Dirty Kanza 200

Discussion in 'Racing' started by DBMX119, Jan 12, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    So some friends of mine and I decided we wanted a bit of a challenge in 2016 and signed up for the Dirty Kanza 200. For those that don't know, DK200 is a Gravel Grinder event that starts and finishes in Emporia Kansas, and the only support allowed is at the 50, 100, and 150 check points.

http://www.dirtykanza200.com/
    • So far the training plan is to basically ride..... A lot, but I'm going to also race XC at some of the Kenda Cups, Sea Otter, etc to keep some intensity going.
    • Later in the spring we will be doing multiple 5 to 8 hour rides over a few consecutive days instead of just trying to work up to 200 miles. I read some stuff on training and this made sense as it helps with recovery and still stresses your body.
    • We're going to be on cross bikes with fairly large tires to help with flats on jagged rocks.
    • I'm planning on wearing a camel back with whatever else I can carry in that and on the bike (length of chain, spare cable, multiple spare tubes, etc).
    • My parents and some friends will be running support so that will help a lot (some people just go to local convenience stores).
    • We are well aware that it will suck and be a very painful day on the bike. Right now, my goal is to "Beat the sun", which is about a 14 hour finishing time.o_O
    Has anyone on here done it before (or know anyone that has)? Any tips tricks, etc?

mtnbikej, Cyclotourist, mike and 2 others like this.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    My only advice to keep a steady pace, go that way, and if something gets in your way, turn. :whistling:

In other words, I got nuthin'.

I can only imagine doing that. I've got it on my bucket list. Just need time and money. Good luck with it. :)

Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  3. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    Yeah, the planets kind of aligned this year for three of us, and my parents happen to be back there at that time, so we figured we should jump on it. Its getting way bigger, so it will be nice to be a part of it before it turns into a Leadville (lotteries, racing in for more $$, buying entry, etc). Last year sold out in a few days and this year the 1000 spots for the 200 were gone in around 2 hours.

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I read through their Rider's Bible, and the rest of the site... I couldn't stop. It just sounds too cool. Good luck with the training!

DBMX119 likes this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    This is supposed to be a great event! Awesome you can do it!

As I don't like carrying stuff on my back if I can help it, the only advice I have is a frame bag to carry miscellaneous junk. Carrying that weight for 14 adds up.