Cyclist killed in Dana Point

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtbfan, Feb 1, 2023.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    a car was turning left on an arrow. It was still in the intersection when the speeding bullet jams into the intersection. The cyclist was next to a van and was barely moving when the bullet hits him. What a dick. I am sure the driver has done many dipity do's at intersections before. His car was a wreck, he decides to stab him. Hopefully he can dodge better in the prison showers

2. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    May have charged someone out-of-network prices at an in-network hospital. I could see seething anger for that.

My heart truly goes out to victims family, so sudden and brutal. The suspect was willing to do the time in exchange for this act, so my gut says there is something behind it.

3. akmoney

akmoney Member

Name:
    Andrew
    For what it's worth, it's now against the law in CA for someone to get a surprise out of network bill when a procedure is performed at an in-network facility, whether it's emergency or not. I had to go through this a year ago. It was a frustrating experience setting things straight but I was hardly seethed enough to want to kill my doctor over it...

4. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    You're probably a reasonable person, the driver obviously isn't.

5. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    That is good to know! Our daughter had a recent hospital stay in December and they sprung an OON pediatric doctor visit on us an an in-network facility. My wife is handling it, she is good at that stuff!

6. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    This is the freeze frame from the video. The bike is perpendicular to the car. Middle car approaches the intersection with the biker in the crosswalk. Am I blind?

Screenshot_20230203-215308.png

Old&InTheWay likes this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    So maybe the bike went past, then the Lexus turns right and jams him from behind? I dunno. Didn't want to watch the video.

8. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Your freeze frame captures the moment of impact. The artifact in the lower right of your picture is actually a street sign on Crown Valley not the cyclist. The cyclist is still and next to the van and in the bike lane prior to impact. Note, the bike lane is to the left of the right turn lane. Additionally, you are looking at ABC's rebroadcast of the video from NextDoor. The original video is much better quality.

Sidewalk, herzalot and Faust29 like this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I don't think you're blind. :thumbsup: See @TwoWheel Eric 's explanation...

I'll add that his last Strava entry had him traveling the same northerly direction on PCH after taking a leisurely spin around the harbor in Dana Point. :(

Sidewalk and TwoWheel Eric like this.
  10. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    After I posted last night they replayed the video on KCAL and shows the exact picture . The artifact in the lower right is not the cyclist, the cyclist is in the crosswalk. It's pretty clear on the video. Pic I posted is a blown up screen shot from my phone, giving it a not so clear image.

TwoWheel Eric likes this.
  11. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    The world’s gone mad, not all but more than I can ever remember. So many aggressive people out there, especially on the roads. I’ve gotten mad at myself for getting angry and flipping the bird saying not worth it, couldn’t imagine hitting someone and then continuing to do what this monster did.

I genuinely fear for my family now, really looking hard at getting out of here and it’s not due to finances.

12. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    KABC has the video and it is sick.

Sasquatch9billion likes this.
  13. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Name:
    Titus
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower LT
    Such an incredibly sad story. I don't have intel about this case, but based on workplace violence research it's unlikely the loser/killer in this case was holding a grudge against the physician. Those cases certainly do occur, but usually at the place of the perceived injustice (hospital) or the victim's home. The attacks occur most frequently during transitions, like getting out of the car, leaving the office, etc. This case may be an outlier and there was some kind of prior relationship, but is likely a case of wrong place/time for the victim. In this case if the killer knew the victim, he had much easier ways of committing the crime than following him in a car and then using a knife. I drive to trails 95% of the time even though I'm only a couple of miles from a few trails because I feel too vulnerable around drivers who are not paying attention and idiots who are out looking for a fight. Everyone stay safe, and keep in mind there are lots of people on the road with nothing to lose.

14. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Unless there is an update, I haven't heard confirmation about the shouting or knife. The media keeps repeating that, but the police didn't confirm it. Baring in kind that when my brother died the media used "witness testimony" (a shady neighbor) and just used his story as truth, making our family look bad.

It is a daily occurrence for me to see someone use a bike lane to shortcut passed people in traffic. In most cases, the people drive for a good half mile before turning right, but I see people multiple times a week so that and then continue straight and cut off cars, sometimes even running a red light to do so.

I still daily commute, it's less stressful than driving (and cheaper). One of these days it'll kill me, oh well.

Danimal, bvader, Obsidian and 4 others like this.
  15. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    IMO this wasn't a case of a driver recklessly driving in the bike lane, it was clearly intentional ramming of the bike.

Some quotes from OC Register:
    After driving into Mammone with his car, Smith got out of the vehicle and stabbed the bicyclist, authorities said in a news release.

