Cool Weather Riding Jacket/Windbreaker - Which One?

Discussion in 'Jackets' started by Mikie, Jan 12, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I need to get a new jacket/windbreaker for cool weather riding...

The criteria I'm looking at are:
    1) Breathes so that I don't sweat like a pig once I get warmed up :( . I have a cheaper ($40 bucks) jacket/windbreaker now that doesn't breath and the sweat pools in the sleeves (yeah, gross! :? ).

2) Stuffs into a very small compartment. I use the Camelbak "Lobo" for most all of my rides and it has a real small compartment for stuffing a jacket/windbreaker. If I stuff what I got now in there, it displaces a lot of the water capacity :x .

Anyone come across a jacket/windbreaker they really like?

2. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Always look for adaptability. I like the jackets from Pearl Izumi and others where the sleeves zip off to allow cooling. I typically do not ride in goretex because it is just too warm for most of our weather. Experiment with layers, its the only way....

Mikie likes this.
  3. MTBHotRod

MTBHotRod Member

Name:
    Rodney Thompson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I have a light weight Pearl Izumi wind breaker that I love. As Rossage mentioned the sleeves zip off which is a great option since I ride most of the time without the sleeves.

Mikie likes this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Guys,
    Can you give me some name, model numbers, maybe a little more specific? I went on line to find two zillion jackets ranging from $29.95 to over $500.00. I'm willing to spend in the $125.00 range for something that has been proven worthy...
    Thanks!

Edit: Found two Pearl Izumi's I really like that fit your descriptions and naturally they are out of stock... :x

5. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    I'm no help re: exact make and model. I just have some cheapies I got that are not the best.

but I will just double up on what others said. If you are buying a windbreaker / jacket for sure get a full front zip. (taking a pullover off that is wet SUCKS) bonus: pit zips or sleeve zips for that breath-ability.

Me, I dont really wear a jacket unless it is raining, and at that point the thing is going to get wet / muddy / trashed anyhow so all mine are $30 cheapies. I prefer layers for dry-ish cold weather so when it is chilly I wear a thicker breathable long sleeve and sometimes will add a vest on top if it is real cold. If you have to climb, you are going to get hot and sweat no matter what you wear, and I've found those new high tech materials help pull moisture away from your skin. Lately, I am using a Nike dry-fit thermal base layer thing I got on sale at sports chalet. I always wear a short sleeve on top of it, and if it gets too hot I just shed the base layer.

Mikie likes this.
  6. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Mikie likes this.
  7. F.A.D.

F.A.D. Newbie

Name:
    Ken
    Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball

Might have one in stock at the shop. What's your dress size?

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?