Demo rides Specialized

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Voodoo Tom, Jan 15, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Doesn't seem to be many Specialized fans around here but I thought I would throw it out here anyways. Couple of Specialized demo rides going on this weekend.

Saturday Jan17th 10:00-2:00 at Tapia (charlie canyon). More info here <a class="postlink" href="http://www.performancecyclery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.performancecyclery.com/</a>

Sunday Jan 18th 10:00-2:00 at Descanso Gardens. More info here <a class="postlink" href="http://www.montrosebikeshop.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.montrosebikeshop.com/</a> (good people by the way)

Won't be attending due to work :evil: and my sons birthday party & basketball game but I thought maybe someone may want to go abuse er I mean test ride somebody elses stuff.

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hah! :D
    You got thanked by Special Ed because he's one of the few on this site that owns a Special Ed, and you got thanked by me cuz I thank everything! :lol:

Not a lot of Specialized love around here, but they DO make some nice bikes :D

3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Got a full fleet of Special Ed's. Wait til I install the DVO Diamond on my Stumpy FSR 29er!

4. Black Licorice

Black Licorice Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Nomad
    i loved my specialized enduro and would have entertained the idea of getting another if they had realeased a true 650b bike at the time.

5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I'm going to confirm they are no good. I've tested a couple higher end 650b's and so far still like my Carbon Comp Stumpy FSR 29er better. I've been on it for 2 years now so I think it's fair to say I'll be able to determine if their 650b is a hack job.

6. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Had my eyes on a camber carbon evo last year but test rode it and decided I wasn't ready to go 1x11 just yet.

7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I have recently demoed Niner and Ibis bikes. They were both equipped with 1x11. I am a weekend warrior so unless it is a gradual climb it's tough to fairly evaluate the bike. My fiance had the same problem. Personally I understand that you can always opt for 2x but some people won't bother to ask. I voiced my concerns because IMO the average Joe can't push 1 X 11 and it may deter their decision.

8. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Oh good now I don't feel bad knowing me and some Special Ed guy and a girl can't push 1x11 :lol:. Seriously though, I'm not buying the 1x hype at least for 29" wheels...

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Great bikes - hate the company. Won't buy. Bye bye...

10. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    That could be a very long wait!

11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Less than a month!

12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Here's yet another example why Specialized (the company) sucks balls. Our own Eric Carter was team manager that got the best out of Gwin and Brosnan last year, so what do they do?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.pinkbike.com/news/eric-carter-joins-marin-bikes-2015.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.pinkbike.com/news/eric-carte ... -2015.html</a>

13. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    They've been saying that for three months.

14. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    Puck Sfecialized!

15. Black Licorice

Black Licorice Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Nomad
    You did this on purpose right!
    <a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo-KmOd3i7s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo-KmOd3i7s</a>

I actually just realized that 1x11 for me is pretty beneficial because it doesn't allow me to use the granny gear as a crutch. I am a horrible climber and pedaler overall. I typically get "stuck" just pedaling in an easy gear. I forced myself to ride in "third gear" with my 1x11 and barely made it up the mustard climb. Ended up not being far off from my PR in which I used the granny gear. I attribute this to having to just step it up and get it done. On a more flat 2 mile section (borrego trail) I told myself to use a typically higher gear only to find myself get a PR by a pretty good margin.

This is with a 34x40 1x11

When people fly by me while going up a climb, I do like to say, "this 1x11 didn't come with the man gear."

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Put down the STRAVA and back away slowly where I can see your hands...

17. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Well we showed up 30 minutes early for the demo and waited for the trailer to show up. Around 10 decided they were late and we really wanted to ride. Thankfully we brought our own bikes. Started off on the paved road then came across the demo trailer about a half mile from where they said they would be. Stopped to see what they had and most bikes were already gone. The dude from the bike shop was not very friendly and not very understanding. Anyways we took off and did a few laps of Tapia then stopped back by on our way out. Now we were talking to the demo crew and they were super knowledgeable and helpful. Jennifer has tried a few 650b and 29er bikes and hasn't really fell in love with any of them. Right now she is on a Stumpjumper FSR 26er. After a short discussion the guy had her jump on an $11,000 S Works Era. It's basically the female version of the epic. To this date she has not liked any 29er at all. She hopped on the Era and immediately felt at home. She only had time to pedal it around the dirt parking lot but the demo dude and myself could see that she was in love. I haven't seen her smile that much since the day she first laid eyes on me. Seriously though how often is it that you just jump on a bike and say wow? Since she's opened her eyes again to a 29er we stopped by JRA on our way home and picked up an Ibis Ripley for her to demo tomorrow.
    4c7eca657ec19aa0d8ffb1c95f0a5393.jpg

18. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Ouch $11,000 that'll leave a mark...

19. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Ed - thanks for posting about the S-Works Era. The demo trailer will be in O.C. next weekend and I will put that on my list to test ride.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?