Commuter bike

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sir crashalot, Dec 30, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    My coworker has a barely used specialized Sirius road/commuter bike (was $650? new)
    that she wants to get rid of, said I could have it for $100. I have some nicer parts to put on it I think. It'd be nice to have a "beater" bike to ride to work/around town without wearing out my expensive mtb tires/drivetrain. Whadyall think? Worth it? I'm running out of garage space..

2. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Worth it. My Brother has a nice cx/touring bike that just hangs in his living room but he has gone through maybe 5 beater bikes because he commutes to work and locks his bike-up outside. He's caught at least one guy trying to steal them right in front of his work.

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  3. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Absolutely, I used to commute more than I do now, but I also get a unique sense of accomplishment when I do chores / errands via bike. Will say simplest is best.

4. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Yeah, I'm gonna do it. It's In almost new condition except for rusty cables and chain. Gonna put on a shorter stem, riser bars, old but nice pedals, and maybe a 9 speed dtrain. At least my work lets me bring my bike inside.

5. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Current Bike:
    2013 Charge Cooker
    Absolutely worth it. I converted my first mountain bike into a commuter. It's a 2008 Cannondale F7 which I beat up when I was a newbie. It cost about $500 new and the sentimental value exceeded the actual value of the bike. I put on a cheap rigid fork, used Avid BB7 brakes, 26 x 1.5 tires, a rear rack and trunk bag. It's been great for me. It's not the quickest bike by any stretch of the imagination, but it's been a workhorse. I put on about 600 miles on it since around March.

6. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    It is in theory one size too big for me, it's reach is 410mm which however is in line with my mtb sizing. Does it matter? I'm not gonna be doing extended rides on it

7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    The Sirrus is a good bike. I work at a Specialized dealer and it is our top seller. Perfect for commuting. Higher end models are suitable for touring. Enjoy it.

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  8. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Ross I'm 5'8" normally ride a med or small in mtb frames. This Sirius is a large. If I put stubby stem on it, should be fine? I have a 30 mm and a 50 mm in my parts bin and an old riser bar. Reach is 410mm, many m or s mtb's run longer than that. I figure for a $100 commuter it doesn't have to be perfect

9. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    That's going to be a stretched out ride. Tough to make a big bike small. For that money, it's worth a try. If the fit doesn't work out, sell the bike for what you paid and you're out nothing but the effort.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?