Deukmajian Park/Mt Lukens

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by rossage, Feb 15, 2014.

1. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Great ride out there with Mikie. Check out how much fun he was having! And we were just starting...

rotw_mikie_1.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  2. driffter33

driffter33 Member

Name:
    Warren Hornaday
    Current Bike:
    2013 Giant Anthem X 29er
    Great ride today! The greatest rides are the ones you tell your grandchildren about! :cool: cool grampa thanks for waiting for me! :wink:

The New Warren, Buena Park Bicycles!

Mikie likes this.
  3. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    :shock: Way to hang in for the extra credit, Warren. We added about 8 miles and 2000 ft of climbing. Totals for the day were 18 miles and 4700 ft of climbing.

Mikie likes this.
  4. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Nothing, I said nothing like riding with Ross and his off the chart climbs! Got to do it if you want the GOOD STUFF. And not to far away either. Sorry I missed it, had to work.

Mikie likes this.
  5. imtbtrails

imtbtrails Guest

LOOK at that guys CALVES! :shock:

Mikie likes this.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    So was it a day like any other day? One that illuminates and enlightens? Yeah, it was. It was another Over The Bars Club Adventure hosted by none other than El Presidente himself. There are a couple of guys names I forgot. Next time it's pen and paper!!!! Clue me in so I can add those rockstahs names in the report! Thanks!

Hans aka El Presidente stated before the ride, "This is not a popular mountain bike trail." Hmmmm, wonder why? Roughly 2800 feet in 5 1/2 miles of steep trail with 30+ switchbacks might have something to do with it. But when you are hanging out with a bunch of OTB'ers, rossage, add in the bonus of The New Warren, even a death march is a good time!

It was Rim of the Valley, AKA Deukmajian Park, home of Mt. Lukens. That's what they are calling this? More like switchback alley... :?

Not exaggerating, but we must have hit no less than 60 switchbacks riding up and down those trails. Crazy as that may sound, it was a blast!
    I know the mileage on this ride was low, but the elevation gain was crazy! So some of us did a 2 for 1 ride. After the Mt. Lukens ride; rossage, the New Warren, and myself decided to drive over to a different trailhead to climb up to do Blue Bug Trail.

We started at the Deukmajian Park parking lot and jumped right into the climb. It became a contest to clean the switchbacks as we gained the elevation. Stopping on occasion to let the group regather. The trails was tight and twisty and even down right too obtuse in some sections to clean it without dabbing. Even at one point a hike a bike up some railroad tie stairs. But the climb was not as near as precarious as the descent. The singletrack turned into a fire road that took us to the top of Mt. Lukens. At the top, though a bit hazy you could see the peak of last weekends excursion to the top of Santiago Peak down in Mission Viejo. As well, you could see the top of Catalina Island above the low lying clouds.

After a nice break at the top chowing some grub and shooting the bull, some guys started putting on Armour and I'm thinking oh boy, here we go again. So I got totally radical and lowered my seat about 4 inches. Yeah, I really know how to party!

We took off to the east and quickly discovered that Hans had a blown rear shock and his cables were rubbing on his rear wheel. Put as much air in it as he could and we took off. First down a fire road, then off on a chunky, twisty, exposed singletrack. Sometimes extremely narrow, sometimes narrow with not much bar clearance! It was great. The sheerness of the slope we were traversing across from switchback to switchback was intense, I have to admit a couple times I had a pucker factor begin to rise. But mostly I was entertained by "basher". It was Hans out front, then Basher, then me. Switchback after switchback, basher would flounder through, most were near misses, but a couple of times off the bike, nearly over the bars, and twice; just completely off the trail. I liked his tenacity. He kept saying, "You're not going to get better if you don't go for it."

I just kept pulling my inside foot out of my pedal and locking the rear around the corner. I know, I know; skids are for kids. I really could not see another way to do it, the corners were so tight. Maybe you could bunny hop the rear wheel but if you mucked that up you could be toast off the trail and down the side of the mountain non stop. Yeah, it was THAT steep!

We stopped a couple of times to regroup. The New Warren was up on the trail somewhere learning to negotiate switchbacks. We finally spotted his socks and then found him attached to them. Warren, those socks?!?!?

A couple of more precarious miles and we were at the bottom and cruisin' in to the parking lot. With only 10 miles in, I was still feelin' antsy to get some more miles in. So was rossage and The New Warren. We said out goodbyes to the crazy OTB Club and stocked up on a little bit of water and headed over to do the climb up to the Blue Bug Trail.

By this time it was 86 degrees in February and for some reason that hit me hard. I was draggin'! Rossage and The New Warren were mentally pulling me up the hill. Kind enough to hit a couple of stops along the way. My legs were good, my lungs were good, and my heart rate felt fine, but something was off. When we got into some elevation and some shady areas, there was a slight cool breeze and I perked right back up. What the???? Heat is getting to me? Never been a problem before.

