Coronavirus. Not to be confused with Norcovirus.

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by BonsaiNut, Mar 5, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I know three people, two of them died. One of those two who lost the battle was in his 40s and did not have underlying issues. He left behind a wife and kids.

Danimal, mtnbikej, fos'l and 3 others like this.
  2. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Uhhh....were still here. I'm just waiting for the rest of you who thought it was the plague and worth shutting down our economy to realize you at worst were lied to all along or at best got taken in by the hype and ridiculous numbers thrown out there.

Big Clyde and Faust29 like this.
  3. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Yeah, I'm waiting for the "capital generating human stock" to get back to work because my stocks are hurting!

herzalot, DangerDirtyD and Faust29 like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    @sir crashalot
    I know three personally... All in NY. And many, many more second hand stories from the NY nursing homes.

You're going to be waiting a long time.

herzalot, mtnbikej, fos'l and 5 others like this.
  5. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    I was associated until about six months ago with one of the first positives in OC. He got the virus on a trip to Italy, but recovered pretty quickly with no apparent side affects.

rossage and Faust29 like this.
  6. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I have a coworker that did, and his family, he just got back after time in the hospital. And a friend of a friend that survived some time on a ventilator.

but it’s just the flu, and anyone who wears a mask is a fraidy cat. It’s all made up for politics. Or Bill Gates wants to impregnate me with alien babies. Or something. It’s all fake, can I go to the beach yet?

herzalot, mtnbikej, fos'l and 4 others like this.
  7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Dude! Get it straight. The tracking device is in the vaccine. It's activated by the new 5G towers.
    And it makes you gay!
    If you keep repeating that Gates stuff, people are gonna think you're a conspiracy theory nutjob.

herzalot, mtnbikej, fos'l and 2 others like this.
  8. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Clearly Obama and Hillary planned this 4 years ago.

Those sneaky Dems play the long game

herzalot, mtnbikej, fos'l and 2 others like this.
  9. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Dude, get it straight! The tracking device has been in our air for decades. You're being tracked! :laugh:

fos'l and rossage like this.
  10. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I don’t think it’s fake. Ha, I live 2 blocks from the (narrow crowded Laguna) beach and I have no desire to go to there.

mtnbikej, fos'l and rossage like this.
  11. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    The tracking device has been willingly carried by most of us for years now.
    But I turned off the location widget so they can't see me.
    Right, Alexa?

herzalot and fos'l like this.
  12. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Strangely today I had a joint CoViD-19 IMTBTRAILS experience.

Went to a boat dealership to register my boat. While there I struck up a conversation with one of their head sales guys, who just happened to be from SoCal. Turns out he was from Mission Viejo, used to ride for Rock N Road Cyclery, and we spent a good half hour talking about mountain biking in CNF. Turns out he even likes to climb :) He's been off the bike for a couple of years, but when my bikes get here from SoCal I told him we were going out for a ride in Lake Norman State Park. Small world!

But the CoViD-19 part of the story is that he told me how busy they have been. Apparently boating is one of those few activities that you can partake in with your family while still maintaining social distancing, so they've been selling TONS of boats. Seems like anyone who has even been thinking about buying a boat has been coming in to take delivery on a boat and a trailer, and with tons of public access ramps and over 500 miles of shoreline, the lake has been swarming with new boat traffic. Such a strange time! I wonder if online mountain bike sales are strong. I'm assuming so!

pperrelle and Rumpled like this.
  13. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    A person who used to ride for a bike shop like Rock N Road was no simple weekend warrior, so it begs the question why he's been off the bike for a couple of years. I believe there are valid reasons, but I cannot fathom any.

Oaken and Rumpled like this.
  14. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Good work! You've beat the system!

sir crashalot and rossage like this.
  15. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Looks like your region is going to have a plethora of newer-used boats up for sale once this thing is over.

BonsaiNut, HBkites and scan like this.
  16. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    At our hospital we've had 141 positive since 3/1.

HBkites, mtnbikej and rossage like this.
  17. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    I didn't sense any sarcasm in your post........you are referring to kids right??

HBkites likes this.
  18. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Maybe for a weekend warrior, kids would derail bike rides...for years, I suppose, under extreme cases. But for someone who is actually good at riding and competitive? I suspect a burn-out. But still...years!?!? What happened?

HBkites and scan like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Surfing.

Or skiing or whitewater kayaking or a thousand other equally fun pursuits?

