Donating a bike

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike, Feb 7, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I know this has been discussed here a time or two. What are my options for donating MTBs or parts to a charitable cause? For kids, especially.

A couple of 26ers need a home this year. Not talking about @Mikie's, either. :geek:

Bikes for Bender – I do recall that one. TIA for other suggestions.

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    @Cyclotourist just posted the one in Redlands that is sort of a grass roots community organization. From his description, they take pretty much anything...

3. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    What about a local high school MTB league?
    There’s plenty of kids out there that want to race but don’t have the means of acquiring a bike.

4. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Do any of the local middle or high schools have a NICA team? I have donated my older parts to the teams in Prescott before. I actually have another box to take next week.

5. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
  6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Sidewalk, mountaingirl sara and mike like this.
  7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Hey, everybody, what's shakin'??? I don't think Bike 4 Bender has a mechanism for dealing with bike/parts donation. They do a lot of fundraising, and distribute that to non-profits, most often high school teams. HS teams need the money for kits and to defray league costs. Most of the kids already have a bike, although there may be kids that want to be on the team that could use one. Contacting the team/coach and see if they know. High school teams are tough, as it has to be the right size for the right kid at the right time. Coaches can't store it for when a kid needs it. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, it's just time dependent.

As I mentioned in the Redlands Strada Rossa conversation, the Redlands BikeBBQ GLADLY takes antique bikes as donation. The nicer stuff gets sold off for US American dollars which pays the rent, and the marginal Manga-grade stuff gets built up and earned in a build your ride program. There are many community-based bike shops around. Here's one in PHX if you're still out that way: https://www.phoenixbikes.org/ Earn a bike programs of any kind are anecdotally the best way to go, as the individual has a vested interest in the bike. They earn it, so maintain it, lock it up, and care for it. But YMMV of course!

Thanks for considering the donation, wherever it goes!

8. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    when I get a bike on travel I donate it to a local church. They always know of people in need.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?