Cornering in Sand Pits

Discussion in 'Cornering' started by verdugist, Nov 23, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. verdugist

verdugist Guest

So Las Flores fire road in Verdugos I've rode a couple times recently. Has about 10 sand pits, some in corners. How do you generally corner in sand pits? I know to brake before the sand and keep your weight either on or behind the saddle so the front wheel doesn't dig into the sand while you're in the pit. But the videos I watched didn't seem to cover cornering while in a sand pit.

Assume that you are wearing flats (I've noticed that I anticipate the rear wheels moving out from under me while in the sand pit cornering and I sometimes put my inside foot down to recover from almost falling). But how do the pros corner in the sand at speed? thx.

p.s. I did do a group nite ride in verdugos last week but it's not like you're all together on the DH's, more separated so hard to learn these specific detailed answers. thx.

2. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Practice.

Cougar, Mikie and verdugist like this.
  3. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I try to turn before the send (when possible).....
    Don't even think about touching your front brake!
    Try to avoid braking all together (the send will slow you down).
    Pray.

verdugist likes this.
  4. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Slide back over the rear fender, grab some throttle to lighten the front wheel, weight the outside peg and lean into the turn. Oh wait, that's on the dirt bike........

rojomas, Redman, LLPoolJ and 3 others like this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Don't ride on golf courses.

verdugist, rojomas, pperrelle and 2 others like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I don't think you should ever ride in sand.

pperrelle and Runs with Scissors like this.
  7. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Don't stop pedaling.

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    What does it say in Men's Journal about riding cornering in sand pits?

rojomas, MCB2K, Voodoo Tom and 5 others like this.
  9. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    this. and pedal like you mean it.

Faust29 likes this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Try these over and over again...

Pick Your Line.jpg

Taken at Fontana DH race in 2013

11. verdugist

verdugist Guest

0/01/2010/4 Comments/in Mountain Bike Skills tips, Mountain biking /by Gene

10 Tips for Mountain Biking in Sand.

Its fall and time to start heading south to ride which means desert riding season is upon us! Riding in deep sand can be frustrating experience. If you follow these tips it will be much more enjoyable.

1. When trying to apply power in a straight line, sit back on your saddle a little and pedal forward like on a recumbent (so the “bottom” of your pedal stroke is about 4 o’clock instead of 6). Missy Giove taught me this 15 years ago in Moab and it really works.
    2. Use an easy gear (pushing a hard gear will dig you down into the sand) and be realistic about your speed. You will not be able to accelerate quickly or even maintain much speed in deep sand.
    3. When going from hard pack to sand realize that this is going to suddenly slow you down. Although I always stress riding with your weight centered on your bike, this is one of those instances where you want to get your weight back a little as you transition from hard pack to sand. If you hit sand centered you will immediately be forward as your bike will slow down in the sand but your body will keep going forward.
    4. When coasting, stand and shift your weight back a little so the front tire doesn’t sink in.
    5. Don’t worry if you get a little off line, as long as you are vaguely going where you want to go
    you are fine.
    6. Do not steer! Changing directions in sand is done gradually by leaning/using counter pressure, trying to quickly change direction will make your front tire “crab” and dig into the sand.
    7. Stay centered on your bike in corners, the urge to “creep back” will take weight off the front wheel (good in a straight line in sand bad in a corner) causing it to slide out.
    8. Look ahead, where you want to go (I know that you already know this but you aren’t doing it), I stress this a lot because it is huge! Looking ahead is not 3 feet in front of you (the last time you stopped in sand where were you looking, that’s right, you were looking right where you stopped, it is so easy to say, “yeah, I know to look ahead” but it is very hard to actually look ahead (2-10 seconds ahead on the trail)). We spend 45 minutes explaining vision, how to use it correctly while riding and doing vision drills in our BetterRide camps and clinics and then expect you to spend the next 3-8 years doing the drills we teach to master this. Knowing to do something is way different than actually doing it.

9. Relax! Relax your grip, breath, smile and don’t fight the sand (as it will win).

10. Wide tires really help you float on top of the sand. If you are headed to Moab or other areas with a lot of sand a big 2.3-2.5 inch tire with big tread will help greatly in the sand.

herzalot likes this.
  12. PMORTUARY

PMORTUARY Member

Name:
    Dave (D2)
    Current Bike:
    Giant Trance
    Are you racing in sandy Corners?

I will assume not and give the following advice: Go ahead and put that foot out weight the outside pedal and lean the bike like crazy. Learn to let both wheels drift and you'll have the time of you life. Practice it enough and you'll figure out how to come out of the sand with more speed just like a nice tight bermed corner.

Varaxis, Luis and ridinrox like this.
  13. verdugist

verdugist Guest

I don't race. But there is a guy in my area that gets up to 40+ mph same hills. But he's a pro motorcycle racer. And I'm not. This thread is for you, not just me. You will succeed.

14. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Don't over analyze and just ride. If you are riding towards a sandy turn and you sit there and think "what did that article say about cornering on sandy turns..." you will probably just end up on your ass. You will learn what technique works for you and what doesn't.

This ^^^^^:thumbsup:

PMORTUARY and HBkites like this.