Changing my Handle Bar & Stem...

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by 45acpguy, Jul 17, 2018.

1. 45acpguy

45acpguy Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Camber Comp
    After spending several nights riding around
    the hood, I’m thinking I would benefit from some wider bars. Im 5’10” with a slightly longer torso/reach.

Im looking at the Renthal V2 lite FatBars 760mm with a low/20mm rise. I guess my question would be... should I swap out my stem when going to a wider bar?

The factory stem is 60mm, and Im currently sporting 720mm width bars. I’ve been reading a lot about stem vs handlebar width ratios and it seems 750mm (or wider) should typically go with a 50mm stem.

mike, Faust29, Danmtchl and 1 other person like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Do the bars first...,.then see how the fit is. 10mm is not much, even when it comes to stem lengths.

Cyclotourist, mike, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    +1 Agree with J.
    Short Steering Stems with super wide bars is the current trend. But start with the bars first.
    I have 800mm bars and thought, “Oh! I’m gonna need to cut these down!”
    Never did.
    Now when I ride my other bike I think, “Oh! These bars are so narrow!”

Also remember that wider bars mean brake hydro and shift cable lengths need to be there to accommodate. Not just in the bike stand, but must accommodate a full left and right turn. :thumbsup:

Cyclotourist, kioti, mike and 8 others like this.
  4. 45acpguy

45acpguy Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    I went ahead with the 760mm Renthal V2 lite Fat Bars. However, I went up to the 35mm bar, so I picked up a 35mm Raceface Turbine stem (50mm length). Digging the gold color too!

Took it out for about 30-45min ride and so far, I’m definitely a fan of the wider bars. First thing I noticed right off the bat- was that I could scoot in the brake levers for a much more comfortable 1-finger brake grip and not have that set up feel too narrow (like it did on my shorter bars). Plenty of cable length for complete L&R turns too!

77976ED1-B033-40E9-BB6D-2CC01A7661C3.jpeg

E9A4424F-C13C-4283-9A69-45C26152B9C2.jpeg

5. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I think you continuously raise the bar for going from the "thinking about" stage to the... "Oh Sh!t! How much have I spent?" stage. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Looks good, by the way... Still too clean, though.

6. 45acpguy

45acpguy Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Why thank you! As far as looking too clean... I still have 3 or weeks of Physical Therapy and then I’ll be ready to get it dirty!

Speaking of starting to hit the trails in the next couple weeks. Would anyone here mind messaging me with some info on a few good “beginner” trails in the area (San Fernando, Simi or Santa Clarita Valley areas).

7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    First off the bike looks fabulous. The good bars with the black XT’s are spot on hot.
    Depending on your definition of beginner trails, I’m a real fan of Tapia. Located right below Lake Castaic, you get a fire road climb and a nice choice of single tracks. Depending on mileage, you can climb Charlie Canyon to the towers and drop Kona and choose to add Carl’s Trail if you want a little more drop, then climb out of there and drop back down Charlie to the car. There are a billion STRAVA records for the Tapia area. If you are not a member of STRAVA, it’s free. www.strava.com
    Plus you can go to Ride Reports here and type in the search “Tapia” check the box for Titles only. Should be a bunch of Ride reports pull up.
    That’s a start.

Danmtchl, mike, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    I just did a search for Tapia in Ride Reports. There are a total of 6 and 5 of them are mine, ha ha!

Danmtchl, mike, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  9. 45acpguy

45acpguy Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Hey Mikie... I’m pretty familiar with Tapia (Kona/Carl’s trail). In fact, that the only Singletrack experience I have. Everything else I’ve ridden had just been fire roads and horse trails. I’d like to find some single track similar to Tapia. Just to mix things up and thanks for info on STRAVA, I’ll be sure to check it out.

Danmtchl, mike, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Danmtchl, mike and 45acpguy like this.
  11. 45acpguy

45acpguy Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    I was reading those ride reports. So, that main fire road that took you to the top of Tapia (towers) is now closed?

I was browsing through that list of trails mentioned in that link you just sent ealier this evening

Danmtchl, mike, kioti and 1 other person like this.
  12. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    There are two roads to the top. Tapia Canyon and Charlie Canyon. Tapia Canyon is closed in the middle but open at the bottom and top. Take the Northern Canyon, “Charlie Canyon” to the towers and you will be fine.
    There is a bunch of Singletrack out there from mild to wild.

Cyclotourist, Danmtchl, mike and 4 others like this.
  13. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    I like Tapia because the climbing per reward coming back down is minimal compared to every where else in the Greater Los Angeles area. There is at least three routes to hit from the top at the towers so be ready to do that lil' climb three times.

What were we talking about again here, handlebars?

Cyclotourist, Mikie, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  14. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    A quick jaunt down the 210 puts you at Monroe Truck Trail... An 8 mile (2000+ feet) twisty single track that is pretty popular, and one of @Runs with Scissors normal rides. The lower creek has a few rocks, but the majority of the trail is fast and flowy on the way down... and up. There are even a couple jumps built in to keep the shuttle crowd happy. I never understood shutting it, but to each their own...

Alternately- You can hang with the roadies and climb Glendora Mountain Road and then descend Monroe Truck Trail. That would be a nice 16 mile loop. The road climb is easier than the trail, but they are both fun.

And alternately, alternately- You can be crazy and do extra credit roadie miles all the way to Baldy Village.

Edit: If your fitness isn't there... Climb the trail until you're done and turn around. Downhill all the way back out.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  15. 45acpguy

45acpguy Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    I’ll have to rendezvous with some of you guys up at Tapia. Been a few years since I was last up there. Sidewinder looks fairly mellow. From what I remember, G-out and Dawg Tag were the more technical single tracks up there.

Mikie, Danmtchl, kioti and 2 others like this.
  16. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    10mm is a mile far as I am concerned. That's a substantial change is body position, mass distribution, performance.

17. ULEWZ

ULEWZ Member

Name:
    Lew
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer Pro Carbon
    I live next door to granada Hills (Northridge) and will take an easy trail like the trails off Las Vergenes when I haven't ridden in a while or just want something mellow. Tapia/dogtag/Kona are still our favorites though. Sometimes you will even run into the imbt guys there.