The knife was “large” and ‘long,” Sheriff’s spokesman Michael Woodroof said. A witness described it as a machete.

The knife believed to be used in the stabbing was recovered at the scene, the release said. Woodroof said authorities also seized a BB gun, though it was not clear if shots were fired.

Regarding the alleged shouting by the killer, ABC News interviewed a witness that confirmed it to them. Sheriff has not commented on this that I know of.
    Mammone loved everything outdoors, Trigueros said, but mostly biking and surfing.

“He was always trying to get all of us out on a bike,” he said. “It was freeing for him and it allowed him to be one with nature.”

Trigueros recounted a story where Mammone rode with another cyclist and they headed up a steep five-mile hill. When Mamone got to the top, he rode back down only to join his fellow cyclist on the ride back up, just to provide motivation.

“He was just universally loved,” Trigueros said. “I just aspire to be like him.”

Just so heinous...

16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I pulled up the OC court record as I still have some “search credits” remaining… He was officially charged with using a knife to commit the murder.

Nothing in the court record (yet) about the vehicular end of it…

17. MTBZen

MTBZen Member

Name:
    Gary
    Current Bike:
    2017 Trek Pro-Caliber 9.6
    The Long Beach man accused of running over and stabbing a beloved physician in Dana Point earlier this month confessed to the killing in a jailhouse interview Friday, Feb. 10, saying he has no regrets and was entitled to commit murder because he is both God and Jesus Christ.

In a rambling, hourlong conversation with a Southern California News Group reporter, Vanroy Evan Smith cited end-of-world scriptures from the Bible’s Book of Revelation and said that if the public knew he was the Messiah and the “king of kings,” they would think differently about him and his crime.

“I have killed,” Smith, 39, said during the interview at Orange County’s Intake Release Center in Santa Ana. “If they knew who I was, they would let me walk out of here. They would fulfill all my desires.”

Disneyland delays Toontown reopening dueto heavy winter storms that slowed construction
    Smith, who has pleaded not guilty to homicide charges in the death of Dr. Michael John Mammone, is being held in jail on $1 million bail.

The Orange County Sheriff’s Department said Mammone, 58, was riding his mountain bike in the bicycle lane on Pacific Coast Highway at Crown Valley Parkway when he was struck from behind by a white Lexus driven by Smith. The impact hurled the doctor into the air.

Smith then got out of his car and stabbed Mammone with a large, long knife, sheriff’s deputies said. Witnesses on cellphone video are heard describing it as a machete. One man directed others to find it in nearby bushes. Bystanders detained Smith until deputies arrived.

Mammone died after he was rushed to Providence Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo, one of the hospitals where he had served as an emergency medicine physician.

Smith, who denied in the jailhouse interview that he is mentally ill, said he awoke on the morning of Feb. 1 fully expecting to kill someone by the end of the day, adding that he has long been plagued by troubling “communications” from others and conflict because of his mixed-race heritage.

Smith said he placed a BB gun, intended to be used as a distractionary device, into his Lexus, and drove to a Long Beach area gun store, where he purchased the knife.

He also said he considered using a bow and arrow, but ultimately decided against it.

Smith recounted that after the knife purchase, he began driving around and felt compelled to run over Mammone and then stab him. “It was my right,” Smith said, adding that he feels no remorse for the killing. “He was in the crosswalk and presented himself.”

herzalot likes this.
  18. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Not mentally ill, but already playing that card.

Old&InTheWay, mtnbikej and Obsidian like this.
  19. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Reminds me of this:

20. DIRTJUNKIE

DIRTJUNKIE Member

Name:
    Jay
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer, Pro
    You can’t run from the madness, it’s everywhere now.

21. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Are you …sure about that?

herzalot likes this.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Yeah - not sure you can say that with any certainty. Pretty sure he has a history of 5150.

Rumpled likes this.
  23. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Apparently, that is what he said in the jailhouse interview.

Danimal likes this.
  24. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Name:
    Titus
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower LT
    Unfortunately these types of violence cases with God/Messiah complexes are not all that uncommon. He may be just putting on a performance for a plea, but Herz is probably correct regarding prior 5150s. As I said in a prior post, terrible case of wrong place/wrong time for the victim.

25. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
  26. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Armchair psychiatrist?? Sounds like he has visions of grandeur!

27. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
  28. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    The saga continues. Latest mentally ill mofo killed the aux. bishop a few blocks from my house recently. What is up with all this? More reporting? More copy cats? Same old chit, different day?

herzalot and Obsidian like this.
  29. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    24/7 news cycle. More reporting. SSDD.

Sidewalk, herzalot and Cornholio like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?