Diety T-Mac

Discussion in 'Flats' started by dustyyoungblood, Feb 28, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Tags:
  1. Why?

While I did have some experience on flat pedals in the past, I was primarily a hardcore fanboy and advocate for clipless pedals. Mostly Time and CB.

Recently a friend and rider I have a ton of respect for recommended I try some new school flats for my all mountain riding full time. I was a bit shaken and was surprised by what i was hearing. Flash back to a broken ankle/leg was about the last time i rode flats. Well, why not? So i jumped into it.

I selected the Diety T-Mac pedals after some careful research about platform size, concave, thickness, longevity.

The platform size is one of the largest in the market. The concave is one of the deepest. The Thickness is very thin compared to what was available a few years ago, but not as thin as what’s sold by HT or a few others. I lost zero time on any climbs switching to flats. In fact i started riding faster and in more control immediately. I can get more traction cornering on flats because i can press more weight into the pedals than i could clipped in. Think about that for just a minute before you dismiss the concept. My ankles stopped hurting. Another plus. I only came decoupled from the bike once bunnyhopping a curb, since then i adjusted technique and i literally never float away from the pedals.

Pros: bling factor is high. Design it edgy and current. I paired them with some new Five10 freerider pros. The shoe/pedal interface is fantastic. The concave seems to allow my foot to flex into the pedal shape in a very stable position. I have never yet slipped a pedal. I enjoy the performance on all the trails I ride and have never thought needed anything more from them. Recently i flipped back to old CB 50/50’s and there is literally no contest in how much better the concave/thickness/contact area size contribute to better riding. Confidence inspiring.

Cons: the pins are a pretty basic set screw arraignment. The pin holes are not completely threaded through the platform and are left standing a little to tall for my preferance. If i could screw down a couple of them another 2mm i would. The total number of pin locations is on the low side. 2-4 more pin locations per side would be helpful in tuning in the contact points.

Warranty claim: after 450 miles the pedals developed some lateral play. I was just going to other a bearing kit and replace. However i checked with Eric Davies(the owner) and he confirmed this should not happen. They opened an RMA and Customer Service representative replaced them with new pedals no questions asked. This is satisfying and shows they stand behind the product. If it happens again i will blame a design problem but for now it’s an anomaly.

5C3F8D66-9AD9-4963-8615-3E01A3FB8F87.jpeg

Faust29, mike, pperrelle and 3 others like this.
  2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    This ^^^ is some good reviewing!!!

dustyyoungblood likes this.
  3. Severum

Severum Member

Name:
    Tyson
    Current Bike:
    2016 Yeti SB5.5
    I run the Diety Bladerunners and love them after coming from being clipped in for 15+ years. No more knee pain for me.

Great CS from Diety........

Cyclotourist and dustyyoungblood like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I like Tyler McCaul. :thumbsup:

I don't like pins that stick out too far and can't be adjusted in enough.:thumbsdown:

Thanks for the review. :cool:

Cyclotourist likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?