So by the time we got to the top to drop down Blue Bug, I was feeling my chipper self again.

Blue Bug was a blast! Very swoopy, flowy, with some surprise chunk, and very big surprise exposure in a couple places. Combined with some outcrops of rock to catch a bar when you leased expect it, I was pleasantly surprised at this sleeper of a way cool trail. Naturally we had to get a picture with the Blue Bug!

Dropping down to the canyon floor to some super river bed chunk and then back on to the fire road gone bad singletrack we climbed up, we bombed back down to the cars to get some X-tra credit in for the day.

The New Warren had to take off, but Rossage and I hit up a Straw Hat Pizza for a couple of individual Pizza's. I had a couple Pints of Stella ;) .
    Another successful day of trail riding with some of the best buds on the planet!

Proofalicious:
    Rim of the Valley/Mt. Lukens: <a class="postlink" href="http://app.strava.com/activities/113551975" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://app.strava.com/activities/113551975</a>
    Blue Bug Trail: <a class="postlink" href="http://app.strava.com/activities/113551966" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://app.strava.com/activities/113551966</a>

Pics! N-Joy!:

rotw_46.jpg

rotw_45.jpg

rotw_44.jpg

rotw_43.jpg

rotw_42.jpg

rotw_41.jpg

rotw_40.jpg

rotw_39.jpg

rotw_38.jpg

rotw_37.jpg

rotw_36.jpg

rotw_35.jpg

rotw_34.jpg

rotw_33.jpg

rotw_32.jpg

rotw_31.jpg

rotw_30.jpg

rotw_29.jpg

rotw_28.jpg

rotw_27.jpg

rotw_26.jpg

rotw_25.jpg

rotw_24.jpg

rotw_23.jpg

rotw_22.jpg

rotw_21.jpg

rotw_19.jpg

rotw_18.jpg

rotw_17.jpg

rotw_16.jpg

rotw_15.jpg

rotw_14.jpg

rotw_13.jpg

rotw_12.jpg

rotw_11.jpg

rotw_10.jpg

rotw_9.jpg

rotw_8.jpg

rotw_7.jpg

rotw_6.jpg

rotw_5.jpg

rotw_4.jpg

rotw_3.jpg

rotw_2.jpg

rotw_1.jpg

Faust29 likes this.
  7. driffter33

driffter33 Member

Name:
    Warren Hornaday
    Current Bike:
    2013 Giant Anthem X 29er
    Thanks again to everyone for a great ride Followed buy the best of ride reports!

The New Warren, Buena Park Bicycles!

Mikie likes this.
  8. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    The New Warren! It's guys like YOU, that make them the best rides and ride reports! You're a great rider and fun to hang out with, and that's what it's ALL ABOUT! Thanks Buddy!

Mikie

9. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Great ride report as usual Mikie. That was a good crowd that showed up for what turned out to be a switchback slugfest!
    Blue Bug was a great way to end it-even if the heat on the climb almost ended you!
    Here's a pic if the whole snake....

20140215_095756.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  10. BCrummett

BCrummett Member

Name:
    Brandon
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo HD3
    I climbed the Mt. Leukens fire road to the top and descended the same way on President's day. Perfect weather and a great climb! If I wanted to descend those single tracks from the summit, where do I find the trails? Thanks!
    -B :mrgreen:

Mikie likes this.
  11. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    I was following others so I didn't pay extremely close to the details. The STRAVA up above should give you a good idea. We headed East from the Radar Towers and descended the Fire road to a right turn onto a singletrack and the madness began from there. It was really a cool trail...

12. BCrummett

BCrummett Member

Name:
    Brandon
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo HD3
    It's pretty cool/random that you guys did that ride, and posted the single track conditions & stravas. I took the fire road route in hopes of being able to scope out some of the single track from above and get my bearings, which worked to a certain degree, but you guys filled in all the blanks that I was wondering about. Thanks!

Mikie likes this.
  13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    That looks like one full-value day of biking! Nice work, guys. The terrain sounds killer. Mikie is sharp on those switchbacks; this I know from experience :cool: Basher stole the show, though. You gotta appreciate a guy like him.

Love to get up thataway and hit some choice dirt. I know y'all got it in spades up there. No pun intended.

Cheers...

Mikie likes this.
  14. El Presidente

El Presidente Newbie

Name:
    Hans
    Awesome report and photos Mikie! Always a pleasure to ride with you!

Here is the track for BCrummett. <a class="postlink" href="http://connect.garmin.com/dashboard?cid=803939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://connect.garmin.com/dashboard?cid=803939</a>

Just remember there is a reason why these trails are not popular with mountain bikers! Lots of tight swichbacks and serious exposure!

Mikie likes this.
  15. BCrummett

BCrummett Member

Name:
    Brandon
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo HD3
    Sounds just like all of my favorite rides in the San Gabes.. Just what the doctor ordered!

Mikie likes this.
  16. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Nice guys you really put up the altitude!

Mikie likes this.