Endurance Nutrition

Discussion in 'Health' started by Faust29, Jun 24, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Oh! Just saw yours TWFACEBOOK15. Trying it now...

2. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    GRRRR. Expired as well...

mtnbikej likes this.
  3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Gonna give it a go with you tomorrow. I'll have Sunday to recover.

Voodoo Tom and Mikie like this.
  4. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    "J" we are really going to cruise it, so I hope that helps. For me tomorrow it's just hours in the saddle getting ready for Kokopelli... I hope this doesn't make it worse for you.

mtnbikej and Voodoo Tom like this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Nope.....it'll all be good. New riding buds, new dirt.

Mikie and Voodoo Tom like this.
  6. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Fueledbyex8, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Strandleper mentioned that in the Amazon thread. I haven't compared the prices yet, but I certainly like having options!

Mikie likes this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

It's the same.....it is being sold by Tailwind.....$7.99 shipping, Not Eligible for Amazon Prime.

Danimal and Mikie like this.
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Just wanted to throw out an update....I used this code yesterday and it still works.

2 weeks ago it did not.

Fijirob, tortoise and Mikie like this.
  10. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    TWFACEBOOK15

This code works again as of tonight. I needed to reup my supply and tried that on a lark (and it worked!).

11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    This thread has gone pretty inactive, even though I know that there are a few Tailwind converts amongst us now. @bigringrider101 cramped pretty badly in the Wrightwood 50 and we were talking about Tailwind at the end of the race. I thought the thread deserved a bump... I'm still pretty much cramp free since switching. If I get the beginning twinge of a cramp, a little Tailwind knocks it back.

I'm still a loyal user, but I've changed my methodology a little bit. In the beginning, I went 100% Tailwind with no added food, whatsoever. I've since found that on long rides (mtnbikej type rides...), it's best to rely on the Tailwind for the majority of the nutrition, but to also have a snack every now and then. During the Redlands 100, I didn't hold back on the brownies at the 4th aid station, and the real food was a real boost. :thumbsup: Since then, I've started carrying a small baggy of trail mix, and taking a handful at 2-3 spots during the ride. This formula also worked for the Pioneertown Ride, the Wrightwood 50, the scorching 12 Hours of Temecula ride in June, and a couple death marches with J.

I've also found that carrying plain water to wash down the Tailwind gets me farther than Tailwind alone. Sip of Tailwind, sip of water... Good to go. In situations where I need the backpack, I'll keep plain water in the pack and a bottle of Tailwind on the bike.

Edit: Since the company started, they have also expanded distribution to Amazon and a couple of local stores for those of us in the OC. Before the June Temecula race, I was running low and picked up a bag at the Endurance House in Laguna Niguel. It was just about the same price as on-line, and they had a few different flavors in stock. :thumbsup:

12. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @rossage just carries a small baggy...:whistling:

I too am a Tailwinds convert. Did the entire Kokopelli this year just on Tailwinds. Well, 8 hours on the trail for 3 days with a lunch break add the sag stop. I'm convinced, have never cramped since.

13. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    Discount codes anyone ?

Mikie likes this.
  14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Ok....I'll chime in.

Still using it....still works....99.9% of the time. Any ride over 2 hrs, it's what I use. Under that, it is just water.

Cramps have been non existant....as long as I drink enough. I have started to cramp(got the twinge) but it never actually bit. However these were really long rides on some pretty sweltering days, and I wasn't drinking enough.

I usually start out my death marches/big rides with 3 full bottles of TW. As I refill during the ride, I will usually start to leave one bottle for just water, just to break it up a little bit.

Still don't do any outside food.

As I said above, it works 99.9% of the time. Pioneertown last year was a bad day for me....I found that the TW wasn't working, so I ate a lot at the aid station. WW50 they had peanut butter cups....didn't need them, but wanted them...so I had some.

The few times I have had to carry my pack, I just ran pure water in the bladder and used it to refill the bottle and mix in TW as needed.

Oh yeah....still don't like the taste of the Green Tea flavor. :gag:

15. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    Twfacebook15 works as of today.

Mikie and Voodoo Tom like this.
  16. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    I'm still sold on the stuff. I run tailwinds in my hydration pack and just carry a bottle of water to wash it down with once in a while. Took me a little while to figure out what mixture I liked. Started with the recommended 2-3 scoops per 24 ounces and while it worked just fine it would get way too chalky tasting after a couple hours. Tried to alternate between water & tailwinds but that was too much work. I now run roughly one scoop per 15 ounces of water and that seems to suit me just perfect. Like @Faust29 mentioned I don't mind supplementing it with a small snack later in the ride if I need it. For me that's usually 1/2 of a PB&J sandwich at most and while I still carry a couple cliff bars with me I have yet to need them and almost always end up giving them to someone else who does. Similar to what @Mikie said I did the entire Kokopelli ride this year on just Tailwinds and have done many all day epics with no cramping.

17. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Thanks for reviving this thread. I popped for some TW last week after hearing about it in a lot of ride reports. Cramping's been a big problem for me and I wanted to try something other than magnesium capsules or Enduralytes. So, 3+ hours of trail work on a warm Monday afternoon with my first camelbak-full and no cramping whatsoever. I bought the caffeinated green tea because I didn't want anything fruity, but it tasted blah. I mixed in some bottled green tea and it was much better. Got it at Endurance House in Laguna Niguel. Thanks Guys!

