Cyclotourist and the BP Adventure...

Discussion in 'Health' started by Cyclotourist, Dec 23, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    50753126866_35f28440de_c.jpg

Spent the afternoon in the Kaiser Fontucky ER. I started having chest pains Sunday night. Not bad, but something there. Wait and monitor says me, pulled muscle or something similar. Kind of got worse at night when I was just laying down and had to think on it. Got better, but then occasionally could really feel it in my arm, which then sometimes felt numb-ish, then sometimes in my neck, then sometimes in my abdomen. But the rest of the time I felt great! This morning was more of the same, so it wasn't going away. Called advice nurse... yep, go to ER.

That was an entirely painless experience with hardly anyone there. All the staff were nice and polite and acted like they kind of liked working there. The COVID tent outside looked miserable though. A lot of unhappy looking people sitting around in wheelchairs. Everything non-COVID went inside. There were on average six people in the entire room at any given time, so pretty slow and casual inside. Lab work and x-ray. Two vitals taken. First was crazy high blood pressure. Second one later on was still high, but not heart gonna' explode high. Labs were good, and x-ray was good, so they sent me home and told me to call my doctor in the morning.

So here I am, hooray! Never in my life had high BP, and in fact prided myself on having relatively low BP and resting heart rate. Ravages of time I guess. Thanks @rossage and the others that have shared their medical info and cardiac situations here. It got me out the door and into the ER!

Probably not a lot of riding till I can see my Dr. and figure out what's going on. Low salt, lots of water, see what happens next!

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Oh my...

Mikie, mtnbikej, Tom the Bomb and 2 others like this.
  3. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Good on you @Cyclotourist for not being a stubborn bastard and getting yourself checked out...:thumbsup:

Mikie, mtnbikej, Grego and 6 others like this.
  4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I've been feeling crappy most of this year and it's shown in my riding performance. It's like a switch flipped in me. I'm currently wearing a doctor ordered heart monitor until just after the New Year.

I hope things turn out well for you David.

5. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Did I mention you're all invited to my 50th birthday ride that had to be postponed till next year???
    Hopefully beer and tacos will be an integral part of it, but if not, atenolol and simvastatin for everyone!!!

6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    We're holding you to that one...

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Oooof! :thumbsdown: Good for you for going in and acting upon your symptoms. I hope you can gain a quick and complete recovery and be out there Rossing it in no time! :thumbsup:

8. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I'll bring the Lisinopril and Enalapril.

9. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Shaping up to be quite a party!

10. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    I had extremely high BP a couple years ago. Managed to bring it down to normal just by changing my diet. Amazing what eating right does. No more fast food, deli meats, pizza, or anything you put in the microwave.:stop: Ended up dropping 15 lbs too. YMMV. Hope all goes well.

11. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    That's cool that you could get it down with lifestyle changes... hopefully this is an easy fix for me!

12. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
  13. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @Cyclotourist wishing you find life changing remedies to keep you around much longer. Like @Grego mentioned about diet, it really is the KEY factor. Organic Non-GMO clean foods for the win. The more pure and untouched the better.

And, when you have that party I'll bring the boring organic bowls, uh I mean dishes:D

14. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Low sodium bowls, please!

15. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Buuuuuudy!
    Take care of yourself. If’n yah need anything....Hollah!

16. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Phone appt w/ a Dr. this a.m. Started me out on Lasix to see how that does. It's a basic diuretic, so they're going to try dehydrating me to see if I turn into yummy jerky. Or just a jerk, who knows.
    BP down to 125/78 from a high of 163/111 yesterday. I feel better, but still have a headache.
    Perfect riding weather today :-/

DangerDirtyD, tick, Stkx66 and 10 others like this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    MUCH better BP - Phew!

