Chino Hills

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by fatboyone, Nov 1, 2014.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. fatboyone

fatboyone Newbie with Hope!

Anyone know the status of Chino Hills for Sunday?

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  2. Rob S.

Rob S. Member

Name:
    Rob Skinner
    I'll let you know after we get back tomorrow. Parking at the visitor center on CC Rd., riding NR to 4C to SR.

3. fatboyone

Same plans here!!

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Northridge is still closed......no?

5. fatboyone

Yes, still closed. Barricade was broken couple weeks ago. We go up tele/sycamore/nr/4cornerd

6. fatboyone

Received FB message that the trails are Closed at Chino Hills.

7. Rob S.

Rob S. Member

Name:
    Rob Skinner
    Why I have no use for parks or rangers.

This isn't all about a rain closure. But the rain closure just happens to poke at an open wound.

It's a beautiful day in North Orange County, the dirt is damp, the skies are blue. On my way to Carbon Canyon this morning, I got a call from a friend saying that there were Volunteer Rangers at the Discovery Center turning people away. That wasn't a surprise, as the rules state that there is a three-day closure after any rain. That was ok, as I knew that the trails were not muddy and no one visits the interior of the park other than mountain bike riders. I like to park on the side of the road, so access wouldn't be a problem. When I got there, there were about twenty cars by the side of the road from people who got an earlier start than I did. I geared up and rode the little cut-off toward North Ridge. When I got to the intersection of North Ridge and Telegraph, there were more Rent-A-Rangers out there with yellow tape. I rode up to chat with them, and they actually seemed to be taken aback that a rider would be so bold as to come up and chat with them. I extended greetings, and one ranger immediately went into a spiel about how the park was closed because the trails were muddy. I responded, "C'mon, you and I both know that the trails are not muddy," and he went into another song and dance about how "this isn't a bike park, it's a nature preserve," and there are newts and frogs and birds. Very well, at least he was now sounding a little less crazy and he wasn't spewing a bald-faced lie. I thanked the two gentlemen, wished them well, and chose someplace else to ride.

Incidentally, North Ridge is in the same condition that it's been for the past five years. There's a little washout near the bottom that people ride and hike around, and that's it. Had the the Human Stop Signs been given a couple shovels, some lumber, and a saw, they could have repaired the trail and made it legal again. So of the two access trails from the west side of the park, one has been closed. Access from the east side has been closed for a couple years due to a failed "road improvement" project.

The degree of mismanagement supports my contention that the parks are not created to help create a safe and enjoyable wilderness experience of the public. They are created to add to an out-of-control bureaucracy, and park visitors are merely an inconvenience. I'm afraid this management style could be in the future for the newly established San Gabriel Mountains National Monument. Time will tell. Until then, I'll continue to ride and hike like I always have. Hope you all found someplace nice to ride this weekend.

hill^billy likes this.
  8. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    CHSP is usually pretty muddy after rains isn't it?

9. BeckTrex

BeckTrex Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    2009 Giant Trance X3
    I too gave it try on Sunday morning. I got to the Telegraph entrance around 7:15 and was greeted a big steel gate blocking the road with a closed sign in front of it. I might be able to "miss" a "trails" closed flyer nailed to a post but this was pretty hard to miss even with out a Volunteer Ranger to back it up. I went with Plan B.

Thanks for the info on Facebook messages. I "liked" the page so perhaps next time I can skip straight to Plan B.

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    That is what I have learned over the years....it is one of the worst places when it gets wet.

11. fatboyone

And now they have closed the park for Red Flag warnings, whats next?

12. Neccros

Neccros Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Brian Froeber
    So is this place closed then>???

If I recall, I used to start at Carbon Canyon, then ride telegraph to 4 corners then head up bovine to south ridge and then back to telegraph.

Anyone know if this loop is off limits? I was planning on my first single speed ride here and would hate to drive all the way from Redondo Beach to have it be closed!

13. Rob S.

Rob S. Member

Name:
    Rob Skinner
    The Chino Hills State Park web site indicates that the park is currently open.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_iD=648" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_iD=648</a>

14. Neccros

Name:
    Brian Froeber
    looks like a few trails are closed or limited.... need to find a map

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    While the park is open......save for Northridge, which is closed from the bottom to Sycamore.

Most of the trails are rideable on front side of the park. However, once you drop to the backside of the park, things change quite a bit. Russian Thistle is growing wild out there. Sidewinder, Bane Ridge, Scully Ridge, Scully Hill are nearly gone. The Russian Thistle/Tumbleweeds are so thick that you can't see the trail....they are nearly 6' tall in sections.

It kinda sucks that they pretty much ignore the backside of the park.....while it doesn't get the same traffic as the frontside....it would be nice if they would at least take care of it. Maybe once the road is fixed, this may all change. I mean they spent all that money building all the restrooms and campsites back there, just to have them sit empty.

16. Neccros

Name:
    Brian Froeber
    I've only ridden what I guess is the front side???

I rode CHSP back in 04 after we had that crazy year of rain and telegraph had a 4 foot deep, 5 foot wide gap cut into it and we needed a weed whacker to get through some of the overgrowth...

17. Rob S.

Rob S. Member

Name:
    Rob Skinner
    You can't drive in on Bane Canyon Road. It's an "improvement" project intended to make the park better for you. They're just paving the road, which is something that should take a few months, but has now been going on for years. The headline on the state park web page is a lie. The headline would have you believe that the project was scheduled to run from January, 2014 until April 2015. Fact: the road closure began in 2012, effectively closing the park to families with young kids, the elderly, school field trips, equestrians, and people who are not adventurous enough to venture off onto the wilderness trails. Regardless, you can't drive there. You can ride there, however.

