Crashed on first time jump

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by verdugist, Oct 3, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Top of Verdugo peak today there are a couple of jumps. Tried one (about 3-3.5 ft high) but probably not fast enough. Went over the lip and front wheel straight down as I recall. Crashed pretty damn hard with cuts on right hand (still burns), cuts on left knee, cuts on left elbow. Might have landed on my head too, it's all a blur though.

And of course, to top it all off, had to immediately go fix a front flat to descend soon thereafter.

TGIF.

btw, I also saw a single track downhill near where I crashed with multiple tall jumps in a row. I supposed jumping is an advanced skill, the Lopes book had a full chapter on this and I read it but I've decided jumping is not for me.

Thanks for listening (and probably laughing as I'm sure the crash looked totally unprofessional). But I'm just happy I didn't break any bones.

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

IMG_0865.JPG

IMG_0866.JPG

IMG_0862.JPG

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Those kickers look pretty serious. Heal quickly.

Mikie and GregMiester like this.
  3. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    2014 Giant XTC Advanced 2
    Wow, those jumps look unforgiving. Reading a how-to book isn't a bad idea but I'd say working your way towards it (on the bike) is a good idea as well. We've all been there man, heal up and give it another go sometime, with proper provisions of course!

Mikie likes this.
  4. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Ouch dude. Glad you're not seriously hurt. Those jumps off whitting woods fire road are nasty.

Mikie likes this.
  5. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    So all the landings are flat?

That DH jump line actually looks easier than the one you claimed to jump (3 to 3.5 pinkbike feet?).

Jumping is kind of like swimming, considering how there's just some who go so long without learning it. It's something you probably should've progressed from an easy starting point, but I guess some people can learn from just being thrown in the deep end. Have you even gotten proficient with jumping without a ramp, bunnyhopping? Next would be speed bumps or even ramps in the curbs/sidewalks. Then you can start propping up ramps onto progressively taller stuff.

Mikie likes this.
  6. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla

Whiting woods is the steepest fire road in the Verdugos. Not me on the video but a friend.

Grego and Mikie like this.
  7. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Unless you were riding the ridge down toward La Tuna

Mikie likes this.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Like most said here, You need to build up to those kind of jumps. Props for trying...
    Heal fast!

Is that your wheel in the pic? Mountain bikers typically pull the spoke reflectors. Kinda the, "Friends don't let friend ride their bikes with spoke reflectors kinda thing?";)

Just sayin'

9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Speedy healing.

Buy some knee and elbow pads.

Mikie likes this.
  10. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Yikes that's a bit "lippy". Heal quickly man.

Mikie, doublewide and GregMiester like this.
  11. verdugist

verdugist Guest

So at 4:30 there is a MONSTER ramp. Damn. Thanks for sharing, I've not seen 90% of that single-track until now as I've only ridden WW twice so far. Both times recollect heavy load on my wrists due to the severe grade.

Was that Hawg from mtbr by any chance? He told me he rode a red Pivot bike.

Mikie likes this.
  12. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Thanks, I bought the Fox knee pads already.

Mikie likes this.
  13. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Yep that's my wheel. I never thought to remove the reflectors, that's the least of my concerns currently but thanks for heads up. I guess it's "extra dork" to have them on?

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  14. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    That's a specialized Enduro and his name is Ed

Mikie likes this.
  15. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Not sure what the ridge is. If it's single track, that's not it, I typically ride fire roads only. That jump or dirt ramp or whatever they're called is at the top of Hostetter (make a right and go about 0.25-0.5 miles and it's on the left).

Mikie likes this.
  16. verdugist

verdugist Guest

The DH jump line pic resolution seems poor unfortunately. IIRC, at least one of those jumps was much higher than 3 feet. It looked very intimidating to me.

So the issue is twofold here (sometimes you learn the hard way). My risk analysis was extremely faulty in this case.

1) I've never jump a ramp before on a mtn bike.
    2) I didn't have any protective gear other than my helmet.
    3) I continued to "roam" around at peak for a while after I fixed the flat instead of immediately descending.

And I still haven't been able to test full range of motion in my knee due to general tightness/soreness. Feels like somebody jackhammered my patella. I was down for a good 60-120 secs. And of course, the bike I think fell on me and the frame apparently landed full force on my right thigh so that muscle is sore. But whatever, as long as I can still walk I think it's ok.

That ramp at 4:30 is animal. I think I'm fine with just the exercise and nature aspect and keeping 2 tires on the ground always.

17. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Ok, Hawg told me he rode @ 31.3 mph down WW. He said he knows every trail in Verdugos forward/backward. He said Verdugos is very flat in comparison to San Gabriels. Your friend Ed is riding in excess of 25 mph I'd guess.

18. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    The thing is about finding the rhythm in the trail. The DH ones looks like you can just smoothly coast into them and find a forgiving downsloped landing, while the one you tried looks pretty fast, with a bend in the trail.

19. verdugist

verdugist Guest

This one sounds absolutely brutal, damn.

And in fact, the first crash I had several weeks ago had the same root cause, hikers on the right side coming up as I descended. Threw me off as well.

And my crashes seem to be getting more painful as they come. I need to rack up some solid Karma points.

My Mountain Bike Runtastic app shows 52 sessions this summer. I've crashed 3 times. So that's ~6% crash rate. What is your crash rate?

Mikie likes this.
  20. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Zero while actually moving. I only crash at a dead standstill. Faust can confirm that.

ridinrox, Mikie and GregMiester like this.
  21. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I have no recollection of that... What happens on the trail, stays on the trail. Guy code 101... :thumbsup:

22. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Rules:

1) Don't charge blind corners.
    2) SLOW DOWN when there are hikers/oncoming bikers/wild life present.
    3) Ride WITHIN your ability when there are others present.

23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

DING.....DING.....DING.....@!!!!!!!!!

We have a winner, winner, chicken dinner......

Follow the rules above and you should have problems. :thumbsup:

Runs with Scissors, MCB2K and Mikie like this.
  24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Having broken bones on rides....I refuse to watch videos where it happens to others. So you will get no "Like' from me on this one.

GregMiester, herzalot and MCB2K like this.
  25. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    ^^^Huh.... It's really tough for me as well to watch vids of mountain bikers getting hurt, especially this one from the description. I chose not to watch it knowing how it feels breaking lots of bones (sometimes all at once :sick:).

herzalot and mtnbikej like this.
  26. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Sorry for posting I guess. How do you know if you broke something? I had swelling that has gone away after 2 days with lots of icing. But it was painful to walk up the steps at work. I guess I need an x-ray to be safe.

Mikie likes this.
  27. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Skiing taught me that I am meant to be a ground-based moving object. In mtbing, my problems have come not some much when my wheels are disconnected from the ground, but when my ass is making an arc from the saddle towards the handlebars. :gag:

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  28. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    If you don't know about pain and trouble, you're in sad shape. They make you appreciate life.
    Evel Knievel

At_Home_With_Evel_Knievel.jpg

Faust29, UPSed, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  29. verdugist

verdugist Guest

So before I thought motorcyclists were crazy but at least they have consistent terrain and no jumping. Mtn biking is worse apparently depending on what you're doing and your skill level. Although motorcycles attain much higher top speeds which is more dangerous I guess.

Mikie likes this.
  30. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    The jump doesn't hurt you, it's the uncontrolled landing that does. :oops: