Death Valley

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by rossage, Jan 1, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Going to Death Valley, January 9 thru-12. Itinerary below. Expect long days in the saddle on questionable roads with loose sand and ubiquitous winds. :shock: Sound like fun?

Trying to set things up like this:

Jan 9, Thurs; pre-dawn departure for a 5-6 hour drive. We will be setting up base camp at the Mesquite Springs campground in northern Death Valley. Water and pit toilets last time I was there. This campground is not close to any stores and expect no cell phone coverage.
    After setting up camp, an afternoon ride to check out the Ubehebe crater system. 12-14 mile easy.

Jan 10th, Friday;Titus Cyn out and back to Red Pass. 35 miles, 4000 ft climbing. Not so easy. Possibly the most scenic "bang for the buck" ride of the trip. Fantastic geologic formations, the narrowing and deepening of the canyon, and the ever-changing light and sky make this a must do ride!

I will switch the Titus Cyn ride to Saturday, the 11th, if there is enough interest from those who can only make one ride...

Jan 11th, Saturday; The Racetrack. Expect an early start from the Ubehebe parking lot. 27 miles one way to the playa where the stones move. 27 miles back. About 3000 elevation gain, but because the wind moves the stones, it may be in our faces :'(!

Jan 12th, Sunday; You still want to ride? I'm sure we can come up with something...a neglected old mining camp, a ghost town, or some geologic wonder. Maybe all three! :eek:

2. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Sounds CRAZY awesome! I'll be in the Bahamas!

3. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Sorry Ross my bed sounds way more comfy. Actually Doug's outing sounds much more appealing to me. :) Bahamas sounds like snorkel gear is in order. Have fun , both you guys.

4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I can sleep anywhere! Aint nothing like being in death valley. Enjoy the snorkel :eek:

The Titus cyn ride has been moved to Saturday. That makes the Racetrack on Friday.
    9am at the junction of scottys castle road and the titus cyn road.

5. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    This ride is still on. If you like adventure cycling with an emphasis on geology, and human history, get your ass out there!
    Check out the DV 2 thread on the OTB site.

6. Willi-D

Willi-D Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Super Red!
    Ross how waas it?! I totally wanted to do this ride but bad time for me to take any days off.

7. Rob S.

Rob S. Member

Name:
    Rob Skinner
    Pictures!

8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    It was awesome! Couple short rides and the big ones-the Racetrack and Titus Cyn. Photos coming soon. :D

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?