DangerDirtyD and scan like this.
  20. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    That’s so depressing.

scan likes this.
  21. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    1425 members with a pretty consistent participation of 124 members.

I know of one person at Northrop Grumman who has contracted CV-19 was quarantined and now back to work doing fine.

UPSed, tick, mtnbikej and 1 other person like this.
  22. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I think it was the move and the job, to be honest, though I didn't really ask. He was definitely out on the trails and familiar with everywhere we talked about. He even asked me about rides I might have been on, because he had some big group photos that he thought I might be in. I would guess he is about 50. His two kids went to high school in SoCal.

Fingers crossed... I don't know anyone, and no one in my extended family has been affected. The incidence rate in my county is 13 per 10,000 population, so the case rate is really low. But 9 people in my zip code tested positive, though they have all recovered (no deaths).

NC is doing a pretty good job, in my opinion, of tracking confirmed cases, testing and hospitalizations on the state, country and zip code level.

North Carolina tracking site

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  23. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    How about the contact tracing app. It appears the support is now built into the root operating system of Apple, with Google coming right behind.
    They ( apple and google) claim that you can keep it toggled off in settings ( the default setting) and a 3rd party app is needed for it to function.

So, is this contact something you are comfortable with? Tracking and reporting your location? For the greater good? For monetary gain for someone? For tossing your perceived privacy in the trash?

I've the understanding that its possibly being considered that you'll be required to have this tracing to board a plane, go into some offices etc.

Big Brother Is Here. But whatev' he's been here for years?

And yep, it worries me that this could be a possibility for the future, which is almost now.

herzalot, scan and Derkderkall like this.
  24. ndocpjf

ndocpjf Member

Name:
    Nick
    Current Bike:
    Giant Trance X
    We actually do have a few hepatitis vaccines (Hep A and B). Part of the issue with developing an AIDS vaccine is that it mutates very rapidly, and developing a vaccine to target one strain will quickly be ineffective against other strains. Last, for herpes, most of the population actually has the virus but it isn't a serious health concern (aside from a few strains) and doesn't present itself very often, so a vaccine isn't very necessary. I just learned about these things a few days ago so I thought I'd share! I have hopes for a coronavirus vaccine in the future.

MolarM, tick, BonsaiNut and 2 others like this.
  25. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Me too; thanks for the update. Some, like AIDS are "difficult" to acquire and like SARS & MERS didn't affect major populations (AFAIK), so it's understandable why there's no vaccine. Just wanted to point out (as had already been stated- probably) that a vaccine wasn't necessarily the "cure".

HBkites likes this.
  26. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Here's something to consider:

Only half of Americans will get Covid-19 vaccine if it is available

I suppose at some level, people think that if they don't get a vaccine they are only endangering themselves. However that is not how herd immunity works. There will always be people who can't get the vaccine - because they are immunosuppressed or elderly, so as long as there are some number of people who can still act as hosts, the virus will remain among us. Opinions differ on the vaccine rate needed to rid the country of the disease... however it sure isn't 50%.

HBkites likes this.
  27. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    If airlines want let unvaccinated passengers on the plane people will line up to get vaccine at the airport.

28. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    These days probably they won't let them in schools and lots of other places. However well vaccines work (when available) sure did a good job on Polio, a scourge of my youth.

herzalot likes this.
  29. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Have a conundrum. My wife’s elderly parents and aunt live nearby. For years theyve used the same housekeeper, Sonja, who came every other week for some light but necessary cleaning, helping with laundry and dishes, etc. (mom and aunt have memory problems, dad is sharp but handicapped) we cancelled her appointments since beginning of April for the stay at home order to keep them safe. We’ve helped out some during the lockdown but we also are staying away as much as possible as we are also a risk going over there since I was still working part time and have been in stores to shop for them so we let it slide (besides we are absolutely terrible at that kind of stuff, can’t even keep our own house clean). Now their homes are a disaster and wife and I are both back at work (retail) so we’re probly just as risky as Sonja, and she does a great job and is very careful with mask wearing and not being in same room with them and gettin in and out quickly. Trying to decide if it’s time to have her back or not, any opinions?

30. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    @sir crashalot
    I dont have the same issue, but the lady that cleans my house is coming next Tuesday for the first time since this started. I'm thinking she needs the money, and I just don't really like cleaning.

So I think if Sonja is willing to take precautions you'll be doing her, and your family a solid.
    Don't want their house to end up like those falls in Ventura do you.....

UPSed and Faust29 like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.