Downloading geoladders map data to phone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mpmffitz, Jan 15, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Newbie

Name:
    Mike Fitzgerald
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 5
    Greetings to so many of you I have known from years ago.

My question for the audience is how best can I use my phone Galaxy s 5 to download maps comparable to using phone like a garmin?

2. cecole1

cecole1 Newbie

Name:
    Christopher
    Current Bike:
    2013 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    First off you'll need to download the route as a GPX file from Geoladders. To do that open the route you want, click the Download to GPS button which will redirect you to the following page. Look near the bottom for a Download as GPX link. Click that and save the file to your phone's SD card.

Next you'll need an application that can read that data file and overlay it on a map. A quick search on Google Play yielded this app as a possible option: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vecturagames.android.app.gpxviewer

Full disclosure: I have not used that app, so I can't vouch for it's reliability or feature set. Look around Google Play to find something that may suit your needs. Good luck!

1.png

3. cranky

cranky Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    T
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c
    Google has done a pretty good job getting a lot of popular trails on their maps - you can make a section of a map available for offline use at anytime. Its not perfect but a good back-up for emergencies - I have the San Gabes and San Bernadino mtn areas on my phone for such moments and its come in handy a few times for finding trailheads when driving and I lose reception.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?