Crazy world...

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Faust29, Jul 2, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I guess racing is a little different in South Africa... o_O

Woman cyclist ambushed in popular mountain bike race

Attacked rider recovering in intensive care unit
    14 hours ago
    S03A2182.jpg

A RICHARDS Bay cyclist is still recovering in the intensive care unit at Netcare The Bay Hospital after she was attacked by two robbers while competing in the Bell Big 5 mountain bike race in Empangeni last week Sunday.

Soné Coleman sustained serious concussion and a broken pelvis in the assault by the two men, who absconded with her bike and cellphone.

Main sponsor of the event, Bell Equipment, has initiated an investigation into the incident.
    ‘What was in every respect a fantastic family event was marred by the unfortunate incident when one of the ladies in the 50km race was allegedly ambushed along the route, sustaining injuries and concussion.
    ‘Other riders and the Bell support helicopter were soon on hand and able to transport her to receive medical attention.

‘With the assistance of the local community, the missing property have been recovered.
    ‘Both the organisers and sponsors are saddened by this isolated event, and wish her a speedy recovery.
    ‘A thorough investigation by the authorities now needs to take its course and it is hoped that the outcome of this will send a clear message, and act as a deterrent, to those who wish to prey on those involved in community events.’

Fellow MTB riders also sent their best wishes for Coleman’s recovery.
    ‘This was a very unfortunate incident and the organisers spent many days putting together an otherwise superb event,’ said Piet Calitz.
    ‘Owing to the nature of mountain biking there is always risk at any event that someone could be mugged or otherwise injured.

‘This event was well managed with plenty marshals en route, and since I was at the scene moments after it happened, I am aware that there was speedy backup from the Bell helicopter as well as a roaming motorbike, and, of course, fellow riders who rallied around to support her.

‘Fortunately these incidents are few and far between and we can only hope that it stays that way.’
    Fellow rider Simon Griffith added that riding in groups in upcoming races would hopefully deter opportunists from launching attacks on female cyclists.

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    WTF...

Desperate people do horrible things, and horrible people do horrible things. Wonder which this was. Either way - sucks!

Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Course hazards are no joke down there. Scumbags...

Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Hope she heals up fast. Good thing it wasn't a lion attack!