Charlie Barnes ( A loss)

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Sasquatch9billion, Dec 23, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I think some of us from the STR days may have ridden with Charlie Barnes. He was an ever positive human being who was constantly stoked on anything and everything.
    I heard from a mutual friend tonight that he succumbed to Covid-19 and we've lost him.

It had been a while since Charlie had ridden with friends from the mtb community. He'd always been very active in the R/C racing and import Japanese car communities- and was an in demand designer.

Recently, on Instagram, we'd discussed planning a trip to Sky park and I'd mentioned to him that I'd seen him on a Discovery channel show.

I'll post a link to the go fund me a friend set-up for his family. I don't think I'll post an image of him just to be respectful of his family.

He will be missed by all those who met him and rode with him. He was a big deal in the R/C community, Japanese Sport compact car community and a mtb mentor to many.

I think, if you knew him, you loved him and it's a monumental loss. To me Charlie Barnes was the Epitome of PMA, Positive mental attitude. HE was an unendingly positive hum an being who always found happiness in the smallest things.

Walleye, riiz, Mikie and 20 others like this.
  2. Maderas84

Maderas84 Member

Name:
    Andres
    Current Bike:
    Ibis, Pivot & Santa Cruz
    He was a friend on FB back in 2010-2012. Sad to hear this news.

Mikie, fos'l, deocguy and 6 others like this.
  3. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Oh man,:( so sad. Charlie was such a great guy to ride with. So much MTB stoke. Was known as Zerogravity on STR and hosted many rides under the Orange County Rookie Riders name. I was fortunate to participate in some of them. I remember once we were bombing down the 3 B's at Turnbull exceeding 40 mph on our Cateye odometers. Crazy! Another memorable moment I'll never forget was after an OTH race we both were laughing about how much dirt we were coughing up because the place was so damn dusty. Dozens of Floop rides with the crew too. Haven't seen him in years. He will be missed.:cry:

4. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Before my time, but it sounds like he was a good dude. RIP.

Mikie, Danmtchl, fos'l and 5 others like this.
  5. TherealJohnG

TherealJohnG Member

Name:
    John Groenhof
    Current Bike:
    Stanton Sherpa
    Very sad. I met Charlie doing beginner rides he used to organize. For the past number of years I have been racing rc and eating sushi with him. Blindsided by this damn virus, he will be missed.

Mikie, Danmtchl, OTHRider and 6 others like this.
  6. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Sorry for the loss. I wish I had the chance to meet Charlie, he sounds like the best! R.I.P. Charlie!
    Prayers to all that were close to Charlie.

Mikie, Danmtchl, OTHRider and 6 others like this.
  7. deocguy

deocguy Member

Name:
    JB
    Current Bike:
    Specialized
    My condolences and deeply sympathy for him and the family he left behind. R.I.P Charlie!

Mikie, Danmtchl, OTHRider and 4 others like this.
  8. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Don't think I ever encountered him, but RIP and prayers for his loved ones.

Mikie, Danmtchl, OTHRider and 2 others like this.
  9. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    RIP Charlie. I never met him either but that guy was sure passionate about biking, and RC cars. My prayers to the family.

Cyclotourist, herzalot, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Fullerton Bikes had several pictures of Charlie on their Instagram story yesterday... From the images, and the tributes here, he looks like someone who helped create a lot of memories.

Rest In Peace, Charlie...

Mikie, Danmtchl, Rumpled and 4 others like this.
  11. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    Charlie’s PMA was infectious. Also knew him from STR and the RC community. Quite eerie seeing Noel’s post in this thread, not even a month ago. Damn this is too much.

12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Seeing this post from @Poofighter is a tough one...

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?