Coates Cyclery closing after 83 years

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DangerDirtyD, Feb 14, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    IMG_2442.JPG
    Demolition of the building (and even the sign) will require historical evaluation.

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    That's a bummer and it is indeed a sign of the times.

Faust29, mike, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  3. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    :cry: there goes another

Faust29, mike, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  4. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I don't live in the area so, I've never been there but it doesn't bode well for our own lbs'. I've run into some of the staff on rides and they've been super cool.

Faust29, mike, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  5. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Sad to see, but retail is changing rapidly.
    The bike shop model of today will go extinct. Most people don't want to shop at a physical location anymore. I think customers will order their bikes online, and they will be delivered, assembled/tuned by mobile mechanics like Beeline.
    The same model works for repairs, though I think local repair shops with limited inventory will become the norm.
    High-end bikes can be sold on-site at demo days, from inventory hauled in semi-trailers or special containers.
    Test it. Like it? Buy it now!

6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Coates is/was a couple blocks from where I grew up. Been there many times, sorry to see it go, but unfortunately retail is slowly fading. Bought a few bikes at coates in the 70s.
    I think I'm in the minority as I buy virtually all my MTB stuff from physical stores, it's just fun to go in chat, check it out and leave with it.

Now going to a mall and walking around just sucks, so I'll buy my jalapeno pepper corer online.

7. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I have been using Beeline.
    At times I don't understand their business model, but I like the fact I don't need to leave to service my bike.

8. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    Canyon will be here at the end of summer. They're a big player. Curious to see how the rest of the bike industry handles it.

9. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Other manufacturers will sell direct (some already do).

Danmtchl and mike like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    "The internet can't fix your bike!" Best line ever... And fitting for me! I break stuff frequently, and the LBS keeps me running, usually with a minimum of downtime. I'll pay $5 more for a tire if it helps keep them around.

Danmtchl, MattB, MolarM and 3 others like this.
  11. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Coates was THE place to go for Schwinn parts back in the late 70'/80's. I grew up in Chino and we'd drive up there just because of their excellent service. Then we'd go down the street to La Paloma for some bomb mex food.

kioti, Danmtchl, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    This closure was actually on the news last night (Channel 9 I think). Sucks to see another one go down.

Danmtchl, mike and rossage like this.
  13. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Seems unfair that places like CRC can sell parts retail cheaper than lbs' can buy them wholesale.

Danmtchl, MattB and rossage like this.
  14. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I was able to get Shimano shoes from CRC in Belfast, Ireland cheaper than I could get them from Shimano here in the US. And that was with my discount from working at the shop!
    Definitely a problem

Danmtchl, Luis and MattB like this.
  15. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    I had a Coates Cyclery bookbag (it's what they were called before backpacks) in elementary school. Probably '72-'75ish? Sad to see them go.

I buy all my stuff from basically one shop. I like getting what I need, I like the helpful service, just like goin in there to talk and hang out.

Danmtchl and Redman like this.
  16. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Since they have their own bike line...CRC probably get their Shimano stuff on OEM pricing. Some of the Shimano stuff they send you has no retail packaging. I've gotten parts in a generic box and/or in a plastic bag.

You know its bad when a local shop buys from CRC for a customer's build.

I've seen OEM pricing on parts from 3T, Ritchey, and FSA...it's crazy on how cheap the parts are.

Westlake Cyclery just recently closed their doors too.

Danmtchl and rossage like this.
  17. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    You're correct. Hell, people are ordering groceries online for delivery nowadays and we've had food delivered for eons already. This computer age is making everything too easy to obtain. It's making humans lazy (as a species). "Brains in a fish bowl" we will all be sooner than later at this pace...

I hate to say it but my LBS has seemed slow for a while now. Used to be that I had to wait days or longer to have some work done. Now, they just right on it.

Danmtchl likes this.
  18. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    My LBS seems slow too; there used to be a date when they were scheduling for, sometimes a week away; now it says "tomorrow" (guess they don't need to change it daily that way).

Danmtchl likes this.
  19. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    Check out this blog entry for The Hub Cyclery in Idyllwild, it is another example of the current retail model failing. But in this situation, it looks like they are actually gonna try adapting and seeing if they can survive into the future.

http://blogs.hubcyclery.com/announcing-hub-3-0/

herzalot, rossage, kioti and 5 others like this.
  20. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    EBay is the same way, I would have customers come in and ask if I could match their pricing. We told customers that we would not match any online pricing through EBay or CRC.

rossage and RS VR6 like this.
  21. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    I have a friend that worked for Shimano in Irvine. I was looking for some Zee parts and he gave me a code that let my buy for a pretty decent discount off retail. First they had no stock...and second...CRC was cheaper! I just bought a few more things like brake rotors and chains to get free shipping. All were cheaper.:whistling:

I remember eBay had XX1 cassettes for close to 200 bucks. Shops were buying off eBay and reselling. Lol...there is a shop that bought a bunch of tubes from Pricepoint when they were liquidating all their stuff for dirt cheap.

mtnbikej, Danmtchl and rossage like this.
  22. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    You wonder why Shimano sales were down. If CRC and others are buying groups and selling them for less than wholesale, it hurts the whole supply chain. The distributor loses money and then the LBS.

herzalot and mtnbikej like this.
  23. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    I'm sad to see this, next you are going to see the likes of Bicycle Central and others falling. I'm all for the larger chain stores but their is something to be said about the smaller outfits.

Danmtchl likes this.
  24. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I'm fine with this. QBP's US monopoly isn't good for the consumer. It's an indictment of the industry that we have to gray market parts from Europe to achieve something like a market price.

herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  25. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    When I decided to refresh my Cannondale Synapse, I tried to spend money at the somewhat local LBS, only to be told that he couldn't get the parts cheap enough to justify stocking them; people wouldn't buy them from him.

I tried. He appreciated that I tried. But he actually told me to check Colorado Cyclist.o_O