Cannell Trail Hooligans and Shenanigans...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Faust29, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around yesterday. I rode an epic in Oregon earlier in the week, drove 1000 miles home, and then headed for Kernville. My wife said she should have just dropped me off on the way through the other night... :p What a day. I'll let the pictures do the talking...

Thanks to Jason for driving... It's a long way to go for a ride. And thanks for the monster truck tire. :thumbsup: Thanks to Grego and the Trailslayer for the company along the way. A special thank you to Luis for bringing his wife along. It was a pleasure to meet her. I may have had a couple beers, but I won't forget the story she and Luis shared! Ross- Entertaining as always from start to finish. Always a pleasure to ride with Voodoo Tom, and it was awesome fun trying in vain to keep up with that new Yeti on the upper sections. Burt- You're awesome to watch. Thanks for the show, as always. And to Mikie- You made it possible. Thanks, Man!

I will say that the trail itself is a lot looser and chunkier from top to bottom right now than it was last year. I'm really glad I had the Chameleon this time around. @Cyclotourist - The frame absorbs a lot more of the hits than the Highball, and the geometry makes it a riot through the chunky stuff. It's more capable than I am... And paired with a Minion 2.5 in the front (my first time), it was much more stable through the sand, rock, and washed out sections. The more I ride this bike, the more I'm falling in love... :inlove:

@Mikie, @Voodoo Tom , @burt , @Luis , @Grego , @Trailslayer, @mtnbikej , @rossage, @horsebikerider

iCloud Photo Album: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0O5Iy2hCtf7d5

YouTube Videos:

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    @Faust29, that's it? o_O

We need more! More words, more reporting, more details, more pics, more video. :cool:

3. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I need more coffee. Words are hard right now.

Voodoo Tom, PATKOUG, rossage and 5 others like this.
  4. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Well, it was a good start anyway. :thumbsup:

PATKOUG, Faust29, mike and 3 others like this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Looks like a great time.

Grego, Mikie, Voodoo Tom and 5 others like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Specialized has a team of lawyers trying to figure out what to do with all of you Stumpjumpers not on Specialized products...

Cool little feature. Looks like the landing was lower and farther away than I expected.

Sounds like a great ride, too! It's on my list.

Grego, Mikie, Voodoo Tom and 7 others like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Did you notice what's on the front of my bike? Jason loaned me a moto tire. It was freaking awesome... Going downhill. But it took three of us to load the front of the bike on the truck. :p

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Yesterday was a long day.

It started Friday when I was putting the rack on the truck. I went to install the 2 bike add on, when I noticed it looked a little.....off. Sh*t :poop: I forgot I stole one of the trays to build the tandem rack. No problem, just meant 1 bike would go in the bed of the truck.

Up at 2am....yes, that is early even for me. Good thing I went to bed early on Friday. @faust was meeting me at my place just after 3:00...a bit early, but we needed to swap out his 27.5+ wheels for the 29ers that @horsebikerider had been borrowing. We also needed to put sealant into the front tire since it was a freshly mounted Minion on his wheel. It all went together easy, and after a quick caliper adjustment, we loaded up and hit the road about 3:15. Headed over to Fullerton to pick up @Grego and Vincent.

Finally on the road about 3:40. This time of morning on a Saturday was quiet and fast....until we got up around Magic Mountain. Navigation system said there was a problem, so it rerouted us onto some city streets for a few miles, only to put us back on the freeway right at some closed lanes due to road work. Fortunately we got through it quickly. It was dark and the drive seemed to go by easy. We would make it into Kernville about 6:40. We parked in front of Cheryl's and waited for them to open to grab some breakfast. Just as they opened, @rossage , @Luis , @burt and Luis's wife showed up. So we had a nice group. Filled up and a couple minute drive got us to MRA for the shuttle.

Got checked in, when @Mikie and @Voodoo Tom rolled in. After morning greetings, we all started gearing up. The shuttle driver said there were only 9 total for our trip. 7 of us, plus 2 others. Well the 2 others never showed up...so we had the van to ourselves. It's a long drive up to Sherman Pass. Uneventful except for the deer that almost decided to run into the side of the van/trailer. We made it up to the drop/parking lot. Much nicer this year without the huge crowd. Temps threatened to be a little brisk, but honestly it was very comfortable. Last minute restroom visits and a group pic...yes, we made sure @Faust29 got in the pic this time.

