Coronavirus. Not to be confused with Norcovirus.

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by BonsaiNut, Mar 5, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I don't know how MRCA and SMMNRA play together, but reading through comments it sounds like the closure applies to land owned by the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy, which is some but not all of the land under SMMNRA jurisdiction. The list of trails on the MRCA website definitely does not include a lot of the notable trails, though they do also point out that the list is not all inclusive. I think it's definitely a beg forgiveness, not ask permission situation.

Faust29, Mikie, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Or pedal faster than they run after you?

Mikie and buggravy like this.
  3. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I have followed the water all the way up to the top where it eventually ends in a boulder-filled valley that requires climbing gear to climb out of, but I have never seen the spigot.

rattlesnake.jpg

Mikie and konakc like this.
  4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    MrGreedom and Mikie like this.
  5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    They were telling us this morning that even though we are working 60-hour weeks it will definitely slow down once people start running out of money.

herzalot, BonsaiNut, fos'l and 2 others like this.
  6. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Thanks, I hadn't picked up on the difference, and there definitely is. Still seems to affect a lot of riding areas as this does explicitly say trails are closed, not just parking/access. MRCA map seems to include some recognizable names: Rocky Peak, New Millenium, Las Virgenes. I'm not that familiar with the area so maybe others can chime in. Not sure they could or would be able to patrol them. Map: https://mrca.ca.gov/parks/

As for Joshua Tree, should have known but we're not the only ones thinking now is the perfect time to visit. https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ne...but-crowds-keep-coming/ar-BB11zNtc?li=BBnb7Kz I'd still like to go, maybe ride in via Berdoo Canyon. That would be about 25mi to the center of the park. Would mostly be nervous about leaving my truck near the bottom there for a day or 2.

Mikie, rossage, Old&InTheWay and 2 others like this.
  7. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    LA schools most likely out until May 1, at the earliest...

fos'l, Mikie and rossage like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The trails had to be wet before this, but the heavens opened up in RSM for most of the night.

Mikie likes this.
  9. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Who told all the lames to come outside?

SmartSelect_20200323-111111_Instagram.jpg

10. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    If the only thing you’re told is OK is to go for a walk, you go for a walk.

The residents of Silverado were particularly ornery this weekend, you’d think they were Black Star residents with all their spray painted “go away” signs.

Though it was pretty unruly up there, I have to say. 20 cars parked next to a “no parking” sign is the kind of casual lawlessness that makes some folks decide its time to go shopping at Turner’s. The FS and OC sheriff need to stop by and keep it calm next Saturday. Not that they aren’t busy—the LEOs I know are already worn down by the OT.

11. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    D
    Drove past my local Target today and their parking lot was jammed. Fat chance of adhering to the 6' rule. Can't believe the number of individuals who aren't taking this seriously. Perhaps there was so much early emphasis on old people they still think it's a mild inconvenience if they get it.

herzalot, Faust29 and UPSed like this.
  12. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Andrew Yang was saying that would happen in the next 5-10 years due to automation and other factors. Most ignored him. Guess we’re getting a head start on that.

Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  13. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    The Laguna Niguel Costco at 9:00 AM yesterday (an hour before they open). I was there to get gas before we left for our Joshua Tree adventure, but had to stop to snap a photo. This is the same Costco that I walked into last Thursday at noon (no line) and picked up a case of toilet paper with no drama. I can't quite understand why people are queuing up(?)

costco.jpg

14. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    An interesting article that suggests we may be reaching our peak. No, I did not write it :)

Coronavirus outbreak may be over sooner than you think

But he also blames the media for causing unnecessary panic by focusing on the relentless increase in the cumulative number of cases and spotlighting celebrities who contract the virus. By contrast, the flu has sickened 36 million Americans since September and killed an estimated 22,000, according to the CDC, but those deaths are largely unreported.

