Chameleon - Highball

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by JordanHMay, Apr 29, 2018.

1. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    I know a couple of you have or will be getting the new Highball frame and also have Chameleons. (Jay / Steve)

I’m curious what parts off your Chameleon won’t work on the Highball? I’m looking into possibly getting a frame but until I can afford to build it maybe I’ll swap over parts from my Chameleon when I need the lighter bike.

I’m not seeing much that won’t work aside from the seatpost. I believe the new Highball uses boost spacing? If so, the wheels should be fine. The fork is 120 but I don’t see that being an issue other than more travel.

Thoughts?

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Everything will work but the seatpost. 31.6 vs. 27.2 This will limit your options for a dropper.....if you are into those kinds of things.

Fork should be no problem at 120mm.....I ran mine at 130mm. I think 100mm is too short, especially these days.

I did have the opportunity to throw my leg over the last version of the HBc.....gotta say it felt weird. Maybe it was because I had already spent a few weeks riding the Chameleon and had adjusted to the newer geometry. But that also could just have been how it was set up.

The new version looks great(save for the stupid 27.2 SP). If only they made it with SS dropouts....I would have been all over it.

Also....just to throw a monkey wrench into things.....rumor(strong rumor) has it that there is a carbon Chameleon on it's way. Could be the best of both worlds.

3. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    Thanks J. I thought you were on a new one yesterday? Good news on the carbon Chameleon but why you gotta play with my emotions like that! :)

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Nope.....good ole aluminum Chameleon like you. I just covered the purple logos.

SC warrantied my HBa with a HBc, but I sold it for the Chameleon.

How light are you trying to go? My Chameleon in SS form is 24.5 lbs.

5. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    My cracked aluminum Highball is still hanging on the wall waiting for an answer from Santa Cruz, but I will say that they ride nothing alike. When I jump on the Highball, it wants to run... The more XCish geometry is just crazy fast. I really would have preferred the Highball for VQ and for Rwanda. For True Grit, I had both bikes with me in Utah, and never considered the Highball.

Carbon Chameleon? Uh oh. The wife isn't going to like that.

herzalot, Danimal, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  6. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    I don’t have a target. I’m just looking at options down the line. It’s nice knowing what can work with existing parts to save $ later.

I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on some upgrades. XT brakes, carbon bars, SC reserve wheels and maybe a couple other small things. That should take a chunk off.

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

The stock stem/bars are boat anchors. Yeah, swapping all those out will definitely make her skinnier.

8. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    What stem did you move to? I find almost all of the RF stems are about the same weight.

Danmtchl likes this.
  9. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    What's a good stem upgrade? I couldn't find anything with a 35mm clamp that was significantly lighter. I went ahead and picked up a crabon fibre bar, and it was something like six or eight ounces lighter than the stock one.

I sooo don't want to go all weight weenie, but I've been looking at Race Face SL cranksets... that would take off a chunk of weight as well.

mtnbikej, Danmtchl and SnakeCharmer like this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Believe it or not the Salsa Guide Trail was about 107g for a 50mm stem.

Cyclotourist and JordanHMay like this.
  11. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    Okay now I see you’re running 31.8 bars. Many more options on the smaller bars. Most of the 35 bars are all around 170g.

mtnbikej likes this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Yeah, I put it on my wife's Tallboy.

I just kept the stock RF stem....I couldn't find a lighter 35mm stem without spending a ton of money. The 31.8 Salsa was great for $40.

Cyclotourist and JordanHMay like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    "You have balls of steel? Well I beg your pardon...

I saved a few grams 'cause mine are made of CARBON!"

Always good for a viewing...

14. Torrent77

Torrent77 Member

Name:
    Dave
    I think the scooter won

herzalot likes this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    As much as I hate to admit it, the roadie won. The line "...I wouldn't ride your bikes, but I'd Enduro your Mom" was just too solid to ignore.

Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.