Debonair can

Discussion in 'Rear Shocks' started by Tom the Bomb, Jul 14, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    I had not been satisfied with my Rock shock . My WFO has a very progressive bike park feel which is good for jumping but not so good for the baby head stutter bump square edged hits. Did some research on the Debonair can . Pulled the trigger and installed it. Awesome!

Grego, DangerDirtyD, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    The Debonair is a bigger can right? Don't big guys like us usually need smaller air volumes (thus our use of internal spacers and volume reducers)?

Glad to hear it's da bomb! It's fun when we make a part we already own perform significantly better! :thumbsup:

3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I have a few friends who swear by them. Higher/finer adjustability from this shock is what they say.

herzalot likes this.
  4. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    The can should make it more linear. Maybe it makes it more tuneable also.
    I dunno, everyone has a different way of going about making their ride feel they way they like it.
    Glad it worked!

herzalot and SnakeCharmer like this.
  5. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    Sorta, the Debonair is a larger negative air chamber which lowers the force needed to begin shock movement, ie. better small bump compliance. But since you need more positive air pressure to retain your previous Sag, the progressiveness of the positive chamber increases faster and you have much better mid to end-stroke support.

scottay, DangerDirtyD and herzalot like this.
  6. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    Hi my name is Jaime and I'm new to this thread. I have a rockshox monarch plus rc3 debonair and I love it, just serviced a month ago and added 4 volume spacers. Thank you.

Danimal and herzalot like this.
  7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Does a debonair can wear a top hat and tux? Or does it just work on shocks?

herzalot likes this.
  8. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    My Troy came with a Monarch R instead of the RT3 Debonair as advertised. I was around 240 when I got the frame and bottomed out the shock all the time with the max air pressure at 275 lbs.

I invested in the Debonair RT3 with the max air pressure of 350 lbs and found it to be a much better ride and more tunable for my liking. I ran it at 300 lbs and never bottomed it out.

herzalot likes this.
  9. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    Sounds like you needed the shock tuned for your weight, it might have been cheaper than a RT3 with a heavier dutier air-can.

Danmtchl likes this.
  10. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I thought about it and decided to buy the Debonair and if I didn't like it, I'd have one to send in while still being able to ride. Plus I got it for cost.

herzalot likes this.
  11. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    With Debonair, the positive chamber volume isn't increased, but the pressure you run is increased, since there's less resistance in the early stroke to get to sag. This higher pressure stiffens the mid and end stroke, while the Debonair adds potency to negative air chamber to work against the stiffer spring rate in the early stroke.

Making a shock more progressive actually makes the mid stroke *softer*, especially if you tune your spring rate according to how much you bottom out (within the accepted sag range for the frame). So if you had a non-debonair and were stuffing volume reducing items in there, you may have actually been making your bike blow through its travel past sag and feeling the stiff contrasting wall of the end stroke ramp. The WFO9's already a very progressive bike.

Rockshox tend to comes with a much more damped "Open" setting, than other brands. They say that they have a "more useful open setting", in comparison to Fox's Open/Descend, but they're insinuating that it's because Fox lacked support in that mode. Fox now stuffed two pistons in a tiny shock space, leaving even less volume for oil. It's no wonder that having a sleeve over the air can, which the air piston seal is gliding against, is causing overheating issues for them. Speaking of overheating, it's also a particular issue for twin tube shocks like the CCDB IL, hence why they are forced to run more oil volume, while a Fox DPS somehow manages comparably among the 3.

------

In other words, the DebonAir swap made your shock's early stroke softer. If Dan used his prior pressure of 275 psi, he would've sagged deeper, and undoubtedly would have had a similar rate of bottom out. By increasing pressure, he brought sag back to a range acceptable for his frame (ex. for proper ride height) with DebonAir, and gained increased support in the mid and end stroke through the increased spring rate from higher pressure alone. So basically, he stiffened his spring rate and made it more linear, but ensured the early stroke was still supple, and called it better.

herzalot likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?