Coronavirus. Not to be confused with Norcovirus.

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by BonsaiNut, Mar 5, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

You have all the info I have.

sir crashalot likes this.
  2. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Thursday that his stay-at-home order for the entirety of New York State was “probably not the best public health strategy.”

In a press conference in Albany, Cuomo said the smartest way forward would be a public health strategy that complemented a “get-back-to-work strategy.”

“What we did was we closed everything down. That was our public health strategy. Just close everything, all businesses, old workers, young people, old people, short people, tall people,” said Cuomo. “Every school closed, everything.”

“If you rethought that or had time to analyze that public health strategy, I don't know that you would say quarantine everyone,” Cuomo admitted. “I don't even know that that was the best public health policy. Young people then quarantined with older people was probably not the best public health strategy because the younger people could have been exposing the older people to an infection. “

Cuomo stressed the need for both public health and economic growth. “We have to do both,” said the governor. “We’re working on it.”

Faust29, UPSed, buggravy and 2 others like this.
  3. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    It's nice to see some non-binary thinking from someone who recently made the very binary statement about saving the economy vs. saving lives. As we have discussed here, I sure hope the deleterious effects to health from a collapsed economy start to play more into the public discussion.

Faust29 and BonsaiNut like this.
  4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention underestimated the threat from the emerging outbreak of the coronavirus in the US — and bungled its communication with local public health agencies about what actions to take, according to a report.

ProPublica obtained hundreds of pages of documents that it said painted a picture of chaos at the country’s leading national public health agency that slowed the early response to the deadly illness.

On Feb. 13, the CDC sent out an email with what the writer described as an “URGENT” appeal for assistance as the agency was struggling to keep track of people suspected of being infected, the nonprofit news outlet reported.

“Help needed urgently,” the missive said amid “an ongoing issue” with organizing — and at times even misplacing — material sent by local agencies about Americans believed to be infected.

In a bid to correct the botched efforts, the CDC listed job postings for candidates who could track down the missing paperwork. By the time the jobs posting went out, there were already 15 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the US — two weeks before the first case of community transmission was reported in California. In a sign of the CDC’s state of confusion, ProPublica cited documents that show the agency informed Nevada about 80 possible coronavirus patients to monitor — though four of them lived in New York, not Nevada.

UPSed likes this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    @sir crashalot

And the bottom of Skyline is a paved bottleneck during normal times. I wouldn’t go anywhere near it now, even if you could find parking.

mtnbikej likes this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I can attest to the negativity! My elderly mother who lives in rural NY was CAF when I called last night to share some big news... My brothers say it’s cabin fever. They threatened to take her car keys if she doesn’t behave...

7. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Thanks, Yeah, I’m not bothering with the sa’s during this time. Hope access comes back before it gets f’in hot. Hope the forewarned OC trails closure is weekends only.

Faust29 likes this.
  8. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    My elders don’t drive often, so far they’ve been staying at home...my plan is to NOT start their cars occasionally to keep the battery alive...

Faust29 and Rumpled like this.
  9. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    COVID-19 anti-tension elixir...

9EBB2DBF-CFB7-4367-9733-0673747D8922.jpeg

kazlx, Luis, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  11. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Oddly suspicious if you ask me.

ebike.jpeg

12. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Best Meme Ever....

fos'l, Faust29, rossage and 2 others like this.
  13. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Had someone tell Jennifer and myself that we weren't social distancing on our ride this weekend. :facepalm:
    She's my wife and we live together. It's okay.

14. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Imagine what it's like at that person's home. Each member of the family is confined to a room and nobody can be in the same room (kitchen, for example) at the same time. Each family member who uses the facilities (kitchen/bathroom) has to completely sterilize that facility after each use. No group family activities (games/home movies/discussions). Facetiming with family members at home in different rooms while everyone is home. Sounds lovely. :facepalm:o_O:rolleyes:

fos'l and herzalot like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Or... That person just made an ASSumption about Ed and Jennifer.

My tenth grade geometry teacher, Mrs. Seeley, loved to use the ASSumption line when talking about geometry. She was a good one... :thumbsup:

16. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I like my ASSumption of the ASSumptor mo beddahhh.

fos'l, herzalot and Faust29 like this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Two kinds of people in this thing - the militant "SIX FEET" people who are scared of everybody, yet are somehow out in public - and the Space Invaders who, like a honey badger - just don't give a Sh!t. As usual, not much common sense middle ground.

kazlx, rossage, fos'l and 4 others like this.
  18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    While waiting my turn to enter the self-checkout area at the Lake Forest Ralph's today, I had a woman, literally, elbow me and push me out of the way from behind. Physical contact... I gave an audible "What the F***?". The employee who was cleaning the terminals between each customer witnessed it, and berated the line cutter forcefully with style. As did I, along with the four or five people behind me.

Asshat tried to argue, saying she cut no one. Ralph's employee stood firm, and told her bluntly to get a grip, wait in line like everyone else, and if she was incapable of doing that to get out of the store.

If I get the virus, I blame the asshat in Ralph's whose behavior would have sucked even before the apocalypse...

Obsidian, herzalot, rossage and 7 others like this.
  19. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Hard for me to stay 6 feet away from my wife, we sleep in the same bed!

20. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Two dogs... And social distancing is maintained. I get three inches on the edge of the mattress. :cautious:

rossage, Voodoo Tom and Rumpled like this.
  21. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Six feet is a start, but doesn't seem enough when just breathing the same air reportedly can transmit the virus. Apparently the little critters attach to particles in the air, "float" around and remain viable for up to three hours. Statement tonight that of 60 members in a choir, 45 contacted corona after a rehearsal even though the group said they practiced social distancing (doubtful in a choir, but still scary).

Faust29 likes this.
  22. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    The temporary folding no parking signs on Silverado Canyon Road between Blackstar and downtown Silverado have been replaced with the permanent type like you would see on city streets.

Signs like this are on Modjeska Canyon Road. Don't think they are official, just put up by residents.

20200331_195931.jpg

23. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I've been pretty immune to feeling stressed about this as I basically have a chill demeanor. But I need to admit that the whole "stay at home" Covid virus thing is starting to get to me. I no longer have the news on but for a very short period of time. F' the news and the non stop Drama, time to cancel cable.

I really need to ride more, as when on the MTB my mind is free.

Hope this feeling is temporary. Ride on and be strong my friends!
    And say a short prayer for those truly sick and suffering.

24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Official signs will have a Vehicle Code or City/County Ordinance.

25. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Was gonna say the same as J.

26. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Its open:.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/cleveland/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5340229

27. Maderas84

Maderas84 Member

Name:
    Andres
    Current Bike:
    Ibis, Pivot & Santa Cruz
    UPSed, fos'l, herzalot and 1 other person like this.
  28. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
  29. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Today was the first time in several weeks that I've stepped into a grocery store. For the most part people were normal but there were a few wearing masks and gloves. It was kind of creepy. Thankfully all of the employees were acting normal. I hope this ends soon.

30. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    If we are very lucky, things might start, and I stress START, to seem like they are turning toward possibly returning to normal but at the same time being a long way from normal in June. But personally, I think it's going to take longer than that.

I stepped INSIDE my local Ralphs market today for the first time since panic mode set in. I drive by it several times a week hoping that there will not be a line waiting to get in but up until today, there was always a line.

We are all about to be advised to start wearing a simple mask whenever mixing in with others (like grocery shopping). Time to get creative!

Sasquatch9billion likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.