ride time... For the last year or two @Mikie & I have been raiding every Subway we can find open at the crack of dawn. For me it's a flatbread breakfast sandwich with egg, turkey, cheese, spinach, tomato, olives, avocado & jalapeños with sweet onion sauce & chipotle sauce. Mikie's sandwich is pretty close but I think he gets cucumber and skips the jalapeños. It's become such a ritual that I think we're both afraid to ride without it.

UPSed, mike, DangerDirtyD and 5 others like this.
  15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

:gag: :sick:

16. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Whatevah at least now you know why we have almost been late to a couple of rides with ya...Sometimes they don't open early.

17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Is your name mike????

mike and Voodoo Tom like this.
  18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    That just spells heartburn and indigestion to me.

19. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    It's only a problem for the people behind me.

UPSed, mike, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  20. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    We all pick different foods, but it seems we all go for a good mix of proteins and carbs beforehand... I used to go lopsided one way or the other, but a mixture works better.

21. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Outgassing in the course of a ride is a time-honored ritual. Especially if gaining large amounts of elevation, necessitating pressure equalization. And damn that combo you describe sounds good. But I'll take the jalapeños. :thumbsup:

mike and Voodoo Tom like this.
  22. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I don't eat anything before rides!

If the drive to the trail-head is more then 30 minutes, I'll eat one banana and drink one 500ml water bottle.
    IMO The food in your stomach will not help you in the first 2 hrs of your ride. From that point, the on-the-bike nutrition is what going to fuel you the rest of the way.

The only exception is "big" events where I wake up 2 hours before the start time (like CC/VQ).
    I did have some light breakfast pre-ride last year, and I got hungry around 8am. I took a few bites of a PB&J sandwich to satisfy my hunger.
    I think that once I start eating solid food my metabolism is "awaken", and I need to continue to feed the beast.
    Tailwind (Lemon) is my current fuel of choice. Sometimes I'll mix in some Skratch "Hyper Hydration" Mango.

23. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Definitely. For decades I have had a sesame bagel with cream cheese before I ride. If I vary from that it usually ends up with me burping up whatever I had. On the other hand Jennifer can eat just about anything she wants and any amount she wants and it doesn't affect her at all.

24. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Hmmmm. Just read up on that after reading this. Very interesting. After particularly hard rides (or hockey games), especially when it's hot, I get a raging headache which I've always chalked up to dehydration, but could never stop even drinking various electrolyte replacement drinks. Going to have to try this stuff beforenthe next time I do a ride when it's hot out.

Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  25. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    If I wake up 1 hour before a ride I blend a banana+almond milk+chia seeds+oatmeal+a tbs of Pb and keeps me full until I get home. Once in a while I carry bloks or gu.

Faust29, mike and mtnbikej like this.
  26. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Yes, I'm quoting my own post, but trust me it's worth it.:D

My second time at Core Sports Nutrition in HB, they asked it I had signed up for their rewards program (or something like that). After giving them my address, they mailed me a $10 off new customer coupon for me and a $10 off coupon for a friend. That's where all of you come in!

If anyone here is using Tailwind and is close to Huntington Beach, send me a message and we can figure out a way to get the $10 coupon to you. From what I recall, you may be able to sign up for the same thing and get $10 off for someone else and we can share the wealth on the forum. There's a $30 minimum purchase to use the coupon, but that means it will work for one of the big 50 serving bags.

I'll reply back to this message when the coupon has been claimed.

27. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
  28. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Ha, ha!

My name ain't April and I ain't no fool!

Faust29 likes this.
  29. emejay

emejay Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    jay elliott
    FYI....I just used the "UPGRADE20" 20% discount code successfully. No shipping charge if order over $50, which brings the cost down to just 57 cents a serving.

Also, I use a Camelback and have no problem with grunge developing in the bladder when using TW. Other mixes I have used which have protein in them create an awful mess. After each ride, I just toss the bladder in the fridge and have had no problems at all after doing this for months.

30. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    It really is good stuff... 50 miles across the desert yesterday with nothing but heavy dosed bottles of Tailwind (3 scoops)... I was tempted by the cookies at the aid stations, but the Tailwind was working, and I didn't want to break what wasn't broken. :thumbsup:

Not bad for a fat older guy with one gear...

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?