Chesebro Loop/Palo Camado?

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by buggravy, Feb 15, 2019.

1. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity The Smash
    Any intel on current conditions or open/closed status? Most recent report I could find on MTBProject said conditions were "bad/closed", but that was from early January, and I know "closed" is sort of open to interpretation. Planning to do my first ride in 4 months late this weekend, weather permitting. Just trying to get my legs back under me, and see how the shoulder tolerates all the vibration of riding, so low/moderate distance with a bit of climbing, fire road heavy seems like the ticket. Also considering just hitting my old standby, Las Virgenes Trailhead out the Bell Canyon fire road. Open to any other recommendations if someone has ridden something in that general area recently that fits the bill and is in passable shape.

2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    With the recent amount of rain I'd stay out of the Cheeseboro area. Not sure about the Bell Canyon entrance but you could start at the end of Las Virgenes and head north until you feel like turning around. There may be one doable water crossing. You can also access Las Virgenes Open Space not too far from the start. Feel free to ask any specific questions.

Fueledbyex8 likes this.
  3. buggravy

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Much appreciated. If I do the Bell Canyon fire road it would be from the LV entrance. I've spent a good deal of time there, and was looking for some variety, but it would also be a good barometer as to where I stand from a fitness perspective since I know where I was at prior to surgery. Hell, it may be all new to me anyway since the fire. Pretty sure I know where the water crossing you're referring to would be as well. If it's where I'm thinking it was my I'll-stop-here-in-the-shade-and-try-not-to-puke spot after a pretty good uphill slog. Thanks for the intel.

UPSed likes this.
  4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    That or climb SCE fire road, take the connector to Cheseboro Ridge Trail (fire road) and continue on that past Sheep Corral and up to Bell and then drop down that to roll out?

UPSed and buggravy like this.
  5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Seems like a lot of climbing for someone who's been off the bike for 4 months. @buggravy as I said you can always go right into the LVOS for a little variety. I have a friend that rides from the west side of Cheese on a regular basis. I'll post up if I see any rides there tomorrow. Palo Comado may be passable by Sunday.

6. buggravy

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Awesome, thanks. And I won't be heading out until Monday. Could even push it until midweek if I need. LVOS is my last resort, but a perfectly decent one for the task at hand if it comes to that.

UPSed likes this.
  7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Well hell's bells. By Monday the Cheese should be good to go provided we don't get anymore rain. FYI the bridge to the neighborhood and parking lot was burned out during the Woolsey fire but I hear you can park on the side and ride in.

buggravy likes this.
  8. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Oh, I've always felt that the point of mountain biking was to climb mountains? :D

The downhill return is just gravy, not the point (in my world).

9. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Cheese is marine sediment and it sticks to your tires. I find it takes some time before it looses its tendency to grab the tires
    Happy sloppy trails

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Blasphemy! Stone him!!!!