Durango quickie...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtbMike, Oct 19, 2019.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo & Intense Primer
    So I got sick the Monday before going to Durango and that lasted pretty much 10 days and the altitude wasn't helping. I finally got out 11 days later and rode some forest service roads with my daughter which led to double-tracks we used to ride dirt bikes on in the past. The next day I went out to Phil's World in Cortez solo and pushed myself early to beat rain that was expected by Noon. Well, I set a few PR's in the early stuff but it destroyed me as well as I started hacking up mucus. I throttled back but it was too late. I took an outer loop (Ledges) that I shouldn't have and ended up in survival mode. Of course it cleared up and no rain ever came. Today, I took my daughter to Twin Buttes and rode at my daughters pace which made things a breeze. Great sunny day with 55 degree temps made for a perfect ride.

I was hoping to ride a lot more but my daughter heads back to Germany tomorrow and my other friend that is here hunting is also sick so he didn't bring his bike. I'll get out solo a few more time before I leave.

Back in the National Forest at Saul's Creek, 20 miles East of Durango. The good part is I can ride out of the in-law's driveway but no single track to be had.
    fullsizeoutput_10c4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_10c5.jpeg

Phil's World in Cortez. A must do if you're ever in the area. Best designed trail "system" I've ever ridden. If you've ridden here, you know the infamous skull...which has seen better days.
    miuQ1cncR1OKDviKpvAPYQ.jpg

fUTvEX+gSSWnlHFQQQtxBg.jpg
    That the Mesa Verde National park in the very back of the photo.
    drXPGOY3RPC%O+tYMeSQkw.jpg
    Riding up the singletrack to get to the good stuff at Twin Buttes. This would be an awesome after work ride for locals, 10-15 miles all doable in 90 minutes of less tops. All 4 miles from downtown Durango.
    fullsizeoutput_10dc.jpeg

Z%rmWFdYTq2NXyUqSTe8Tw.jpg
    Looking down into the Animas Valley of Durango...
    gQblT+1xQmOqNWvHOz7NNA.jpg

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '20 Pivot Firebird 29
    Durango sucks.

(Nice photos and RR.)

3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Nice salvage job, Mike. Glad you got pulled it out and got family in time too. Late season up there is incredible. :thumbsup:

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Absolutely gorgeous. Like being in a dream.

mountaingirl sara and mtbMike like this.