Endurance Nutrition

Discussion in 'Health' started by Faust29, Jun 24, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Naked is good!

I stand by my power bacon. Talk about tailwinds....brrrrraaaaappppp!!!!!

DangerDirtyD, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I go back and forth between lemon, orange, and naked. I like the extra caffeine in the berry, but that one was too "fruity" for me. It reminded me of the overly sweet stuff I've used in the past. I may get a bag next time, and mix it with one of the others... I'm probably going to try the green tea when it comes out. I missed the demo sale...

3. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Green Tea? interesting.... I got a Cliff bar and some cold green tea

Mikie likes this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Skratch Labs came out with a Green Tea, and it was horrible. Then again, I am not a green tea fan anyway. Fortunately, my wife liked it, so it didn't go to waste.

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  5. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I mix it 50/50 naked an caffeinated. Very light flavor and get boost I want. But then I ain't riding 5-10 k rides.

6. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Hey @Mikie when we did Joplin together, I thought I heard you say that you just put Tailwind in your hydration pack. Did I hear that right? Do you find that you get gunk build up in your hydration pack from that? I've been a firm believer of only ever putting water in there to limit the cleaning regimen I need to do. Do you just clean it regularly and so be it?

I'm finding that Tailwind is working well for me, but on days without a water refill, I'm limited to the two bottles I can carry. So I'm still carrying water on my back, but I'm using it less and less as I get acclimated to Tailwind. I like my hydration pack, but carrying it around with no water in the bladder seems to be a missed opportunity.

7. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    Cougar- It's perfectly fine to run Tailwind in your hydration bladder. But you need to rinse it out after a ride. It cleans out pretty easy.

Cyclotourist and Faust29 like this.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Yep! @Fijirob is correcto-mundo, I have put it in my Camelbak for the longer rides. I figure 2 large scoops per 25 oz. of water gives me a plus or minus ride of 4 hours. Has worked out very well both times.
    I also use Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide in my Camelbak as well to keep it clean of gunk...

9. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Ah ha. I just bought one of the generic hydration pack cleaner kits. Using only water so far I haven't had to clean it very frequently at all. (I'm a low maintenance sort of fella - don't ask my wife) I'm sort of hesitant to add some time to my post riding chores by putting a hydration pack cleaning regimen in :(

The other thing that you get from bottles that you don't with a hydration pack; visibility into how much (or how little) you are drinking. "Okay, I need to finish this bottle before XXX - oh crap I'm behind". There needs to be an invention that can measure your hydration pack levels and remotely sends a signal to a device on your handlebars or cell phone (I retain all rights to this invention idea if there isn't something like this already! :p)

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    http://shop.camelbak.com/flow-meter/d/1143

11. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  12. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Does the Tailwind dissolve and disperse well enough to allow for this? My concern is that I think that I am spot on for my nutrition, but due to varying concentrations at the top of the bladder versus the bottom, I am not. Thoughts?

Runs with Scissors, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  13. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Ride bumpier trails to keep it mixed? :whistling:

StrandLeper, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  14. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    The nice thing about Tailwind is that it dissolves pretty easy. You could dissolve it by mixing it in a pitcher then pour it into your bladder. Or you could do it the old fashioned way and put the scoops of Tailwind into your bladder and fill 'er up! Just shake it around with air in the bladder to dissolve it, then release the air as normal. Remember, Tailwind is not that thick so it is easy to work with.

Runs with Scissors, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  15. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    Hey Cougar, one time I had some tailwind left over on my camelbak for a week, and when had time to clean it, no gunk build up, and just rinsed and was good to go for another ride, I love tailwind !!

Cougar, Mikie, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Gears, hydration packs, rear shocks... Sounds way too complicated! :whistling:

I've only worn a pack with Tailwind once or twice, but I did not have any issues, and it cleaned out easily. My son has used that bladder a couple times since then with plain water... He didn't complain about any residual taste.

Cougar, Mikie, mtnbikej and 1 other person like this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
  18. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I think there are more than a couple of folks on this forum that qualify.

Mikie likes this.
  19. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Update: For my Sunday ride with J I just did Tailwind the entire ride. Used three bottles. One water, two Tailwind. Consumed five bottles of Tailwind on the ride... and then two more on the ride home. No cramps. I ate a bonkbuster on the way home... because it was sitting next to me saying "eat me." Feeling pretty comfortable that this will be my main nutrition in Temecula... but I will probably supplement with a little bit of Gu every two hours just to make sure that I don't fall into a nutrition deficit. At around hour 8, I am sure that my mind will be messing with me BIG TIME.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, MnMDan and 3 others like this.
  20. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    You only have to worry if you start to understand the voices in your head.;)

Mikie, Faust29 and StrandLeper like this.
  21. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    So just to add to the database:

