End of Year... 2016

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UPSed, Dec 31, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    @Faust29 posted in another thread that he's been meaning to start an end of year thread. I shall take the liberty and start one for him. :thumbsup:

I ride as much as I can when I'm on vacation but am mostly restricted to one maybe two rides a week. That being said my numbers aren't too bad. Only one century and a few other road rides. The rest is all dirt.

145 rides
    2461 miles
    283,047 feet

I'm going to pat myself on the back and say not bad for a weekend warrior. :gag:

2. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I rode half as many times as last year but averaged more mileage and elevation per ride. Pretty pathetic numbers that I'll keep to myself this year. :speechless:

Aside from the lousy numbers it was still a great year and I enjoyed every ride. There were many days where I had a choice to either ride or spend time with my son and I don't regret choosing the latter one bit. The trails will be around but my son is only a baby once. :inlove: I am also stoked I got to meet some of the regulars on here and hope to get out on more rides with folks on here in 2017.

3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    140 rides.
    2,800 miles.
    145,000 feet.

More road than dirt since I commute a LOT 8 months of the year.

Lost some riding during the year due to some weird issues. But thats all over now and looking forward to more next year.

PATKOUG, Mikie, Bluesrider and 11 others like this.
  4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Don't know how many rides
    Don't know how many miles
    Don't know how many feet.

I do know that I am lucky to be alive.

Looking forward to a new year full of good health and prosperity.

Already getting New Years greetings from friends in Hong Kong, and a few early starters in South Africa.

PATKOUG, gunga din, Mikie and 14 others like this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Distance --------------5,838.0 mi
    Time ------------------667h 21m
    Elev Gain ------------803,491 ft
    Elev Gain per Mile --137'
    Rides -----------------213

Distance --------------7,538.4 mi
    Time ------------------826h 58m
    Elev Gain ------------1,002,362 ft
    Elev Gain per Mile --132'
    Rides -----------------239

Distance --------------7,290.4 mi
    Time ------------------795h 4m
    Elev Gain ------------978,501 ft
    Elev Gain per Mile --134'
    Rides -----------------275

Based on the numbers my 2016 was a bit of a letdown. Maybe it was the accumulation of 2014 and 2015 finally catching up.

While my major numbers were down....my feet/mile was up a little bit.

Don't get me wrong, I still had fun each and every time I rode my bike. Rode with a bunch of new peeps.

Looks like 2017 I will get back to business.

PATKOUG, Andy, Mikie and 12 others like this.
  6. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    We have alot to be thankful for. Just the ability to enjoy this great hobby, when some people can't walk or have some kind of disability. Every year is a gift , enjoy every turn of the crank! How ever many years you or I have ,the stats don't mean a whole lot, but the people and the friendships we've developed out on the trails and on this virtual site, mean alot more!!

PATKOUG, Mikie, Bluesrider and 12 others like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Thanks for getting the ball rolling, @UPSed. :thumbsup: Our entourage (2 adults + 9 teenagers) got back from Big Bear yesterday... Coming down the mountain is when I realized that I was still fighting the crud. My ears never popped, but it did feel at one point like my eyes might come out of their sockets. :Roflmao I haven't felt that type of pain since I blacked out scuba diving as a kid... Damn sinuses. o_O

My first thought was to look at the numbers on Strava. That's an easy way to quantify the year compared to last. In 2015 I climbed 364,000 feet and rode 3300 miles, all on the mountain bike, with the exception of two road centuries. So... At the end of 2015, I set my sights on hitting 400,000 feet in 2016. Not exactly a huge increase, but more than last year... I realized in September that I was going to easily hit the 400,000 mark and had a realistic shot at hitting 500,000. Then life got in the way, priorities realigned, and I went from my biggest month of the year (October) to barely riding, or exercising at all, in November and December. :thumbsdown:

So... Up 102,000 feet over 2015, but a little disappointed that I didn't hit the 1/2 million mark. Ehhh... Numbers are numbers. @herzalot and @rossage might be onto something. I'm not going to give up the data gathering, but the most memorable moments of 2016 were non quantifiable. Hearing Ross singing behind me on the Cannell Plunge... absolutely priceless and a little surreal. One of the best moments of the year. :thumbsup:

2016 memories...
    Palm Canyon, 100 miles in Redlands, breaking the 10,000 foot barrier 3 times, SART with the whole gang, a couple of rides in the Santa Monicas, The giant Big Bear group ride, death marches in the Santa Anas, The Wrightwood 50, the Cannell Plunge, Catalina, Introducing @StrandLeper to the Luge by way of O'Neill, Whiting, and Harding... All Priceless. 2016 was a good year on the bike, surrounded by good people. :thumbsup:

PATKOUG, Andy, Mikie and 14 others like this.
  8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    @scan and @rossage: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fun had is the only criteria I take seriously. Spent lots of time riding bikes this year, and had fun doing all of it. Landslide victory.

Props to you guys putting up killer stats and getting out often! :)

PATKOUG, Mikie, Cornholio and 9 others like this.
  9. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Yeah, stats or no stats, just get out and ride.
    What adults do with their data on their own time is their business....or wait, is there gonna be a drug test?

kioti, PATKOUG, DangerDirtyD and 12 others like this.
  10. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Here's my 2016 stats. A fun year of spinning the pedals. I climbed Everest 9 times. :thumbsup:

IMG_0103.PNG

PATKOUG, Cisco Roots, Andy and 9 others like this.
  11. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    o. m. g.

