Core exercises

Discussion in 'Health' started by verdugist, Jan 8, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. verdugist

verdugist Guest

So one of the root causes for lower back pain (e.g. hip flexor) is weak core. So I've started doing some regular core exercises like planks and using Swiss balls to focus on the lower back and core in general as well as balancing. The swiss ball workouts can make you sweat your ass off from not moving much at all compared to running/biking.

Here are some exercises that I've tried and are (hopefully) useful:

http://kellycycling.com.au/services/basic-core-exercises/

transverse abdominis—a deep core muscle that’s critical to a strong midsection and pain-free back:

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/workout-routines/best-swiss-ball-ab-workout

If you have any add'l tips on strengthening core please post. thx.

Danmtchl likes this.
  2. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    I forget the name of the move, but stand straight up, then squat low and then allow your body to roll onto your back with your knees still bent and in the air, then spring back to your feet. Repeat.

With decent core strength, you can do it with only your back touching the ground (no arms/hands, no head, no butt), without any twisting nor balance issues upon landing on your feet. I can do it, but not stuff like the human flag, so it's probably not an advanced move. :ninja:

Oh, if you got one of them swiss balls, and a lot of clean floor space, grab a pair of light dumbbells, put yourself in the plank position while gripping the dumbbells in your hands and feet on the ball, then walk your hands forward and walk the ball forward with your feet, and do figure-8s.

Be creative, IMO. Boring to do those exercises that focus only on 1 thing. Hell, I got bored one day and started doing "spidermans" on my bench--laying with my back on the bench, I just basically started crawling under the bench in a controlled manner in between the legs and the tilt support, trying not to touch the ground, back up top, all while maintaining my face up position. It's like a puzzle on top of being a physical challenge.

Danmtchl likes this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    OK, this thread is about to get very weird - if it hasn't already.

Plank you very much.

Danmtchl likes this.
  4. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Of cores!

herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  5. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Stand up straight!! That's all there is to it, oh and, sit ups help too. :thumbsup:

DangerDirtyD, verdugist and Danmtchl like this.
  6. verdugist

verdugist Guest

I keep hearing about situps but abs is only part of the core. Part of the issue is sitting 50 hrs per week for dozens of years with poor posture, etc.

Anyways, after a relatively short 6.2 mile fire road ride today, my back is ok today (but it was only 1600 ft elevation gain). I used a tennis ball to do some myofascial release therapy (self-massage) on my lower back last night. Seemed to help a lot compared to all the other stretches/exercises I tried in the past several days.

ridinrox likes this.
  7. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Crunches on a decline bench is better. Make sure you go all the way back to the resting position between reps, which means touching your head. I have such a bench next to my bathroom sink and do 60-120 reps every time I brush my teeth (toothbrush has a 2 min timer). Got a pullup bar on my bathroom too, and do 15-25 reps before I visit the crapper, incorporating leg lifts.

These are just habits I have from the military. Pretty much continued the routines, except swapping running for riding, to maintain fitness.

I like doing composite exercises. If I do push-ups, I'm already in the position to do mountain climbers, and I can also fit squat thrusts in there. I like doing lunge squats (AKA split leg squats), which actually works the quads very similarly to riding. If you add a jump and switch legs mid-air, the exercise becomes pretty intense.

Danmtchl, ridinrox and verdugist like this.
  8. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Are you serious or what? In the bathroom you have exercise equipment? I guess it's possible...

Danmtchl likes this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I'll bet! Self massage often leads to release therapy (or so I'm told)... :oops:

Sorry - had to make the same comment on this thread. I am just that juvenile!

Danmtchl, jaime and verdugist like this.
  10. verdugist

verdugist Guest

total disaster :laugh:

Danmtchl likes this.
  11. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Next level plyomterics. This guy is animal. Obviously he's in excellent shape but every time I watch him jump over than 6 foot stack of wood I laugh my ass off. It's insane.

ridinrox and Varaxis like this.
  12. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    That guy knows what's up. He's basically further along the road I'm following, adding all those extra challenges to basic exercises... I was actually almost thinking about freerunning style stuff, but what he does can be better incorporated into routine/habit. I love all the jumps he adds. I've actually lost what fitness I had that let me do stuff like that. I remember jumping over outdoor 50-gal garbage cans with the lids propped half open and over the front hoods of cars just for fun. Those intense push-ups... I'm embarrassed of the sounds I'd be making when trying those. Think I'll start with the jump squat variations first. :D

Houses are insanely cheap in Perris, if you go by sq ft. Too bad they're made as cheap as possible. Floors are sunken in some parts, single pane windows, some outlets not working, only 1 shower gets decent amount of hot water. In the summer, can't tell the diff between hot and cold water lines, since they run bare through the attic to get to my shower (I use the one with the shortest, most direct line in other seasons). :Roflmao Live and learn. Not planning on doing improvements.

Danmtchl and verdugist like this.
  13. verdugist

verdugist Guest

That guy is like taking a crossfit guy and injecting meth it's really intimidating to watch that.

Danmtchl likes this.
  14. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    So meth would straighten up a crossfit guy? :laugh:

Danmtchl likes this.
  15. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Crossfit athletes don't work as hard as they could so they could use a booster.

Rushing weight reps seems dangerous to me however.

Danmtchl likes this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    See - I told you this thread would get weird...

Danmtchl and Voodoo Tom like this.
  17. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Yep I agree. It's strange going from mtn biking to stability ball exercises which I've been doing for the past hour. But I love my Swiss ball dude so many different exercises you can do with or just lay on it and relax. Problem is keeping kids away from it.

Plank leg lift is a good one with Swiss ball.

Danmtchl likes this.
  18. verdugist

verdugist Guest

19. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    The sore back thing went away after just riding more for me. When I ride the road, I like to drop my elbows lower to get into a more aggressive position for speed--just splitting my time between multiple positions helps to delay the sore back (and sore ass or wrists) issues.

verdugist and herzalot like this.
  20. verdugist

verdugist Guest

:bang::Barefoot::bang::Barefoot::bang::bang::bang::Barefoot::bang:So my back is still sore and I only rode 6 miles in 1.5 weeks. I do get the sore ass too but that goes away after the ride finishes and it helps to stand climb as well for the butt soreness.

Not only that but my left operated knee cracked hard enough to hurt last nite during the Swiss ball and yoga exercises. Felt like lateral meniscus going crack.

I think I have some pre-existing issue as I recall my lower back would hurt just standing still for 2 hrs at 2 rock concerts. 40 feels older than I thought.

Also I swapped back the flat shimano saints and I did read in the zinn book about outside knee pain from misaligned cleats. Will retry clips in the future.

21. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Your knee needs to be bled like a hydraulic circuit, as that crack is basically cavitation. ;) Cavitation is a serious issue, as those bubbles destroy military grade materials like it were cheese. JKing.

Foot position is another reason why I chose platforms. I actually have gone as far as adding pedal extenders on all my actively ridden bikes, after discovering it helped with my jacked up legs. I tried shoe wedges, but they were more trouble than any perceived benefit I got out of them. I'm an overpronator, which I discovered when I was a runner.

22. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Solid:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/threads/lower-back-pain-on-hill-climbs.425295/

23. verdugist

verdugist Guest

So after a 20 mile street/fire road/ST ride, my back is feeing much less sore.

Noted differences:

Ice pack applied 4 times for 10-15 mins each
    Saddle moved forward 1 inch
    Kept back straight during climbs
    Multiple breaks to stretch hamstrings
    Not mashing as much
    Core exercises

24. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Badass:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?