You can't legally ride North Ridge. There is a little washout that's been there for several years. People have just ridden around it. Last year some horse rider drove his horse over the edge, so now that whole section is closed. It wouldn't take more than a day and a few hundred bucks in material to repair the washout, but it's not really necessary. The trail is fine. Luckily, there are a lot of riders and hikers who use this trail anyway; if they didn't, the trail would soon be overgrown and lost forever.

The Hills For Everyone Trail might or might not be closed. It's a "hiker only" trail that has become so overgrown that it's barely passable. Ironically, Hills For Everyone is a group that was instrumental in securing more land for the park, and this trail was the thanks they received. This trail may soon be gone forever. Water Canyon IS gone forever; there are no remnants of trail left near the top of the canyon. Fenceline Trail is gone forever; you can start off if you know where it was, but you'll soon be lost in a sea of weeds.

If you'll recall, a couple years ago the park service was claiming a budgetary crisis, and the parks were being closed in an attempt to leverage public opinion toward more tax increases and greater funding for the parks. Only later it was discovered that the state parks had a surplus of $55,000,000, proving that the budget crisis was a complete fabrication.

The decisions being made by park management, their stalling, their inaction, indicate that the rangers don't really want visitors in the park. Every action they seem to take is to put up obstacles for people to visit and enjoy the park. But that wasn't your question... Your question was about trail closures. The trails you mentioned are legal and open. Resist the temptation to take Cheat Street, the sweet single track that drops down off South Ridge to Telegraph. It's a hiker only trail. So hop in your truck, venture eastward, and enjoy the trails.

18. Neccros

Name:
    Brian Froeber
    Cheat street? I think we used that to get to telegraph after the damage from the rain... LOL Is that the trail near where you park in that neighborhood???

19. BeckTrex

BeckTrex Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    2009 Giant Trance X3
    The "Chino Hills State Park" facebook page says:

"CHINO HILLS STATE PARK WILL REMAIN CLOSED TODAY DUE TO RED FLAG WARNING WEATHER CONDITIONS."

This was posted about 8 hours ago. Apparently the FB page is the place to look, not the web page.

20. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Yikes! How long has this eyesore been there? Sucks the'll spend the time and money for a barricade but not to repair the erosion. No?

000_0342.JPG

21. Rob S.

Rob S. Member

Name:
    Rob Skinner
    That's the difference between the LEO's that want to make rules that they can go out and enforce, and rangers want to create a sustainable wilderness that can be enjoyed by everyone. We have too many of the former, and are in desperate need of the latter.

Just to clarify, the "erosion" is a tiny little washout that happened several years ago, and people have since just walked around it creating a new trail four feet from where the original one was. That road has been there longer than ANY ONE OF US has been alive. There's no ecologically significant reason for shutting it down. None.

22. BeckTrex

BeckTrex Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    2009 Giant Trance X3
    CHSP trail conditions
    Northridge : Still closed.
    Bane Canyon Road: Still closed but at least it looks like they are working on it.
    Raptor Ridge & Faultline: Dirt is great! The weeds on either side of the trail are 1 to 2 feet high now and make the trail seem narrower, the trail itself is clear.
    Sidewinder: The trail is in good condition. The weeds on either side of the trail are 1 to 3 feet high now, looks like they may get pretty high this year.
    Bane Ridge: Good conditions, the tumbleweeds are gone.
    Brush Canyon: Now I know where all the tumble weeds went. There is a trail around all the tumble weeds and it is quite ridable.
    Scully: Weeds 1 to 2 feet high, even in the middle of the road. There is always nice trail through so still ridable.
    Alluvial: North end of trail is completely blocked by tumble weeds where it crosses the creek, there is a way around with just a little bushwhacking. Part of the middle of the trail is also blocked, there is a trail around but it was clearly made by horses and is a bit rough and overgrown. Still, better than riding the main road.

23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Thanks for the update.....these are the parts that I have been hesitant to get back out on.

Tumbleweeds on Scully are gone?

Heading out there tomorrow, so I get to check it out.

24. BeckTrex

BeckTrex Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    2009 Giant Trance X3
    I only rode Scully from the top down to the bridge, so I have no idea of what it is like from the tracks up. There was evidence of vehicular traffic so I would guess it clear.

25. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    raptor,faultline, sidewinder, and bane ridge are all in great shape right now (in both directions). growth on the sides of the trail is encroaching quickly. Lots of fun, makes the trails actually feel like REAL singletrack!

26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    I was out there today....but broke a spoke on Faultline and did make it over to Sidewinder/Bane Ridge.

Yes, the window to ride out on the ST is quickly going to close......the road section between Raptor and Faultline is now narrow singletrack with mustard already starting to grown handlebar height.

27. Oaken

Oaken Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    I rode from Green River today. I'd guess a week or two is all that will be left to ride before the plants take over.
    I've always wanted to figure out a weed eater contraption on wheels to drag behind the bike and keep the mustard at bay. :?
    Sidewinder was fine 5" singletrack, but will quickly be encroached. Rolling Ranch was about the same, with a couple of downed trees at the start by Water canyon.
    Bane was still pretty great, as was the lower Aliso singletrack. I was going to ride Alluvial but the tumbleweeds changed my mind (didn't see Beck's post).

28. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Fuel EX8
    How is Chino Hills this time of the year? I'm planning to ride there next week.

29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

The Russian Thistle is starting to grow already.....fortunately, it is still green and not completely overgrown.....yet.

I will find out tomorrow.

30. Rob S.

Rob S. Member

Name:
    Rob Skinner
    I've been riding there over the past couple weeks. North Ridge, Raptor, Rattle Snake, Bane, Bovinian, Cheat Street, they're all great. The dirt is good and the mustard is low. The rains were heavy this past week, but I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?