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  18. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Lasix 25mg not doing much, so I bumped it up to 50mg. According to the internet, 80mg is a regular dose. What could go wrong?
    Either way, it's really not having an impact on my bp. Stuck at around 120/78 and not a bit lower. Sucks as I'm kind of incapacitated and generally feeling like Sh!t. I've read the local paper, LA Times, and NY Times and officially bored. I have a phone appt. with my GP on Monday, so guess it's going to suck until then :-/

upload_2020-12-26_15-54-5.png

doublewide, Voodoo Tom, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  19. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    David, what was you normal BP range before this happened?

As @Grego has stated, I am learning that diet plays a part in my BP and anxiety. I just ate some apple pie and ice cream and now my heart is racing/pounding and I want to jump out of my skin.

Are they asking you to drink more water/fluids while you are taking Lasix?

Did they take an EKG or the like while you were there in the ER?

Voodoo Tom, Mikie, Grego and 2 others like this.
  20. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Not all medications work for everyone. My first BP medicine left me feeling like crap, especially after riding. My cardiologist insisted I keep talking it. I'm guessing for the $$$ he was receiving. Enter new cardiologist and new BP meds. Perfect BP (for me) with zero side effects.

Voodoo Tom, Mikie, Grego and 2 others like this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Depending on the meds, sometimes they take a little bit for your body to adjust.

You 12/24 evening and 12/25 morning look good compared to all the others.....I know on my 50mg of Losartan that is where my BP sits most of the time. I only take mine once a day, just before bed. We found this worked better than taking it in the morning.

I also got scalded from my Dr. when I decided that I was only gonna take half the prescribed dosage. We've tried a few different meds and the current one seems to be working the best.

And yes, as others have mentioned, diet is a huge contributor.....as is dehydration.

xhuskr, Voodoo Tom, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  22. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    And some are flat out dangerous for others. For example, the first BP med my doctor gave me was the type that increased magnesium. Well, my magnesium level increased high enough that it could cause a heart attack so I was promptly taken off that one! :eek:

The one that I have been on for years now is the calcium blocker type.

Voodoo Tom, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  23. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Up until this thing, my regular BP was always around 120-111/70-64. On the lower than average. So these elevated pressures are WAY higher and they are effing me up.
    Lasix isn't really a beta blocker or similar BP medicine, just a diuretic... I think they tried that just to see how it went.
    When I have my appt Monday, I'll mention something that works with exercise... the worst part of this is really not being able to get out of the house!

I've cut down calories as well as sodium the last few days. That hasn't really mattered much.

24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Your body has to detox a little bit.

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  25. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Good point. In hindsight, I ate a lot of cured meats, olives, cheeses... I'm an antipasta sort of a guy! And love chips and salss/dip.
    I'm hoping that just cutting chips & cured meats out should drop a LOT of sodium.

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  26. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Even if you've already found the winning formula for feeling better, it could take a bit of time before you feel "normal". Kudos for making some lifestyle changes.

Oops, this is along the lines of what Jason already said.

Mikie, scan, mtnbikej and 1 other person like this.
  27. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Last year my GP said I had high BP.
    Might be due to the lab coat (that is a thing).
    Had me start measuring at home.
    Brought him a month of data. Generally high.
    Like 135-145 over 80-90.
    He said that is what he normally gets patients to with meds, so no meds for me yet. Did say to improve diet, which does suck.
    Because he changed his practice, I no longer have a GP.
    Need to find a new one and work on a few things.
    Because of other issues I still have 2 dermatologists and 2 orthopedaedists.

Stkx66, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 5 others like this.
  28. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    If I felt "normal" it would probably be okay, but normal is not what I feel! I ended up having more calories/sodium tonight than I was planning on...

Mikie, Rumpled and mtnbikej like this.
  29. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Ed, what was the one that didn't work well as well as the one that did? Everyone's physiology is different, but that may be something I can throw into the conversation with my Doc.

Stkx66, UPSed and Mikie like this.
  30. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Something often overlooked is the amount of stress that you may be under. Are you able to alleviate it? Ways to lessen it. Just a thought if it's even an issue.

Mikie, mtnbikej and Cyclotourist like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?