Downieville Downhill

Discussion in 'Trails' started by herzalot, Oct 12, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Yes please...

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/downieville-downhill-now-boasts-7000-vertical-feet-of-descending.html

"And after nearly a decade of work, the grand opening of nine new miles of bike-legal singletrack and 1,500 extra vertical feet of non-motorized descent just happened! From the very top of the Sierra Buttes at 8,591 feet elevation on the Sierra Buttes Overlook Trail, the Downieville Downhill now boasts 7,000 vertical feet of descent to Downieville - dubbed the “Tower 2 Town”, one of the longest descents in North America."

Yikes! Posted too fast. Further down the article boasts about motorized and non-motorized use lower on the trail. Uhhhhh, no thanks.

2. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Why no thanks?

Sasquatch9billion, Mikie and mike like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I don't want to ride trails that allow motos...

4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Those trails wouldn't be there without motos.
    The Sierra Trail Stewards just put the cherry on top of the whipped cream.

5. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Motos aren't a big deal on those trails because they are real singletracks that require skills, so not that much moto traffic. I've only ever encountered a couple.

Some of the best trails I've ridden are open to motos. Not that its one of them but parts of Cannell are motorized. Lots of other stuff around Kernville is as well. White Clouds ID trails are largely motorized, as is lots in CO. Etc. Etc.

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Hmmmm, the trails I've ridden in CO and Tahoe that allow motos are as fun to ride as Cadillac "trail" in the OC - deeply rutted and/or basketball-sized loose rocks. One moto going up Joplin can tear it up beyond rideable. I guess I haven't had this experience of blissful co-existence of which you all speak, and I'm just referring to trail surface and not including the noise, smell and speed/weight differential. Motos and cyclists pretty much want different experiences, I have found. I love motos - they are fun, I just don't want to ride where they do, and I doubt they want to look out for us "pesky flies" that interrupt their flow as well. I can't see us playing well together.

7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Motos on dusty, loose SoCal ST: Bad
    Motos on sustainable trails like D-ville area: Thanks for partnering with MTBers
    Waggy Ridge: Hey, ya can't win 'em all...

TFPU, herz – it's on my list. :thumbsup:

8. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    So I guess you won't be carrying any spare gas in your pack?

9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Strike Cannell off the bucket list then... It's (I believe) open to motos from the top down to the meadow. That section is the chunkiest most fun part of the whole day.

mike, Cyclotourist and rossage like this.
  10. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    In July, when I last rode Downieville, I ran into 4 guys on motos at the bottom of Butcher by the famous bridge. They asked me how many were in my group-I was alone, and then if any more were coming down "shortly". I had just passed a group of 5 and I let them know. They decided to wait a few minutes as they were getting ready to climb the chunk and they didn't want to mess up anyone's downhill. Nice guys.

herzalot, mike, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  11. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    still haven't been to downieville... near Tahoe... drive in one day... any suggestions on best time of the year?

mike likes this.
  12. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Late Spring (depends on snow melt) and early Fall (depends on weather) seem to have the best conditions. I just rode it in early July, some small snow patches up top at Packer Saddle and dusty conditions coming down. Still awesome the whole way!

herzalot, HBkites, mike and 3 others like this.