18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Are you guys depending on Tailwind principally to relieve cramps? Is the product beneficial to a rider who doesn't have cramping issues?

TIA!

Faust29 likes this.
  19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The lemon and the orange are really mild... If I didn't read the package, there are times my dull taste buds can't really tell which is which. The berry is the only one that I think has that "sweet" taste.

The naked is also good... And I've mixed that with my wife's Crystal Light to give it a grape flavor. If you order from the company, they always throw in a single serve pack as a sampler. You can request which one.

Cornholio and kioti like this.
  20. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The main benefit lies in the fact that it can replace food on long rides. I've done some long ones... 50+ miles on nothing but Tailwind, with 200-250 calories in each bottle. I've found, though, that mixing in a little food works best for me. On the last couple 10,000 foot days, which are my upper ceiling, I've taken nothing but Tailwind and a sandwich bag half-filled with trail mix.

I usually start to wean myself off the Tailwind about an hour before the finish, and switch to plain water. If I go straight Tailwind to the finish, I find that I'm really not that hungry for awhile after the finish. If I go to water before the end, the appetite comes back, and I can enjoy the big burger at the finish...

21. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Thanks Steve. I was standing in front of the display looking at all those flavors at $2.25 a pop and thinking it was going to be an expensive taste test! Stopped drinking cytomax because the citric acid messed with my stomach on rides. But I drink a lot of diet green tea, even on rides, so it seemed a safe bet. I like the Crystal Light idea because it's powdered, light and easily added on long rides anytime water's available. Assuming I can get back to long rides..

Cornholio, littlewave and Faust29 like this.
  22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I treat it first and foremost an electrolyte replacement drink....with the extra benefit that it is also a calorie replacement drink.

Does it help with the cramping...for the most part. If you really don't cramp, will you still benefit from it....YUP.

Personally I am not real big on stopping every 30-45 mins for a snack. You add those stops into a 8-10 hr ride and it just takes too much time. With the TW, I can drink those calories while in motion and eliminate those stops.

23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I've also found that mixing the flavors.....Berry/Naked, Berry/Lemon, Lemon/Naked helps to not get burned out on one flavor. I usually buy one of each bag when I order.

We bought the Green Tea cause my wife wanted to try it. Good thing she can stomach it, because I cannot...and the bag is almost gone.

I also found that the Caffinated flavors have a very metallic aftertaste....most likely because of the caffeine.

DangerDirtyD, mike, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  24. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Okay, I will bite. Love the stuff!

I drink it 1 scoop in a 24 oz cup with ice in the morning as I am messing around the house, (getting equip dialed, emptying intestines, etc. ) before all rides.

For a ride under two hours, just water.

For the usual 3-4 hour Sunday rides, one scoop per bottle of naked per bottle (two bottles) works perfectly. Tastes like very diluted Gatorade (original). I usually bring two Gus and a pack of shotblocks, but usually just eat one or two of the blocks (and give the rest of the nutrition away to my riding buddies).

For death marches, I go two scoops and usually do some hard nutrition for psychological reasons. And when Steve whips out the trail mix, I don't want to get jealous.

I also drink it after my evening rowing/riding sessions. One scoop. It kills the night time leg cramps that are the bane of my existence.

DangerDirtyD, herzalot, mike and 4 others like this.
  25. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Thanks for all the info here everyone. I will be switching from Skratch the TW on my next order. Cramped up pretty bad last month on a ride but that was partially due to less saddle time this year and health issues. Thinking TW could just give me some extra help as I am getting my stamina back for longer rides. I often pack a sandwich or food but then don't always eat because I'm just not hungry on rides so TW seems like a good alternative.

DangerDirtyD, kioti, mike and 4 others like this.
  26. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    I am really glad everyone is enjoying the benefits of Tailwind!!!! I have been using the stuff for a couple of years now and it just works. Maybe we can reach out to them, tell them about our IMTB Trails website and possibly work them for a discount code for online orders or something? Heck, they sponsor a nutrition thread on MTBR and post really good information about the product and general nutrition questions. Maybe they can sponsor this thread and provide help, guidance and a discount? Mikie...work your magic.

DangerDirtyD, herzalot, kioti and 7 others like this.
  27. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    Got mine today "mandarin" ...really fast shipping (ordered on thurs nd got it today morning) and got a sample of naked flavor...wonder what is it going to taste...??

herzalot, kioti and mike like this.
  28. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Used TW again today for our 3+ hour trail work on Lynx. My 100 oz. mixture is two 17 oz. Diet Lipton green teas, one full measuring cup of green tea caffeinated TW (about 7 scoops); then fill with water to the top. Fast, easy, flavorful and effective.

DangerDirtyD, Fijirob, jaime and 3 others like this.
  29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Just a heads up.......

Tailwind Nutrition is having a 20% off sale via their website through Monday. No coupons required.

Time to stock up.

30. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    :bang: Just bought some the other day but gonna get me some more, thanks for posting..

mtnbikej likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?