Dash does Holy Jim

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by BonsaiNut, Oct 18, 2016.

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Took my fast female out for her first run on Holy Jim today. I knew she was fast, but I didn't realize how fast. Had her packing water on the way up and FORCED her to stop twice so I could water her. Dumped the water at Main Divide and she ran the rest of the way back with an empty pack. Ran past four bikers on the way up. She was a little nervous by the first one, but the rest were a breeze. Ran past five bikers and five hikers on the way down and she didn't bat an eye. Oh - on the way up she led, on the way down I led but the cheater kept trying to jump in front of me by taking the inside line on the switchbacks.

dash1.jpg
    dash2.jpg
    dash3.jpg

Oaken, bvader, Luis and 21 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    That's friggin' awesome! Great dog... :thumbsup::inlove:

pperrelle, Mikie and BonsaiNut like this.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Very coolio!

BonsaiNut and pperrelle like this.
  4. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    x2!

BonsaiNut and pperrelle like this.
  5. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    Go Pro fottage would be great for your, and our entertainment! Christmas is around the corner.

BonsaiNut likes this.
  6. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I run with her 6 miles every week, so I knew she could do the distance and she completely ignores other runners or hikers. This was just her first time around bikes and bikers and I wanted to make sure she didn't freak out. She is really fast but she is also very willful. I have her trained to "go ahead" and "go behind", but unlike my other dogs she REALLY doesn't like to stay behind while running and it was the same thing on the bike. She kept crowding me, LOL. I finally wore her out when we got below the trail to the falls... she just couldn't stay up with long straights and my speed. Mind you, I wasn't going 100% even through the switchbacks (more like 80% my normal pace) but I had to slow down a little bit here and there to allow her to catch up.

When she got back to the car she was toast!! I finally had a peaceful afternoon at the house without her begging me to do something!

pperrelle, mike, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Exemplary owner gives gift to pet – bravo, BN.

Tell me we don't feel like that after a good "run." :thumbsup:

pperrelle and BonsaiNut like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    I've always told my wife I'm a labrador retriever. Throw a stick in the lake and let me chase it on a regular basis, and I will be loyal, loving and happy!

mike, BonsaiNut and pperrelle like this.
  9. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Took her out just now and we ran our normal six mile route on Aliso Crest Trail. It was a hot one, but the visibility is insane. I could see San Clemente Island clear as day.

If you want to bike with your dogs, just one thing to be cautious about. Make sure their pads are conditioned (the bottom of their feet). They might be able to run the distance but they will tear up their feet if you haven't already had them out running fire road / gravel before. Most dogs around here are "city dogs" who spend most of their day lounging around on carpeting or grass or concrete. My dogs will run till their feet bleed if I let them, and then it takes them a long time to heal. I tried sled dog booties but they wear them out too fast. Best thing is to just gradually build up their conditioning.

Reminds me of growing up in the Midwest - first day of summer you would go outside barefoot and everything hurt - every acorn, every stone. By the end of the summer your feet were all calloused and you could run down a gravel road without a care in the world :)

herzalot, mike and littlewave like this.