Cold weather gear

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Y-not, Dec 23, 2022.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 6, Litespeed SS
    I have a few items for cold weather riding from when I lived in the LA area. The cold weather in LA doesn't compare to the stuff in the mountains.

For those of you that do venture out in the cold for a ride, what type of equipment do you have ?

I'm talking about low 30's no snow, but 80% humidity/ light fog.

I have skull caps (light weight ones), a good jacket, and a pair of Fox DH gloves.

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I have two sets of under garments (long johns/long sleeve top). The light duty set (Under Armor) works for temps down to about 45F. The second set of Go Athletics. They will keep me comfy on down to 30F maybe high 20s.

Socks, I wear thick wool. I also have waterproof wool (Showers Pass) but I have yet to use them.

For my hands, when its below about 55F, I wear my Showers Pass waterproof wool gloves.

My sweatband can be flipped to cover my ears. I also have a skull cap for the extremes.

Danmtchl, redwoods, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  3. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    A skull cap is good but a base layer with a hood brings up heat from the body which is very nice for keeping ears warm.

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    freezer ziploc bags over the socks work well too.

redwoods and Danmtchl like this.
  5. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Heat is my kryptonite but when I lived in SoCal, I bet I rode in temps below 50 maybe 3 times....and never owned pair of riding pants of any sort. Since moving to Prescott, I ride in the 40's regularly during the heart of Winter. I've still only rode in shorts but usually start my ride with (2) long sleeve layers up top. I can't wear any sort of windbreaker jacket unless it's actively raining as I overheat. 90% of the time, I peel off one of them during the ride as I heat up. However, on my last trip in SoCal, I went to the Fox company store in Irvine and bought a pair of their high end lightweight pants. I wore them the other day in PHX when it was 52 and they worked out surprisingly well. I may start to wear them more often.

redwoods, Danmtchl, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  6. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I'm not hitting 30's too much. That said I was hovering around 40 yesterday in dense fog. I was partially dressed in a manner convenient with changing into work clothes.

Boxers under thermals under bike shorts.
    Tshirt under thermals under jersey.
    Skull cap that covers my ears.
    Aero helmet (less airflow).
    Wool socks, MTB shoes, shoes covers.

That combo is good to about mid 30's or slightly below. I need to add another layer if it gets colder, but that's extremely rare.

Oh, I'm also road riding mostly downhill to work, so the airflow makes for more wind chill factor. For MTB riding that might be slightly too much.

I do have a thinner set of thermals for mid 50ish degree weather. Arm sleeves for 60ish desgrees.

My GF's daughter thought it was weird that I bought a thermometer with an outdoor sensor. But that's how I plan my morning clothing :geek:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?