Coronavirus. Not to be confused with Norcovirus.

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by BonsaiNut, Mar 5, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

This is truly mind boggling! Everything being shut down! I give it two weeks before school is out! And as far as overwhelming the heath care system its probably better to get this virus sooner than later. This will most likely be devastating for the homeless population! Just about everyone will get this virus, take care of yourselves!

2. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    An interesting aspect to me is there may be two strains. Chinese scientists hypothesized a relatively mild one and a much more virulent variety. Reminds me of the cow pox/small pox situation a few years ago - look up Edward Jenner who developed vaccination before anyone knew about germs.

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  3. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    They just postponed Round 1 of UCI and EWS!
    FuckingFuckityFucks!

BRB got to go buy toilet paper...:poop:

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  4. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I have a new side hustle. How many bags would you like?

IMG_0055.1.jpg

5. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I just turn the sound down so I can stare at the weather girls without all the hype.:thumbsup:

6. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Call it a panicdemic. Who needs a pandemic when you can cause more economic harm than if the disease actually occurred?

Has anyone noticed China isn't reporting any new cases... and their active cases have dropped to fewer than 20,000? Total population of China who has gotten the virus (to date) .006%

Population density of China 145 people per sq kilometer. Population density of US 36 people per sq kilometer.

Who knows? At this point all anyone can do is watch from the sidelines as the panic spreads exponentially faster than the virus. Trump's helpful travel ban basically caused an instant 10% hit to the European stock market - which has now bounced back to the US with stocks down 8% at the open - from all the European markets dumping their US holdings. Crazy.

7. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Someone asked my opinion yesterday. My response was:

"I think we should treat it like the regular flu, which people don't take serious enough."

I don't think there is any need to panic (currently). But we have a very nonchalant attitude to the flu in this country. IT DOES kill a lot of people (I don't remember the number and don't feel like looking it up), yet people always claim that they have it (usually just a cold) and continue to go to work and do other activities, spreading it around.

Of course, the health care system, pay, and sick benefits SUCK in this country (thank you capitalism), so a lot of people either have no choice or feel an overwhelming amount of pressure to show up to work. I'm lucky enough that I can stay away from work when I get sick, so I do. I also only use sick days for when I am sick or an actual emergency.

Interesting enough, I got the flu a few days before my first ever Pro UCI race. I felt like absolute ass, and called off work for a full week to stay home and try to recover. I went to the race feeling okay, but struggled to make one lap of the race course and was disappointed when I learned I made the cutoff and had time for a second lap. I consider myself extremely healthy, but the flu (both times I remember having it in my life) knocks me on my ass hard. The time before this, when I was less healthy, there are several days I do not even remember, I was so sick. Compared to the cold, that is just minor annoying sniffling.

8. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Smartest thing I have read on this site... since the most recent e-bike thread :)

9. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Smartest? I must have copy/pasted...

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I don't need to read anything else. This solves everything. :eek:

11. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    I really don’t want to start a pointless back and forth here. But I don’t know if you are aware of the draconian steps the Chinese government has taken to contain the virus. 60 million hard quarantine plus millions more soft quarantine plus other measures at a huge financial and human toll. And we’re still not sure what the ultimate outcome will be.

And no, don’t just treat this like the common flu because it’s different. It’s very likely more transmittable and lethal. And there is a good chance you may not have access to appropriate treatment when the health care system is overwhelmed. So if you are in a vulnerable population or in regular contact with them, use social distancing as much as possible. That means stay away from Disney Land, bingo hall, theater, church, etc. As I said before, best estimates predict up to half the country will be infected. You should try your damnedest to be in the other half. What have you got to lose? A couple of months of inconvenience, boredom and some isolation, but potentially everything to gain.

I don’t want to come across as some Know-It-All, but if I can convince a couple of members here to exercise some extra caution and make a difference, it will be worth me looking like an as ass.

12. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    It’s getting so bad, this was on the Keysville Classic FB page

upload_2020-3-12_10-33-38.png

13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
  14. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    And so it begins (err, continues). My kid's school district is going to be closed on Monday and Tuesday so that teachers can prepare for "distance learning" in the likelihood of a more extended closure. I just went to the store to get lunch, and it looked like 5pm on the day before Thanksgiving.

15. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Drove by CostCo at 10 AM... and you couldn't get into the parking lot. Drove a quarter of a mile further to Stater Bros... and there was no one in the store. WTF, people!

Just bought a bunch of Netflix stock on the cheap. I see a ton of streaming entertainment revenue in their future.

16. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
  17. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    My wife is a teacher and there is no way that her district would do such a thing. How would the kids eat breakfast and lunch, free after school daycare. Plus most of the kids don’t have computers, but I am absolutely sure the kids have some sort of gaming device.

18. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Ha, well played!

19. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I can only make a short reply to this because I'm trying to prepare distance learning materials at this moment....

20. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    My wife is a teacher in a different district than my daughter attends, and there has been talk of the same there, though no prepratory shut down like in our local district. It does seem ill-advised. Not to keep referring to the podcast above like it's the COVID bible, but one salient point that the guy made was that nursing staff are going to be the most needed people during this, and a very large percentage of them (38% from memory) have school aged children. Shutting down schools to protect kids who are ultimately very low risk could effectively take a large number of nurses offline because they have to care for their kids who are out of school. Clusterphuckery at its finest.

21. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    We usually go to Costco on Thurs to get our berries for the week. We needed some paper towels as well. Went at 10:20 hoping the first wave of hoarders would be in the door and there might be a rebound window to get in. Not! Not only couldn't you park if you had to, you still couldn't get in the door as people were still lined up down the side of the building for some reason. Was able to get gas though. Saw a guy in a big, tall van filling large gas containers and stowing them away. Looked like gas hoarder or potential scalper to me.

Anyway, zipped across the street to Target and got the berries and a few other items. In and out in under 10 minutes.

22. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Closing schools is one of the most effective things that can be done to relieve pressure and slow the spread....

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/does-closing-schools-slow-spread-novel-coronavirus

23. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Except, you SHOULD do that when you have the flu. Stop spreading it around!

Treat the regular flu like this one, not the other way around. If we took this kind of stuff even SLIGHTLY more seriously, less people would be dead already, and this virus wouldn't be so bad. But people blow of the regular flu and go out in public and spread it around.

24. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I went to sprouts, got all my normal weekend shopping done and just a little extra, but not much.
    Maybe 10 people in the store at 9 am.

total wine was quick too. No booze hoarding going on apparantly.

25. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

My wife is also a teacher and pointed out this exact same thing, closing schools is complicated.

26. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

About the virus not aff
    As for the kids this is not something to be taken lightly, just because they may not get as sick or not at all does not mean that they won't contribute to it's spread. As already seen the best way is to shut everything down, still trying to wrap my head around this emergency!

27. Maderas84

Maderas84 Member

Name:
    Andres
    Current Bike:
    Ibis, Pivot & Santa Cruz
    If this were the 80s and 90s, this would not be happening. Blame the internet and social media (including news media).

If you're cash rich, buy assets now! I just put offers on a condo in Mammoth and a cabin in Big Bear. Right now is the time to use your cash to take advantage of the low interest rates and all the other deals put out there.

I was going to buy an LX570 for the wife last month but the dealer would not negotiate. I just received an email offering the vehicle for over 28k under MSRP with .9% for 60 months

28. Maderas84

Maderas84 Member

Name:
    Andres
    Current Bike:
    Ibis, Pivot & Santa Cruz
    All the vodka was gone at our local Vons and Rite-Aid. Apparently folks are making their own disinfectant/sanitizer.

29. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    A parent at my wife's school just tested positive today, so they've cancelled kids for tomorrow while they decide how to proceed. Even though my daughter's school is supposed to be open tomorrow her teacher had her students pack up all of their materials that usually stay at school and bring them home today, in case things change overnight. Guessing the teachers already have an inkling of an impending announcement.

30. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Which School?

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.