Deer hunting season

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mikie Robin Mcguire, Oct 8, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    To our IMTBtrail family, please be aware that Deer hunting season started today October 8th -November 6th, So please be extra careful when visiting our Angeles National Forest & Other forests. Today while on patrol we saw dozens and dozens of hunters on the trails & fire roads . Please Take care .. Thank you, hugs

2. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Thanks for the warning.
    It's a hell of a thing, killing a large mammal. Can be quite tasty though...

3. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    And if you do ride up in the Angeles National Forest, please check your helmet for any stuck branches! :whistling:

UPSed, Faust29, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  4. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    orange helmet time

kioti, Faust29, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Yup....found out this morning out in the Santa Ana Mountains when we ran across 40 or so hunters.

rossage, Faust29, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  6. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    The crowds are the main reason I quit deer hunting in socal. :gag:

But I do love me some venison. That's some good stuff. And better for you than beef.:thumbsup:

Faust29, Mikie and rossage like this.
  7. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Always unnerving to hear the sounds of gunshots as I'm riding along. Thanks for the warning. Local parks for the next month or so.

rossage and Mikie like this.
  8. Marty657

Marty657 Member

Name:
    Marty
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz TB2C
    Funny story from last years deer season. On a cloudy fall day I was a few miles in climbing Sunset Ridge to Mt Baldy when all of a sudden something big, a few feet ahead moved quickly towards me . Scared the crap out of me, I might have screamed and pd a little! It was 2 hunters in full camo that were sitting there looking into the canyon below. Turns out they heard me coming and moved to see what it was. Should have checked my heart rate because I am sure there was a spike. Watch out for those camo guys.

rossage, mike, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  9. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  10. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I used to hunt whitetails in NY... Which involved walking out of the front door, across the street, and into the tree stand. :whistling: This also involved a lot of freezing temps... I have no desire to do that anymore, and my kids thought they had stepped back in time when we visited in the fall one year, and there were deer hanging from trees in many a front yard.

I ran into a truck full of hunters just below Santiago peak, and another group walking up Harding, about a mile below 4 Corners. Is it legal to ride in the bed of a truck? I also ran into a fire patrol and a ranger in the same area. It looked like they were having a chat with the driver of the truck...

12. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I'll be wearing my neon green tee shirt.

13. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    No. This is California, after all. That which is not compulsory is forbidden.:eek:

herzalot, rossage and Mikie like this.
  14. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    I'm have neon yellow jersey and green helmet so hopefully I am not mistaken. I doubt any of us will see or hear many hunters. It's been too dry to support good herds. Hell im not hunting in California period this year for that reason.

rossage, mike, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  15. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    If you ain't out there in the dark, staking out a spot you know has deer activity, you probably will be getting your venison from Whole Foods. Typical ANF "hunters " seem to like to hang out near their truck and coolers. Sitting in a folding chair and sipping beer with a rifle across your camo-clad lap does not make you a hunter

mike, singlespeedrider, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  16. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll be wearing my orange helmet, and fluorescent green jersey tomorrow morning up at Mt. PiƱos. I rode there in deer season a few years back and we nearly scared the pudding out of a couple of hunters on the way down. Maybe I'll wear a bell too. . . . .

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    It could have been because it looked as though several of the group of hunters out there yesterday had camped up there.....lots of tents set up. So CNF Rangers may have been patrolling. If it was Dept. F&G Rangers....you were lucky to see them, there are only a couple for all of So. Cal.

herzalot, rossage and Mikie like this.
  18. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    why would anyone hunt deer in so cal? its like expecting to catch lots of good waves in the middle of summer when there is a good swell.

herzalot, rossage, mike and 2 others like this.
  19. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I completely stop riding Golden Eagle this time of year (which unfortunately is one of the BEST times of year to ride it!). I'm amazed at all the Tecate beer cans left on the trail afterwards that I clean up. What a sack of losers!
    Worse yet, like @rossage stated above. In my own personal box canyon I live in, there is a stretch of fire road about 1 3/4 miles long that the hunters drive up and down real slow with barrels hanging out the window like they are driving through a McDonalds. Of course they are dressed up in their camouflage, many have been busted for doing this. It's amazing regarding their perception they are in the wilderness, while I watch them drive up and down my road on my front porch.

I'm not against hunting, but find it ridiculous that they hunt here. Shooting a deer in my canyon is like shooting deer at Yosemite. They are all just hanging out eating grass as you walk by. No sport in that.

herzalot, Cyclotourist, Andy and 4 others like this.
  20. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
  21. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    Related. While riding the luge on saturday my buddy and I ran into two hunters at the flag. We were a bit suspicious as we didn't know of any hunting areas within a reasonable walking distance. It looked like one of them was carrying a 270 rifle and the other possibly .303. Either are awefully powerful rounds to be letting off anywhere that is within reasonable waking distance from the top of the luge.

It lead into a large debate on if it was legal for these guys to be up here. So... is it?

Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

My own 2 cents. That many guys with rifles is pretty scary. I'm more of the "shotgun only" opinion. The range is much shorter, and the skill level has to be a lot higher. It was also the only weapon allowed for deer hunting where I grew up, even though it was an extremely rural area.

From the forest service:

No Hunting within 150 yards of any occupied dwelling house, residence, other building, any barn or outbuilding used in connection therewith. The 150 yard area is a Safety Zone.

No Hunting within 150 yards of campgrounds, trails, fire stations, any national forest building, across any body of water, off-highway vehicle areas, and private property within the boundary of the Forest (unless the hunter has the permission of the property owner). Rifle, firearm, or crossbow hunting is not allowed at any time within the Laguna Mountain Recreation Area (only archery hunting during season).

National Forest lands are often surrounded and intertwined with private land. Please be careful to ensure you are on National Forest lands during your hunting activities. Information on where you can hunt and trails you can use to enter remote areas of the forest can be obtained from your nearest Forest Service office.

Game.jpg

23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Not too many hunter vehicles seen Sunday in CNF. Maybe 3 along Main Divide between Holy Jim and Upper Joplin. No hunters seen; maybe they saw me...

Always good to share open space with those who respect and appreciate it. The hunting crowd is alright with me. Just passed through opening deer/elk bow season in CO. Talk about skill. Shooting a bear or mountain lion your dogs treed is super weak sauce, but as long as regs are being followed I'll look the other way. They might think MTB is stupid, too.

Yo, hunters: I saw two deer yesterday. Wanna know where? Hehe...go look for em...

24. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Safe to wear my camo shorts again then...?

Mikie likes this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I saw three hunters with rifles today. I was wearing my orange jersey. :thumbsup:

kioti and Mikie like this.
  26. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Today's the end AFAIK. Yesterday saw a bunch of hunters at the Blue Jay Campground. Also, saw three deer on the way to the parking area; hope they stayed in a safe place.

herzalot, mike, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  27. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'll be glad when the season is closed so I can get back out on Golden Eagle and access the trash damage.

mike and mtnbikej like this.
  28. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I've gotten used to my neon green jersey, it's simple and matches the detailing on my friend's Ripley. Form following function?

herzalot, mike and Mikie like this.
  29. gunga din

gunga din Member

Name:
    steve villmer
    better drop those bar ends . might look like a spike

herzalot, mike and Mikie like this.
  30. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Just looked on Google for Mountain Bikers shot by hunters. Didn't show any stories on it. They must not like the way we taste. Quit worrying and go ride your bike .

Faust29, mike and Mikie like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?