PATKOUG, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    No $40K per ascent, no sharing the mountain with frozen corpses, open latrines and spent O2 bottles? You didn't climb Everest. ;)

PATKOUG, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  13. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Details.......:)

PATKOUG, mike, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  14. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    My motto is pretty simple. Ride your frikkin' bike as much as possible. Don't look for excuses not to ride cause they are real easy to find. When not riding your bike, spend time with your family, drink a beer or two, and go to work so you can buy parts for your bike.

My year looked like this:
    Distance ___4,071.3 mi
    Time ___409h 0m
    Elev Gain ___435,974 ft
    Rides ___345

Sure I'd like more but being a family man and working 50-60 hours a week I think I did alright. The stat I like the most is that I saddled up 345 times(not counting the ones I forgot to record). Many of those rides were to commute to work by way of Omaha, or to exercise the dog & burn off some of his crazies, or to bond by bike with my son & wife, or 100+ degree temps, or 35 degree mornings with major headwinds. The rest were to places like the Kokopelli trail, SART, Cannel Plunge, Strawberry peak, Big Bear and on and on and on... No way I could guesstimate the number of weekends & miles were spent on new to me grade A top quality dirt but it was a bunch and for that I owe a huge thanks to one Mr @Mikie Watson... Made many new friends along the way to boot...

mike, PATKOUG, DangerDirtyD and 12 others like this.
  15. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Turns out I only did a few more rides than 2015, but did more miles and climbing (which is what I wanted)

Goal for 2017 - more time in the Santa Ana's (etc) for more elevation

Distance 4,533.5 mi
    Time 445h 57m
    Elev Gain 256,234 ft
    Rides 220

Distance 3,721.8 mi
    Time 368h 31m
    Elev Gain 180,709 ft
    Rides 191

16. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    I definitely don't have impressive stats for this year, no biggie. I did enjoy each and every painfully slow ride, those who had to wait for me, perhaps not so much HaHa.
    I also made the choice to spend more time with my son rock climbing instead of riding, pay off is he just got pulled onto a climbing team to train for Nationals. Now for 2017, I'm gonna just ride whenever I can and love every mile.
    See ya all next year

PATKOUG, UPSed, DangerDirtyD and 12 others like this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    As I said in the other thread, I rode about 88 times, not including cruises with my wife and daughter. I lost a month (April) for a broken hand. Probably about 2000' per ride, maybe a bit more this year as I was inspired by the animals of IMTB to push myself to get a little extra climbing in. So let's call it about 180,000'. I gave it to J though so he could get closer to a million, so I'm back to 0.

My only adventures this year were Golden Eagle in February and Tahoe/Donner in July. I ventured to Snow Summit/Big Bear, Fontana and my usual local rides (Aliso, LCWP, Santiago Oaks, STT/Luge, San Juan). I did have the pleasure of riding with about 15 IMTBers I had not met before, so that was cool! I am not sure anyone enjoyed their rides more than I did however. I love this stuff. :thumbsup: :cool: :)

PATKOUG, UPSed, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  18. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    For those of you who think tracking and sharing your ride states are silly? Awesome!
    For those of you who think tracking and sharing your stats are awesome? Awesome!

Imtbtrails mountain biking is about all and none of that! It's about both and neither, or either one. Mountain biking is about what is important to you, and how awesome is that, that there are so many facets of mountain biking to choose from...
    From the FLOOP to Cannell Plunge, from a quick ride out back, to camping in the outback! Mountain biking has it all. Riding alone to settle your soul, groups that meet your pace, the blazers, the trailblazers, as well as the big community rides.

It's the same about this forum. The ability to talk about everything... or absolutely nothing. A community of common ground, and common dirt!

A great year for me, very little injuries, not nearly the miles, or rides, or places I wanted to go. But I'm thankful for the time I do get in the saddle. But I'm sure you can suspect my greatest goal this year as always was to meet as many members as possible on new dirt rides. How do you measure that?

None the less, my New Year resolution would simply to be to keep on keeping on...
    Keep this site alive and healthy.
    Keep riding every chance I get.
    Keep riding with those of like mind.
    Explore and hit as much new hero dirt as possible!

Bike on!
    Mikie
    Oh... and here are my Stats! Ha ha...

IMG_0404.JPG

mike, PATKOUG, UPSed and 10 others like this.
  19. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    what? end of year 2016.. already? i am not 100% prepared for this.

i rode my bike. uphill. downhill. flew through air. bounced off ground. joyfully gasped for breath. blissfully railed through turns. thankfully pushed bike up moderate climbs. faithfully raced down mild chunk in dwindled light. built turns. dug drains. swung picks with friends old and new. helped hang a flag. posted on imtbtrails. spoke with land managers. advocated for mountain bikers. supported fellow diggers. said hello to hikers. stopped to smell the sagebrush. ran out of time. hello 2017!

20. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    And no 1% chance you will die, either.

pperrelle, mike, PATKOUG and 2 others like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Those are impressive numbers!

UPSed, pperrelle, mike and 1 other person like this.
  22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Sounds like a damn productive year to me! :thumbsup:

UPSed, pperrelle and kioti like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?