IMG_2994.JPG

Geared up and ready to go....we dropped in off the pavement and hit the dirt. Not 25' into the dirt, I almost tucked the front end. :eek: I thought, on no, it's gonna be one of those days. The pace as usual starts off fast since it DH from the start. It was soft and dusty. The Maxxis Forecaster I had mounted to the front of the Tallboy was struggling to hook up. :cautious::thumbsdown: Most of us were struggling for air at 9100'+ elevation. We then began the initial climb. The trail was much looser this year...but I was on gears. Shifted down and slowed my spin. Following @Mikie on the new sled with the XL pizza pan on the back....he eventually pulled off and I went by. @rossage was right on my back wheel. We took it easy on the climb. It is always longer and steeper than I remember. @burt was out front. Eventually we hit the top of the climb....phew!!! Last year I had to walk on the SS....this year I cleaned it, but my HR was still in the red.

IMG_2996.JPG

After a break we finally started to get into the fun. @burt @Mikie and Vincent took off. I jumped in behind. However with the dust couldn't see the trail, so I had no option but to back off a little. @ luis caught up to me. We rolled into the first chunky section. Last year this section seemed chunkier than I had remembered, but it had been 4 years. This year it was much chunkier than it was last year, and I was on FS this time. Still fun, but no Oh Sh!t moments this time...much more in control.

After a regroup we hit the smoothest section of the ride....the fireroad climb. This climb is longer than it seems. It is no difficult, but just keeps going. The water at the spring coming out of the pipe was running, but not that fast. We got a little spread out on the climb. Another break at the top then onto the next flowy section that turns pretty chunky in no time. Again, I was in the mid/front of the pack. This chunky section of trail was really chunky....like WOW :eek: chunky. about 1/2 way through, I dropped my chain. Vincent and Ross went by. We passed Burt fixing a flat. Shortly after that I dropped my chain again. o_O We then got into the chunkiest part of this section. It's fast and rough...but sooooo fun and sooooo satisfying. By now, my Forecaster was finally behaving and hooking up. At the end of the trail, we regrouped and did the 2 minute roll to the cabin at the meadow for a break.

IMG_2999.JPG

We waited quite a while for Burt to finally get there. Lots of pics and Sh!t talking. At this point the ride had gone by way too quick....it always does. Remounted and riding through the meadow. No cows this time...but cow patties everywhere. If you were lucky, you'd only his the dry ones. Several downed trees to get around. We hit all the bouldering section next to the creek after the meadow. Fun and techy, but a few spots that were not ridable.

IMG_2997.JPG

One last regroup before we started the final ascent up to the plunge. Again this seemed longer than last time. Mikie, Vincent and Burt took off when we got to the top. We came around the corner to the Vista View that we were denied last year due to the smoke/fire. No this time. It was a bit hazy,but at least you could see. We stopped, took in the view and pictures. Then continued on. Ross hopped on my back wheel. The trail was in rougher shape than last year. I also wasn't pushing for any PR's, so I was good with not pushing the pace. Ross followed my lines....some good, some bad....but laughing the whole way. The HAB climb came up really quick. It was really soft and sandy, and again seemed way longer and steeper.

We regrouped with the back of the pack at the top of the HAB. We would all stay pretty close together the rest of the way down. We rolled through a section of trail that had a fire burn through. It was eerie and cool, but at the same time sad. The trail is fast and flowy through here....but also sandy. Lots of 2 wheel drifts into the berms.

From there you start getting into the long fast straights.....carrying a lot of speed, only to have to slow for a switchback. Some of the switchbacks were chunky....really chunky. Again, some of my lines were good, some not so good....but all were cleaned. We regrouped few more times to just to make sure everyone was still on their bikes. Before we knew it we rolled down to the gate where the others were waiting. High 5's thrown around. Short pedal back to MRA.

Such a blast of a trail. No crashes, only 1 flat. Grego and Vincent got to pop their Cannell cherry.

Cleaned up, loaded up and headed for lunch at the brewery. Fun times sharing the war stories from the ride. Belly's full, said our goodbyes and we started our trek home. Navigation said 3:30....turned out to be closer to 4:30. Traffic was pretty rough from 134 FWY to the 91. I finally pulled into the driveway at about 7:30 Dark when we left, dark when we returned.

Yeah, it was a long day.....fun day, but long. I crawled into bed about 9:30. :sleep:

9. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Thanks for the RR... sounds and looks like a great time was had! Appreciate the positive feedback on the Chameleon @faust... rode w/ @riiz yesterday with his, and everything I hear is all positive! One week to go!

Tom the Bomb, PATKOUG, Grego and 5 others like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I started to clean the mud off the bike today. Realized there was hardly any mud. Mooooooo... :p

I also ordered some new brake pads. :whistling:

11. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Here ya go. Good times! Don't ask what he's doing here...
    can1.jpg

12. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I'm sporting wood! It was a love fest out there in the meadow...

13. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Yeah, the Plunge will kill a set of pads.

Tom the Bomb, Grego, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  14. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    That's some serious wood ya got there @rossage! :eek::stop::rolleyes::D

15. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    That's what she said!