I rode the Tour de Palm Springs today. 101 miles, 2,600 feet elevation gain, 6:09 riding time. I discovered that, for me, a hearty breakfast (ham & cheese omelet, hash browns, English muffin, coffee) 30 minutes prior to the start, plus 3 bottles 1st Endurance and 1 of water, was perfect.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, jaime and 4 others like this.
  22. verdugist

verdugist Guest

So I was actually wondering about filling a water bottle with salt but then you augmented the idea with the suger. I tried Skratch Orange exercise hyrdration mix today (1.5 scoops in 24 oz water bottle) and although it was a much shorter duration ride (10miles; 1.5 hrs) I didn't have the same stomach area cramping I head for a very similar duration ride earlier this week. Tasted fine and I didn't carry a Camelbak this ride (i.e. no other food or liquids ingested). Had to urinate once at the top of the mountain but that's it.

Varaxis's solution is way more cost effective, but won't taste the same. Anybody else tried the home-made method?

Mikie likes this.
  23. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    I started out with the WHO "pedialyte/ORS" formula, then made it more cycling oriented. It's very much like Skratch's formula at the moment. Got all the ingredients stored in plastic containers, some in pre-mixed states, but prefer the separated state for versatility, that and I don't trust that it mixes evenly if I try to do a big mixed batch. I go for a lemonade flavor... I tried using the bottled lemon juice (from concentrate, also lime juice), but it has a heavier metallic roof-of-your-mouth type of aftertaste, so I switched to citric acid. I see why manufacturers have done the same... tastes fresher, for lack of a better word. I've added random stuff for flavor depth and buzz, including 5-hour energy free samples, some cans of juice I got from work, tea, etc.

Can find sugar for 2 lbs/$1 (ran into brown sugar at this price at 99c only, which replaced typical C&H/Domino brand white stuff), and get the Salt Balance or Salt Lite (salt with potassium) for about $4 from Stater Bros. Got the dextrose, sodium citrate (4mular brand) and calcium+magnesium citrate (NOW Foods brand) from Amazon.

Tried adding Vit B to it, but it made it taste (and smell) awful and gave it a brownish yellow color (also affected my piss similarly)... so bad I dumped the whole batch. Reminded me of those baby vitamin drops... the citrate version of calcium and mag absorb well compared to lactose and carbonate and go with the tangy flavor better. The sodium citrate has a side-effect of enhancing your sense of smell, which may affect your nose breathing if you're some place stinky or some place pleasant smelling. ;)

Let us know about how well it works for recovery, if you feel like you can do the same ride or harder on consecutive days without feeling sore nor the urge to sleep in.

Mikie and verdugist like this.
  24. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Dude you'd be better off buying a sports mix and synthesizing some variant of LSD-25 such that it has an immediately unique and therefore legal chemical structure (remember bath salts was actually sold legally for a while in stores - or still is?). But that sounded like an interesting experiment nonetheless.

I'm not a professional endurance racer so I honestly don't mind the cramping as much. It eventually goes away unlike my back pain :mad:

Mikie likes this.
  25. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Proper nutrition is beneficial for everyone, not just endurance racers.

I hesitate to let this through my tactful/politeful filter, but I get the impression that you're fresh out of your mother's womb, venturing into the real world as an individual, and have defensively narrowed your personal world to be so minimalist that you can't really see anything, and that's limiting your ability to figure the basic stuff out by yourself*. By posting here, you seem to be finding what you need to take steps forward, seemingly millimeter by millimeter, to expose yourself to more of the world, and quite frankly, even you're testing my patience with your pace. You don't appear to show that you're satisfied by perfectly good answers to your questions. Numerous people are giving you the special snowflake treatment by avoiding you and/or branding you as troll, and that doesn't seem to be working. How about doing some give and take here? Here's a chance to give back: I'm curious, please find me a 1-2 word term that best describes you in your perspective, and also what term you think others would describe you with. Perhaps that will cut to the chase and id the problem that truly needs fixing, so we can move on from this "no-drop" style of forum "riding".

Will rate the term(s) according to the Varaxis "Viviracy" scale. The less vivid, the more likely you end up on ignore. Bonus points for accuracy.

* That or the size of your personal world is limited by your lack of ability to understand and figure things out.

26. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Excellent. Shaka Zulu. Drowning ostrich. Oh don't ask why... Happy now?

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  27. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Oohhh drama! Anyone wanna ride 50 miles and then play smudge-butt?

28. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Ordering 2 bags of Tailwainds this morning. Anyone have a current Coupon Code?:whistling:

29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Did you try both the codes that were listed earlier in this thread?

Mikie likes this.
  30. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I tried the upgrade20 code and it said it had expired.

How's your shoulder feeling bud?

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?