CL crazy ads...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jaime, Mar 15, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    Let me start with one Craiglist crazy ad....
    Well, it seems this guy is aiming for a noob, since his list of upgrades, and his own appraisal is kind of way out of the park... Don't you think guys?

<a class="postlink" href="http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/4900753614.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/4900753614.html</a>

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Unless I am missing something, it doesn't sound that strange. Sure the description of the components sound a little weird (Avid 7 disc), 26" tires with no brand or width, etc. Maybe English is not his first language, or he doesn't know much, or it's stolen. Who knows? The asking price is about what you can get for a mediocre used 5 year old 26er full sus bike. Actually, it's probably priced a little high.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, I wonder why it has a mismatched rear triangle... I am sure Speshy did not spec the bike with two shades of blue. Oh well, let the buyer beware when you buy of Craigs List.

3. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    My Speshy has a mismatched rear triangle, although it's less obvious (flatter black than the rest of the frame). I crashed and bashed the seat stay on a rock and bent it... For whatever reason, they could only source a non-matching seat stay to fit it. Whatever, it works. But I'd have painted it if it were that mismatched.

4. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    Herz, I wanted to point out the $5000 worth of upgrades, since I consider myself a noobie in this beautiful sport, even me know, there is no way those upgrades are that much $$. and you are damn right "be aware of CL scammers" Hey guys if you see something funny or crazy on CL post it !! Lets us have a laugh or a rant abou it !!

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Post up a Screen Shot of the ad.....CL ads come and go too fast, so links are often times no good.

6. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark

That price seems pretty good considering cross max wheels and the condition of the bike. my 2 cents

7. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    He stated that he has $5,000 into it altogether, which would include the original cost of the bike in 2008, plus the upgrades. That bike IIRC retailed for $3,700 new.

The wheels, and the XTR crankset look to be the major upgrades. Not sure they add up to another $1,300 or not.

Maybe he had to buy the new rear triangle :~P

The stock wheelset was decent enough with the DT star ratchet rear hub.

The $5,000 statement is a little misleading. If he wants you to believe you're getting what he paid $5K for, he should be including the original wheelset and XT cranks in the deal too :mrgreen:

8. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    uploadfromtaptalk1426486588976.png

uploadfromtaptalk1426486618599.png

9. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    Cost of the bike + Parts/Upgrades + Sentimental Value = $1380

Sentimental value is through the roof. Jk

I've sold all my bikes on craigslist, and I usually get around what I paid for them. Of course, I bought them used to begin with.

I'm sure this guy is expecting to get low balled, so he's throwing in some big numbers to not get as low balled. Of course someone who knows about mountain bikes can see through the facade, but I'm sure there are tons of people who don't know jack who see this bike as a steal compared to buying new.

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I think this looks like a good deal. ;)

Attached Files:

11. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    ^ Bottom bracket seems a bit high.. geometry just doesn't seem to be right either. Other than that it's a pretty nice build and I bet it "climbs like a goat." :lol:

12. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo

Climbs like a goat is still faster than climbs like a VW bus......

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?