So, this ride went down like a Seal Team 6 strike. It was unusual in its lack of unusualness. From the impromptu breakfast meeting to the parking lot prologue, everything went right.
    Nobody had a major mechanical or crash on the trail though I suspect some people, like me, will find something upon further inspection.
    The weather was great, the views impressive.
    The door-kickers on the raid were led by @Mikie and his new bike stoke. Burt, Luis , @Voodoo Tom and Vincent went for broke on the descents, and showed up broke for the climbs!
    Me, @Grego and @Faust29 followed @mtnbikej and his eclectic lines down the plunge. Fast fun, challenging and occasionally laughing, "Wtf?"

I ended up with a broken nipple on my rear wheel, disc side. Brass too. Probably happened when I picked up a stick riding through the branches of a fallen tree.
    My brand new G -form Pro X pads fit great but blew a seam and will be headed back to warranty.
    Also brand new, my Kali Interceptor helmet was cool, fit well, and did not move down on my forehead like the Ambush. The helmet played well with my shades and the visor actually works.

After a wonderful evening and camping, we awoke to smoke filled skies. An early morning ride was scuttled and the drive home over Walker Pass was worth it.

Didn't take too many pics but here's one,

2017-09-17 15.47.03.jpg

16. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    What in the world is left for me to add? Great job fellers.
    This was another Trail Slayer Production.

Vince "The Trail Slayer" asked me while I beleaguered at SART earlier this year what was the next epic I had on menu for him and having to live up to The Trail Slayer expectations I blurted out, "Cannell Plunge!" aka Cannell Trail. Some have stated it is ranked as the Top 3rd trail in the State of Californication!

To get to the end immediately I need to inform all of you that Vince rated it as maybe his new all time favorite trail. That means now for all of yahs it is required reading! AND... it should be. This trail has it all. Elevation, Short Steeps, Hike-A-Bike, fast and flowy, super chunk, serious DH singletrack finish! :eek:Fashizzle! I'm ready to go back!

I do have a different story for the beginning of this adventure, and that is... this!

Unfortunately... this pic was taken at 5:30pm on Friday the "day before" we rode Cannell.
    santa.cruz.frame.jpg
    Did I trust myself as a bike mechanic to put this together for a maiden voyage down the Cannell Plunge? o_O You know the answer already. The answer is "YES!"
    Cables and hydro lines a little wonky long, I rather trim them later then to risk a bleed for one of Southern California's premium brake burners... The plunge!

But since everyone has already told this events story, I will do my best to bombard you with a pictorial of the day. I dropped them here random and will add commentary as I get time! I will add this one note. This bike has completely surpassed any dreams I ever thought a bike could ever be!

Let's start with the best pic of all! Mrs. @Luis ! She is the sunshine of all sunshine in all of Sylmar.

DSCF1540.jpg

Hooligans!
    DSCF1542.jpg

DSCF1539.jpg

Actually... Everyone is in the pic.

DSCF1544.jpg

DSCF1538.jpg

The Hooligan Kingpin.
    DSCF1537.jpg

Burt! Taking his Stumpjumping his "S"...

DSCF1548.jpg

DSCF1552.jpg
    Grego jumping his WFO!
    DSCF1550.jpg DSCF1553.jpg

DSCF1554.jpg

The Trail Slayer himself. Apparently Cannell Trail got the 5 Chainrings seal of approval... Nice! This kids kicks azz on that bike. he caught me in the chunk....o_O
    DSCF1556.jpg

DSCF1557.jpg

DSCF1566.jpg

DSCF1559.jpg

DSCF1564.jpg

DSCF1560.jpg

DSCF1569.jpg

DSCF1571.jpg

DSCF1568.jpg

DSCF1570.jpg

DSCF1576.jpg

DSCF1574.jpg

DSCF1578.jpg

DSCF1573.jpg

DSCF1577.jpg

DSCF1581.jpg

DSCF1582.jpg

DSCF1580.jpg

DSCF1579.jpg

DSCF1588.jpg

DSCF1586.jpg

DSCF1590.jpg

DSCF1593.jpg

DSCF1592.jpg

Oh! And don't think that a new bike can not change your game. I think I chose very wisely!
    CANNELL.W.HOOLIGANS.PNG
    CANNELL.PRS.PNG

17. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Jason and Steve picked us up at 3:40am. The drive up went by quick IMO even with no views. Skys were dark 90% of the way. Vince still asleep didn't say a word. :sleep: Breakfast at the diner, off to MRA and shuttled up. Like Jason, I too almost crashed around one of the first turns at the beginning of the ride. Front wheel washed out then regained traction in the soft dirt. Once on the first climb I was gasping for oxygen. I'm not used to high elevation. This would hinder me all day on the climbs. A couple descents before the Plunge were a chunkfest. Suspension getting a workout.:thumbsup: Kind of like a warm up for what was to come later. I could have used an ebike for that long fire road climb.:gag: Gorgeous meadows. I managed to dodge most the crap. Then the Plunge.:eek: Holy cow! What can I say? Fast and furious. Rolling rocks, dodging pot holes, chunky, sandy, steep, exposed, flowey, switchbacks, oh my! Went on for quite some time. Following Jason and Ross was nuts.:laugh: I got off line and almost ate it around a chunky turn.:notworthy: Vince killed it all day long. He now says this is the best ride ever! Sorry SART, you're #2 now. Would definitely do this again. Good time riding with y'all. @Mikie setting PR's on his new bike. @Voodoo Tom also on a new steed cool as ever. Dr.@Luis delivering the goods. @burt shredding as usual. @rossage we gotta hang out more often. @Faust29 crazy on the SS. @mtnbikej effortless style and thanks for the lift. The IMTB crew rocks (pun intended)!

can7.jpg

can6.jpg can4.jpg can5.jpg

can3.jpg

can2.jpg

18. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Still blown away by the scenery up there...

IMG_1134 (1).jpg

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

That section was soooo surreal.

20. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Man I want to do this ride. I had a race series opener that I commuted to today. Couldn't pull both off this weekend. Looked like a great time.

21. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    This ride capped off a very eventful week for @burt, my wife Margie, and myself. After riding in and around Lake Tahoe for six days straight, we drove to Kernville Friday night and set up our tents at the MRA campsite.
    Riding seven days straight left me a little crispy along the edges but I did manage to take ONE picture.
    IMG_2302.JPG
    Here's the first three of the group to make it down the hill. @Mikie on his new rocket, managed to demolish my one second advantage from the last go around. Vince who was chasing me down the lower section of the plunge, passed me on the inside of a rocky switchback :thumbsup: but then lost momentum on a climb and I passed him right back. Fun times!
    Drove back this morning (Sunday) and slept most of the day. :sleep:

22. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Congrats on an uneventful epic ride! Looks beautiful out there. I particularity like the cabin photos! And some some fun stump jumping!
    And yeah, that pretty white bike looks pretty sweet! A PR machine!

23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    You guys smoked it! Nice run, good times. Glad to see The Luises and Burt survived the fun overload up north.

TFPU the pix and prose! :thumbsup:

24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Hmm, if I read this correctly, I see a boatload of PRs and, perhaps more significantly, I see two 3rd places for CLIMBS and a few 2nd places for descents. Are those overall? Meaning, of all STRAVA users on those segments? If so - OMG that's HOT! If not holy crap, that's still amazing. :thumbsup: New bike stoke!!!! Everybody markets a bike that is better at climbing and descending - looks like you helped prove that for the Hightower!

Nice work, y'all! Not jealous at all... :notworthy:

25. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    The PR's are Personal Records, the 3rd places are 3rd place to my personal bests, not overall. I have definitely had better days climbing Cannell.

The only reason I posted that STRAVA data is because in the past I have given it my absolute all on those descents on my Yeti. I mean to the point of reckless abandon. I know I am way behind the curve when it comes to new bike technology. So my point was that for those sitting on the fence getting a new bike, it could be time.

I mentioned a month or two ago that on Golden Eagle I knew something was up if I could not stay in the same zip code as the STRAVA leaders. Heck, that's my home trail! Who could know it better than me? I thought, either I'm getting too old, or I've run out of talent (as @Voodoo Tom would say), or I was being out "Biked". Can't get younger. I can try to get more talent, or I can get a new bike. The right bike for me was the Hightower. I knew it the moment I descended on it.

26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Nope, you are misreading it. Those are all his personal rankings....not overall. The Gold, Silver, Bronze(PR, 2nd, 3rd) indicate his placing amongst all of his times on those segments.

If it were top 10 overall you'd get a Gold Cup with the ranking on it(2-10).

27. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    Hey @Luis What did MRA charge for a campsite? Was it crowded? TIA :thumbsup:

28. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    Congrats on the new bikes @Mikie and @Voodoo Tom !! So funny cuz I never imagined Mikie would abandon the Yeti Tribe!! That Hightower must be THAT good. It is now on my radar!

Looks like a great group of all stars y'all had up there, would have loved to be there! In the one video with the sound the only one to be heard talkin was @rossage always a blast to ride with, 'specially when he starts singin!

mike, Mikie, UPSed and 10 others like this.
  29. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.

Your name came up a few times the other day! We were talking about all the cool rides we see on Strava... Trees and green!

mike, Voodoo Tom, rossage and 4 others like this.
  30. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    Haha! Nice, just tryin to make you all wanna come here so we can ride! IMTB road journey to the PNW?! Yes please :thumbsup:

Cyclotourist, PATKOUG, mike and 3 others like this.