He fears the public health measures that have shut down large swaths of the economy could cause their own health catastrophe, as lost jobs lead to poverty and hopelessness. Time and again, researchers have seen that suicide rates go up when the economy spirals down.

15. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Id be very nervous about it Evan. When I was looking for a place to park at the Art Smith trailhead parking lot on Saturday, I saw piles of window glass from three separate vehicles that had been recently broken into. None of those vehicles were there but the glass piles were. Be cautious, these are dangerous times.

Cyclotourist, fos'l, Danimal and 3 others like this.
  16. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    MRCA has four trails closed on Verdugo Mountain but all of the fire roads are open. That’s good enough for me.

Faust29, Stkx66 and UPSed like this.
  17. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Agreed. 1 of the 2 times I've had a window smashed was near Palm Springs. That's why I'm nervous about it.

Faust29, Cyclotourist and Stkx66 like this.
  18. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    So in the boulder filled valley where u naturally end the hike...on the right side lookin into canyon are these caves.. little more than cracks in the boulder pile..
    Someone long ago dragged concrete and a faucet and made a little concrete pool bath in the cave.. u can wade wade in it..and have a refreshing bath below the spigot...
    I wish I had px but before iPhones....

Faust29, Cyclotourist and Danimal like this.
  19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    There is a really long thread on this on the Next-door app. The canyon people are (rightfully?) pissed off at the volume...

The proximity of the visitors to each other was a sore spot when I read through the thread. I see the same thing at the RSM lake. There must have been 500 people the other day walking the path... :eek:

@evdog

When we were at the AS parking lot a month or so ago, the ranger actually stopped us to ask if we had had any problems... Apparently, the break-ins are frequent. He actually seemed surprised that our vehicle was intact. o_O There was glass all over then, too...

Stkx66, Cyclotourist, fos'l and 3 others like this.
  20. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    IMG_0074.1.jpg

Lighten the mood a little. :)

Faust29, Grego, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  21. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Faust29 and SnakeCharmer like this.
  22. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    This is something I am seeing a lot when families are out together, no social distancing between the immediate family members. I don't think that they have taken this into consideration. But it makes sense.

The news media/Governor/Mayors need to address this ASAP.

Faust29 and Danmtchl like this.
  23. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I drove past Porto's Buena Park yesterday. Sunday, mid-morning, and it was deserted.

This obviously portends the Apocalypse.

Faust29 likes this.
  24. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    From ocparks.com:

March 23, 20 04:09 PM

Aliso & Wood Canyons Wilderness Park - : Parking and Amenities Closed Beginning March 24

Parking lots at all regional and wilderness parks, restrooms, playgrounds, exercise equipment, shelters and trailheads are closed beginning March 24. Passive walk-through pedestrian, cycling, and equestrian activity is allowed

Faust29, fos'l, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    WOOOOOO WHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Errr, I mean - "Well that's nice, but I am still worried about the world."

26. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Faust29, hill^billy and mtnbikej like this.
  27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Based on all the people I saw parking at the shopping center and walking/riding over to Santiago Oaks on Saturday & Sunday mornings.....this isn't going to stop the hoards.

Faust29, tick, Obsidian and 4 others like this.
  28. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Irvine park on Saturday too. Based on how other countries fought this virus, we're well behind in the area of isolation. We can't begin to make strides until we're forced to comply IMO.

Faust29, mtnbikej and Obsidian like this.
  29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Apostrophes seem to be optional when you've smoked that much weed. That's OK, I am sure they ran out of apostrophes by using them for plurals :facepalm:

rossage, Faust29, buggravy and 2 others like this.
  30. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Not surprised. That's why I like to park down at the Carl's Jr when riding AS. Or right in the Vons parking lot at bottom of Goat trails. The side road outside of Vons always seems a little sketchy even though there are always lots of people around. Fortunately haven't seen much broken glass the last couple years up top at Pine View.

Cyclotourist, Faust29 and Danmtchl like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.